Re: Getting through this moment

CDFingers wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:37 pm
rockhound wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:15 pm Damn, that sounds good. Glad to see that someone else measures garlic by the head when cooking.
Garlic isn't an ingredient. It's a food group. (Apologies to Leo Rosten The Joys of Yiddish)

CDFingers
Love garlic. I go thru a 2 lb. bag of garlic about every 6-8 weeks. Used to buy the braided garlic strands when I traveled Texas southern borders and Northern Mexico and have bought some from Gilroy in past. Just checked strand prices - damned more expensive now. One of my neighbors swears I use a garlic aftershave. I fear no vampire. :)
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Since I developed GERD and it nearly killed me about 19 or 20 years ago, garlic has been mostly out of my diet, and never, ever heavy, no more than a hint. I eat so little I can tell at 10 paces if someone is a garlic eater. For years, I couldn't eat anything at all with garlic, spices, or acid, like tomatoes, oranges, or vinegar. The only spices I could tolerate were ginger (which is MY "garlic") and cinnamon. Herbs have always been fine, though. It was tough because I LOVE spicy foods, too! But I did lose my taste for garlic, mostly.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wings wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:53 pm Here y'all are salivating or dying because of the garlic, and I'm all over here dying of mushroom poisoning.
How did you eat poison mushrooms? Sounds horrible! Hope you recover.

I'm allergic to neither sunlight nor garlic. I generally tan OK without sun block, even in Abaco. Garlic helped grow me an esophageal bleeding ulcer.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Nice.

Feeling the burnout here. Missing range time. Thinking about bows again, since ammo is what it is. If all goes well this winter, I've got enough to get me through any practice opportunities I'v'e got left. If things go poorly, I'd like more. If things go very poorly, I've got too much already.

Brining a 4.5 lb. pork loin for grill/smoker tomorrow. Will slather in olive oil, diced garlic, herbs de provence and a few twigs of fresh rosemary and smoke for about 3-5 hours.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Now is a time I like to reflect on the cycle of life. 2020--dang. Some year so far. My 40 year old Maple shows this cycle. Burn spots in the leaves from wildfire ash. One seed pod peeking out showing promise of new life while one red leaf portends its own death. So, beer.
cycle2.JPG
You know the rent is in arrears
the dog has not been fed in years
it's even worse than it appears
but it's all right. We will get by.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Removing broken window pane Jake the Boxer tried going thru after spotting something in yard about 2:30 AM. Talk about a wake up!! No cuts on him, so he's okay. I could use some sleep. Boarded up window and will go to local glass cutters for new panes sometime this week.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:39 pm Now is a time I like to reflect on the cycle of life. 2020--dang. Some year so far. My 40 year old Maple shows this cycle. Burn spots in the leaves from wildfire ash. One seed pod peeking out showing promise of new life while one red leaf portends its own death. So, beer.
"The Maple Leaf Forever", formerly Canada's anthem. It a tune that didn't originate as a drinking song like our national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuXtltqPANo
Last edited by highdesert on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

wings wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:55 pm Ow, wino - glad everyone's okay.

Let us know how the pork turned out. Got a shoulder resting after cooking overnight. Baking on deck.
Just took the pork loin off grill about 30 min. ago. very tasty and tender. This was my first brined pork loin and it seems to have kept from drying out as my past unbrined. Just under 3.5 hours at low temp (225 or so), so it cooked fast.

Also just found Jake went dumpster diving while I was working on window. Had thrown some stale sour dough dipping bread in recycle bin from yesterday's Gambas al Ajillo meal forgetting Jake LOVES sour dough bread. Another area to vac, thanks to Jake. We're gonna have to have a come to jesus talk it seems!! :yikes:

Wino wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:19 pm Removing broken window pane Jake the Boxer tried going thru after spotting something in yard about 2:30 AM. Talk about a wake up!! No cuts on him, so he's okay. I could use some sleep. Boarded up window and will go to local glass cutters for new panes sometime this week.
Jake sounds like a great dog, one of the best dogs I ever had and great watch dog was "Doggie", so named because he was a stray and while I tried to figure out his original name he started answering to "here Doggie, Doggie". One day as I moved into a new place he went through a window as a employee of the gas company approached to turn on the gas for me. He took a pointed shard of glass about eight inches long into his shoulder severing an artery, luckily my girl friend at the time was with me, and I held the wound shut with my hands till she drove us to the closest vet. Now that I think about I have no idea how I carried a 75 lb. dog while holding the wound shut, but adrenaline is crazy stuff. Once there the staff rushed me into an empty exam room and the vet came in almost immediately; when I let go of the wound so they could take over, blood spurted about five feet across the room and about 15 seconds later I all but fainted as the adrenaline rush crashed. Doggie had the most anemic gums you ever saw on a dog and was pretty listless for several days after, but he was with me for another five years after that incident, one of many we shared; but I did install clear Plexiglas over all the lower windows he could reach.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"
Attachments
doggie.jpg