ATF seizes firearms in raid of Missouri FFL

ATF Raids Osage Beach Gun Shop, Seizes Firearms
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives executed a federal search warrant at 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 9, on Skelton Tactical in Osage Beach, Mo.
“They said I sold a gun without a background check, but what I sold was a 1898 Krag–Jørgensen, and it doesn’t have to have a background check,” Skelton said.
An ATF spokesman said that the investigation was limited to this one store and the agency had been working on the investigation, “for some time.”
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: ATF seizes firearms in raid of Missouri FFL

“They’re here to confiscate my guns. They’re putting them all in the trailer and they’re going to take off with them,” Skelton said. “It’s against my constitutional rights."
No constitutional right to sell firearms illegally.

Biden paid his dues to Gifford's, Everytown and the other anti-gun groups by nominating David Chipman, but his nomination was pulled in September due to Democratic opposition.
Unknown when they will nominate someone else.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"No constitutional right to sell firearms illegally." is true, but antique guns are subject to different regulation. For example, they can be shipped to your house without a background check. I don't know if the 1898 Krag-Jorgensen qualifies as an antique off the top of my head,but ATF should...
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

I understand there is a difference between an FFL and a C&R, but we only have the gun store owners word that the ATF raid was because of that rifle. A reproduction 1898 Krag-Jorgensen is not the same as an original as sig pointed out, it has to be in manufactured in 1898. And ATF said they had been working on that case for some time, which makes me think there were some other questionable sales. I'm not here to defend ATF, they have to make their case in court.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:19 pm I understand there is a difference between an FFL and a C&R, but we only have the gun store owners word that the ATF raid was because of that rifle. A reproduction 1898 Krag-Jorgensen is not the same as an original as sig pointed out, it has to be in manufactured in 1898. And ATF said they had been working on that case for some time, which makes me think there were some other questionable sales. I'm not here to defend ATF, they have to make their case in court.
A C&R license is a Type 3 FFL.

But antiques are another and separate classification. It is not terribly complex but there is the onus of establishing a manufacturing date when the records are most likely long, long gone.

There are other possibilities; a gun using a primitive firing system such as flint or match lock, even percussion caps MAY be an antique. That can also include modern replicas as long as they have not been modified to fire rimfire or centerfire ammo.

So for now we simply know that it would be very difficult to establish a Krag 1898 as an antique. There is lots to this story that has not and quite likely will not be divulged.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I'm confused. How hard is it for an FFL to say" That's illegal. I can't do what you're asking!" Can't have a sting if they don't take the bait and stay legal.

At local gun shop, I watched clerk fill out 4473 form whilst selling a young lady a gun she did not know how to use. Illegal, only if you get caught.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

wpkato wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:18 pm Well according to the brother of the owner of Skelton Tactical, the issue seems to be an apparent "sting" with two ATF agents buying a weapon in the store in an attempted straw purchase, which is still up for debate.
Aw Jeez, I just won 52 million playing Powerball lottery. I was going to buy every LGC member a new gun!!!! But if it's a straw purchase for one person to fill out the paperwork and someone else to pay.....well I guess I'm not buying everyone a gun. Too bad!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle