"‘Ghost Guns’: Firearm Kits Bought Online Fuel Epidemic of Violence"

‘Ghost Guns’: Firearm Kits Bought Online Fuel Epidemic of Violence
Ghost guns — untraceable firearms without serial numbers, assembled from components bought online — are increasingly becoming the lethal weapon of easy access for those legally barred from buying or owning guns around the country. The criminal underground has long relied on stolen weapons with sanded-off serial numbers, but ghost guns represent a digital-age upgrade, and they are especially prevalent in coastal blue states with strict firearm laws.

Nowhere is that truer than in California, where their proliferation has reached epidemic proportions, according to local and federal law enforcement officials in Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego and San Francisco. Over the past 18 months, the officials said, ghost guns accounted for 25 to 50 percent of firearms recovered at crime scenes. The vast majority of suspects caught with them were legally prohibited from having guns.

“I’ve been on the force for 30 years next month, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Lt. Paul Phillips of the San Diego Police Department, who this year organized the force’s first unit dedicated to homemade firearms. By the beginning of October, he said, the department had recovered almost 400 ghost guns, about double the total for all of 2020 with nearly three months to go in the year.

Re: "‘Ghost Guns’: Firearm Kits Bought Online Fuel Epidemic of Violence"

Heard a new term in a British crime drama recently, "ghost ammo". One of the characters had a reloading press making his own ammo legally and the coppers identified it as ghost ammo.

I really question if there are more unserialized "ghost guns" out there or just that law enforcement and the media are more sensitive to their existence.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "‘Ghost Guns’: Firearm Kits Bought Online Fuel Epidemic of Violence"

highdesert wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:36 am Heard a new term in a British crime drama recently, "ghost ammo". One of the characters had a reloading press making his own ammo legally and the coppers identified it as ghost ammo.

I really question if there are more unserialized "ghost guns" out there or just that law enforcement and the media are more sensitive to their existence.
More media invented BS that will be used by the ban proponents at some point. Obvious way to start attacking reloading. This is just getting absurd.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.