Just Held a Gun for the First Time -- Why don't we all have 1911's?

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

darmok
Helpful Contributor

Re: Just Held a Gun for the First Time -- Why don't we all have 1911's?

Post by darmok »

Rust wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:18 am
it wasn't that releasing the slide lock approximates recoil for all semi-autos, it's that for my friend's particular 1911, it does
(7 grains of powder accelerating 1/2 ounce of lead to 850 feet per second in 1/1000 of a second + the slide moving back and hitting the slide stop + the slide moving forward) does not = (the slide moving forward).

Point taken!

darmok
Helpful Contributor

Post by darmok »

Stiff wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:08 pm
A handgun is quite a personal choice. I remember when I rented my first batch of pistols to try, some were more accurate than others for me.
My recent experience has driven this home for me!

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Buck13 »

Rust wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:18 am
it wasn't that releasing the slide lock approximates recoil for all semi-autos, it's that for my friend's particular 1911, it does
(7 grains of powder accelerating 1/2 ounce of lead to 850 feet per second in 1/1000 of a second + the slide moving back and hitting the slide stop + the slide moving forward) does not = (the slide moving forward).
:clap:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Buck13 »

wings wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 am
A Ruger Mark II
Embrace the Dark Side! I have two of them, and I want two more...

Which reminds me: it's time to look on Gunbroker for that 6-7/8" tapered bull barrel target model I've been waiting to meet for a couple of years. Somehow I resisted the siren song of the one I saw last winter that already had a Volquartsen trigger!

If you're unlucky, you too will someday be able to spell "Volquartsen." ;)
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

SpaceRanger42
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SpaceRanger42 »

I like my modern ply frame steel slide pistol. It's accurate and dependable and parts are easy to come by. But That does not reduce in any way my love of the pattern 70 1911 and many of it's descendants. :)
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.
Yes, I haz a moose. :D

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

My favorite 45acp:
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

re the original question: some people are simply not worthy.

damnitman
Been around awhile

Post by damnitman »

I was spoiled on the 1911 in boot camp. It was the first pistol I had shot to amount to anything, so paying close attention to the instruction, and not having bad habits to unlearn, I shot it very well first time out. They have been my favorite ever since.

I have other nice pistols, Beretta 92, CZ 75, Hi powers, and several really nice revolvers, but the one on my hip will always remain a 1911.

Crow
Helpful Contributor

Post by Crow »

I grew up on revolvers, mostly .357s, and of course my trusty old Ruger Blackhawk single six .22 (probably the one gun I'd never part with)... It took me a long time to come around to the idea of owning a semi-auto pistol, mainly because of how much I hated shooting my dad's S&W 4506 back when I was a kid ... my ten year old self just couldn't handle the weight or the recoil, and no one ever taught me that you can't hold a semi like a revolver. A few years ago I bought a Rock Island 1911 and spent some time working on recoil management, which I found largely came down to grip. Like most people here, I'd disagree with the idea that chambering a round approximates felt recoil, but I would like to add that dry fire practice (drawing, presenting, "firing", reloading, chambering, etc.) is invaluable when it comes to setting muscle memory. I've become a much better shot through spending a couple hours a week just focusing on how I draw and hold the pistol. If my grip and presentation are consistently good, recoil is minimal and my shots are (more or less) on target when I do get out to the range. It doesn't really matter what pistol you're running... the same advice holds true.

This year I picked up a CZ75 9mm and I've been shooting that a bit more than the 1911. A CZ75 is a really hard gun not to fall in love with instantly, as I bet others here can attest to as well. But if the SHTF, I'd still probably grab the 1911 first... and me old WASR, haha.
Crow

damnitman
Been around awhile

Post by damnitman »

I have read ballistics and firearms experts for decades arguing over the stopping power of the .45 vs 9MM. I wonder, how many people, standing in front of someone who was about to shoot them, and given a choice, would pick a 1911 in .45 over a Glock 9MM. Personally, I would take my chance with the 9MM.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

damnitman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:35 pm
I have read ballistics and firearms experts for decades arguing over the stopping power of the .45 vs 9MM. I wonder, how many people, standing in front of someone who was about to shoot them, and given a choice, would pick a 1911 in .45 over a Glock 9MM. Personally, I would take my chance with the 9MM.
Not if the .45 was FMJ and the 9mm was Spear Home Defense JHP. Frankly, I'd rather not have the muzzle of ANYTHING ever pointed at me again!
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

Stiff
Loquacious

Post by Stiff »

damnitman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:35 pm
They both suck at stopping people. This guy shot a criminal 6 times in fatal areas with his .45, they just weren’t immediately fatal.
https://www.police1.com/officer-shootin ... pnqqHxwMq/

The 9mm vs .45 debate is essentially a 9mm vs M1911 debate. It’s less about the caliber than it is about justifying the 1911.

Carry what you shoot best with, that matters more than caliber. A single hit with a .22 is more lethal than 7 misses with a .45.
When the ignorant are united and the informed are divided, the result is an idiocracy.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

BURN the heretic!