"The Armed Fisherman" makes waves in Florida by openly carrying firearms

Not a new thing, but occasionally some fear pieces are written about this guy.

He walked Clearwater Beach with an AR-15. Is he a menace or a martyr?
Four Clearwater Police officers stopped him minutes later, about 100 yards from Pier 60. Taylor, who also carried a handgun on his hip, wasn’t worried. He was used to being stopped by cops — he sought it out, even. This is what the camera was for.

Taylor, proprietor of a YouTube channel called The Armed Fisherman, has for three years traveled Florida with his fishing pole, flag and weapons. He almost always provokes a police response, which he gladly uploads. The videos get tens of thousands of views, part of an online ecosystem of so-called civil-rights auditors, who invite and film confrontations with police and other officials.

Openly carrying firearms is illegal in Florida, but state law makes a few exceptions, including one that allows open-carry while hunting, camping or fishing, and while going to and from those activities. Taylor tests this law time and again.
https://youtu.be/LQIDPxFmy7w?t=123

Re: "The Armed Fisherman" makes waves in Florida by openly carrying firearms

“If the officers have the skill level and knowledge they’re supposed to have, this should be fairly routine,” Thomas said. “What scares me is somebody is going to overdo it, and the officer is going to overdo it.”
It's Taylor's right, but it's not very smart. On the other hand I have no problem with filming encounters with cops, many non-gun related encounters are posted online.
“We’ve all seen COPS,” Dewberry said. “Lots of us have seen Live PD.

“Those are heavily tilted toward the state’s point of view. Now we get to see it from the other point of view. That can make some people uncomfortable, but it’s the other side of the story.”
True, glad that those two shows were dropped.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I used to be in the fence (neutral) about this type of advocacy; but after the spate of mass casualty killing events in this country it’s my opinion that This type of performative nonsense doesn’t help the 2A.

These confrontational OC types (AR slung in a single point tactical sling) body armor Cosplay, that look like active shooters are bound to cause a mistake. Honestly they would cause me to keep my distance as well and I’m always armed. I don’t find them to be kindred spirits.

I “open carry” a shotgun while bird hunting, or for whitetails; but that’s not what he is trying to do. As long as you are hunting in a safe & legal manner, it’s NBD. I’ve toyed with getting a a .350 legend upper, but I’ve been happy enough with my conventional looking, Henry .357. Carrying an AR around in a heavily populated state like Ohio is asking to be misunderstood. I’m not saying it should be stigmatized- but the active shooters have made us feel otherwise.

I have “open carry” a handgun while woods bumming, or hiking in public, wildlife areas, and I have never once had a wild life Officer question my right to do so. Because I don’t look threatening & I go about my business. Generally people are not alerted to a holstered pistol. I used to OC around town occasionally& nobody even notices. I don’t do it anymore - I don’t like attracting any attentions at all.

This guy just wants attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:16 am I used to be in the fence (neutral) about this type of advocacy; but after the spate of mass casualty killing events in this country it’s my opinion that This type of performative nonsense doesn’t help the 2A.

These confrontational OC types (AR slung in a single point tactical sling) body armor Cosplay, that look like active shooters are bound to cause a mistake. Honestly they would cause me to keep my distance as well and I’m always armed. I don’t find them to be kindred spirits.

I “open carry” a shotgun while bird hunting, or for whitetails; but that’s not what he is trying to do. As long as you are hunting in a safe & legal manner, it’s NBD. I’ve toyed with getting a a .350 legend upper, but I’ve been happy enough with my conventional looking, Henry .357. Carrying an AR around in a heavily populated state like Ohio is asking to be misunderstood. I’m not saying it should be stigmatized- but the active shooters have made us feel otherwise.

I have “open carry” a handgun while woods bumming, or hiking in public, wildlife areas, and I have never once had a wild life Officer question my right to do so. Because I don’t look threatening & I go about my business. Generally people are not alerted to a holstered pistol. I used to OC around town occasionally& nobody even notices. I don’t do it anymore - I don’t like attracting any attentions at all.

This guy just wants attention.

I actually have swung the other way on OC, especially by people of color. You see the kid gloves that armed white right wing protestors are treated with, and the aggression and attacks on unarmed protestors who are people of color. I think it makes a huge difference, and there's a reason (anti gun agenda) why the mainstream media is completely ignoring the NFAC and other armed groups that are by and for people of color.

INVICTVS138 wrote:I’m not saying it should be stigmatized- but the active shooters have made us feel otherwise.
I am not sure who your "us" is supposed include, but I've never met an "active shooter." Nor do I have unfounded fears of being shot, given the extremely low odds of becoming a shooting victim.

sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote:I’m not saying it should be stigmatized- but the active shooters have made us feel otherwise.
I am not sure who your "us" is supposed include, but I've never met an "active shooter." Nor do I have unfounded fears of being shot, given the extremely low odds of becoming a shooting victim.
I agree with you - these mass casualty events are extremely rare and should not drive hardware bans with out analysis of this extremely rare problem. I think a lot of people are afraid of active shooters, Because of all the media sensationalism & fear mongering - that drive advertising clicks. I have not heard a “good” policy solution to deal with the threat active shooters In our society present. Basically just be prepared.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to have to defend myself against one with a J-frame. I tend to avoid places that active shooters would tend to frequent. But hey, my kids go to public school & I like to see the occasional thrash metal concert. I can’t defend myself in those places as I am disarmed by the laws.

It’s my opinion, that cosplay with armor & tactical gear and with military pattern semi auto is actually detrimental to 2A advocacy. Not necessarily this fisherman guy, but the intent of many of these OC cosplay people is to terrify minority’s from voting, and support an authoritarian coup. Just my opinion though.

I hardly ever see OC here in AZ where it's been legal forever. Probably because CC is also legal and most people have figured out your a target for doing OC. Course I never go to Valmarts.
This kinda reminds me of the American Civil War reenactments. Why? Which side are you really on? Bunch od adults running around playing war. Just stupid.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re: Re:

NegativeApproach wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:59 pm
INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:16 am I used to be in the fence (neutral) about this type of advocacy; but after the spate of mass casualty killing events in this country it’s my opinion that This type of performative nonsense doesn’t help the 2A.

I actually have swung the other way on OC, especially by people of color. You see the kid gloves that armed white right wing protestors are treated with, and the aggression and attacks on unarmed protestors who are people of color. I think it makes a huge difference, and there's a reason (anti gun agenda) why the mainstream media is completely ignoring the NFAC and other armed groups that are by and for people of color.
Desstoni(Des) Johnson Is a Firearms Instructor, owner of Fearless Firearm Instruction, and a Rising social media star in the Black 2a community. Talk Firearms, culture and her recent encounter with police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8HeuoNZbY&t=44s
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”