Re: Caring for a wood stock

Not sure how dirty it might be but unless you got grease or something smeared inside it; I think Mineral Sprits or Turpentine wouldn't hurt the interior, and could always give it a thin coat of tung oil for protection. If your asking about the exterior; how is it finished?
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno wrote:Not sure how dirty it might be but unless you got grease or something smeared inside it; I think Mineral Sprits or Turpentine wouldn't hurt the interior, and could always give it a thin coat of tung oil for protection. If your asking about the exterior; how is it finished?
I’m not really sure how it’s finished, it’s however it comes from the Ruger factory.

For gritty dust, do you have a way to blow it out with a compressor? Sometimes a rag doesn't always get out that stuff, so blowing on it or a compressor will get it out.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Maccabee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm
geno wrote:Satin or gloss?
Satin.
If I remember right Johnson’s paste wax gives a satin finish, you could also check for waxes with carnuba wax in it but it might be glosser; not sure what brands you might find. If its close to you, you could check Woodcrafters 212 NE 6th Ave, Portland, OR 97232, they are one of the better shops for woodworkers, in Portland.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno wrote:
Maccabee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm
geno wrote:Satin or gloss?
Satin.
If I remember right Johnson’s paste wax gives a satin finish, you could also check for waxes with carnuba wax in it but it might be glosser; not sure what brands you might find. If its close to you, you could check Woodcrafters 212 NE 6th Ave, Portland, OR 97232, they are one of the better shops for woodworkers, in Portland.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll check them out.

There isn't much you can do to protect wood from cracking that is varnished besides humidification.
. And no one wants moisture around a gun. Swedish oil will not penetrate varnish or other topical finishes.
If the wood is just stained and oiled that's different.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”