1911 Sear Spring trouble

I have an older Kimber Custom II series 70 full size, which was gifted to me by a good friend.
Since none of us has any idea how much use it had had by his father (original owner) I went and replaced the springs in it save the sear spring.
All was fine in the 1911 world of shooting a classic pistol. So I decided to change the Sear Spring and mainspring as well.
The problem was after putting in the new Sear spring the grip safety didn't work and hand no "bounce" or spring tension, it would just just move slightly back and forth.
I used a Wilson Combat Spring Set, so I went and got a Kimber Sear spring and the same thing happened...what gives...it seems almost as if the part that rests on the Sear spring "finger is sliding off or not engaging.

I put it back together and felt a very slight "click" on the grip safety and then "no-go" the safety failed the test by allowing the trigger to be pulled and hammer fall when in hand!
I put the original Sear spring back in and it works flawlessly.

2 different Sear Springs, neither of which work....what to do?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Re: 1911 Sear Spring trouble

Leave the original Sear spring in there. I've never heard of a sear spring failing. If you do change it, when you get done adjusting the Sear spring, do safety checks:
https://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml

When dealing with any unknown history 1911, I would change the recoil spring and magazine springs. Hammer springs apparently do eventually go bad, but the round count is on the order of 20,000, and your pistol will probably tell you through cartridges not firing.

A shop manual is available: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/kuh ... pdf.19098/

Re: 1911 Sear Spring trouble

MaxwellG wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm I have an older Kimber Custom II series 70 full size, which was gifted to me by a good friend.
Since none of us has any idea how much use it had had by his father (original owner) I went and replaced the springs in it save the sear spring.
All was fine in the 1911 world of shooting a classic pistol. So I decided to change the Sear Spring and mainspring as well.
The problem was after putting in the new Sear spring the grip safety airgunmaniac didn't work and hand no "bounce" or spring tension, it would just just move slightly back and forth.
I used a Wilson Combat Spring Set, so I went and got a Kimber Sear spring and the same thing happened...what gives...it seems almost as if the part that rests on the Sear spring "finger is sliding off or not engaging.

I put it back together and felt a very slight "click" on the grip safety and then "no-go" the safety failed the test by allowing the trigger to be pulled and hammer fall when in hand!
I put the original Sear spring back in and it works flawlessly.

2 different Sear Springs, neither of which work....what to do?
The sear spring must be hand-fitted.