Re: "Want to Make an Untraceable Handgun at Home? Cody Wilson Can Help."

Zip guns have been around forever, and nobody registers car antennas or rubber bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18BKcdy7Rk
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Eris wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:44 pm
Evo1 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:31 pm How long, though, before someone creates open source software for the printers, and the manufacturer's license becomes irrelevant?
Won't happen. I'm not talking about software you run on your PC. I'm talking about software that is burned into ROM chips soldered into the circuits. You need a capability to manufacture chips in order to replace those, and I doubt if there are any open source groups that have that capability, and even if they did they'd probably run afoul of the DMCA as soon as they tried to reverse engineer the existing chip to determine their inputs and outputs.

Now, none of this means that there won't be open source groups making their own 3D printers from scratch - those already exist.

https://www.open-electronics.org/which- ... d-printer/

But right now they are not capable of making 3d printed guns.
It looks like the 3D printing ecosystem can be 100% open source now - including recycling plastics to make filament.**

https://opensource.com/article/17/5/ope ... g-filament
The first open source 3D printer filament
IC3D's new open source plastic filament for 3D printers means libre options for the entire 3D tool chain.
Firmware's not a problem - it's open as well - and it's super easy to flash microcontrollers. I've been using various types of Arduino devices in ham radio projects - the dev environment is open and flashing requires only a PC and a USB cable.
https://reprap.org/wiki/List_of_Firmware

** Seriously - Recyclebot turns waste plastic into printing filament.
http://www.appropedia.org/Recyclebot
In order to assist researchers explore the full potential of distributed recycling of post-consumer polymer waste, this article describes a recyclebot, which is a waste plastic extruder capable of making commercial quality 3-D printing filament. The device design takes advantage of both the open source hardware methodology and the paradigm developed by the open source self-replicating rapid prototyper (RepRap) 3-D printer community.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am OnPoint did a segment on this case.
http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2018/07/25/ ... un-control
Thanks for the heads up.
DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am Dave Koppel pointed out all this data is already in the wild and the files were already legally distributable. The Obama-era ruling against DD simply prevented them from posting the files online.

A caller pointed out gun manufacturers might have an interest in this.
I've had the files since 2013. Seriously - they're just blueprints and dimensions converted into the code used to talk to a milling machine or a printer. Nothing a teen isn't already doing. As one commenter noted - we've had books with this info for years - why is this special all of a sudden? It was interesting to hear that there are 8 or 9 other folks doing the same thing that Wilson's doing.

Working backward from what gun prohibitionists would want--banning the manufacture of firearms by proles--I suspect this settlement will lead to attempts to ban the sales of firearm parts, such as barrels, triggers, and mags, as accessories since that makes no sense. Each part would require a background check for purchase. Or they might try for a requirement that all homemade firearms have serial numbers.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 am... Or they might try for a requirement that all homemade firearms have serial numbers.
That are issued by the State. That's currently law in CA. Wilson's gun would have to incorporate a metal plate infused into the firearm. There are regulations on the size of the plate, size & depth of the serial number, etc.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/usna

http://www.printedfirearm.com/

https://www.aniwaa.com/3d-printed-guns/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3 ... _and_parts

"No rapid firing on the range." :lol:

They 3D printed barrel as well.

ETA...the original Solid Concepts videos and entire channel have been removed. These interviews have some of the highlights:

Last edited by AndyH on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anarchists Cookbook had all sorts of bad stuff in it when I was a kid the one time I saw a copy. I'm sure there are instructions for all sorts of "bad" devices on the internets, well beyond the destructive capabilities of a shitty plastic gun. Freedom isn't without risks and the information age is facilitating all sorts of bad things. I guess I'm unimpressed with just how awful printed guns are.

featureless wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm Anarchists Cookbook had all sorts of bad stuff in it when I was a kid the one time I saw a copy. I'm sure there are instructions for all sorts of "bad" devices on the internets, well beyond the destructive capabilities of a shitty plastic gun. Freedom isn't without risks and the information age is facilitating all sorts of bad things. I guess I'm unimpressed with just how awful printed guns are.
I downloaded a copy of Anarchist's Cookbook of the internet. 8-)

BKinzey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:31 pm
featureless wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm Anarchists Cookbook had all sorts of bad stuff in it when I was a kid the one time I saw a copy. I'm sure there are instructions for all sorts of "bad" devices on the internets, well beyond the destructive capabilities of a shitty plastic gun. Freedom isn't without risks and the information age is facilitating all sorts of bad things. I guess I'm unimpressed with just how awful printed guns are.
I downloaded a copy of Anarchist's Cookbook of the internet. 8-)
You be crazy, yo. :lol:

Democrats fight back, saving Pennsylvanians from files.
Company agrees to block 3D-downloadable guns in Pennsylvania
Shapiro says he, Gov. Tom Wolf and the Pennsylvania State Police sued the company before its formal rollout of a downloadable gun program Wednesday.

Wolf says untraceable guns in the hands of unknown users "is too daunting to stand by and not take action."

CBS Philadelphia reports Shapiro said, "The harm to Pennsylvanians would have been immediate and irreversible. Defense Distributed was promising to distribute guns in Pennsylvania in reckless disregard of the state laws that apply to gun sales and purchases in our Commonwealth. Once these untraceable guns are on our streets and in our schools, we can never get them back.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Defense Distributed Sues New Jersey, Los Angeles Over Legal Threats
Gurbir S. Grewal, the attorney general of New Jersey, sent a threatening letter to Defense Distributed last week that claimed the company's "plans to allow anyone with a 3D printer to download a code and create a fully operational gun directly threatens the public safety of New Jersey's residents....Posting this material online is no different than driving to New Jersey and handing out hard-copy files on any street corner."
Admittedly, I did not know that "handing out" such "hard-copy files" would be illegal in New Jersey. I wonder how they have stopped the scourge of blueprints and CAD files for firearms up to this point.
Grewal ordered the company "to cease and desist from publishing printable-gun computer files for use by New Jersey residents....Should you fail to comply with this letter, my Office will initiate legal action barring you from publishing these files before August 1, 2018."
Defense Distributed informed Grewal on Friday that "all actions contemplated by Defense Distributed are fully protected by the First Amendment, and [Grewal's] attempts to prevent such actions constitute an unconstitutional prior restraint and otherwise violate the United States Constitution and the New Jersey Constitution."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cody-wilso ... able-guns/
"The decision tonight to block Pennsylvania users from downloading these 3D gun files is a victory for public safety and common sense."
If this is 'common sense', count me out.

The files remain in share space where they've been accessible to the world since at least 2013.

It looks like the defcad server(s) might be overloaded.
Ooops!!! 500
Looks like something went wrong!
We track these errors automatically, but if the problem persists feel free to contact us. In the meantime, try refreshing.
Last edited by AndyH on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyH wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 pm It looks like the defcad server(s) might be overloaded.
Ooops!!! 500
We track these errors automatically, but if the problem persists feel free to contact us. In the meantime, try refreshing.
I saw that too, though it loaded (very slowly) on my second try. I wouldn't be surprised if they are being DDOSed.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

New 20 state lawsuit filed today
Twenty states announced Monday that they plan to ask a federal judge in Seattle to immediately issue a temporary restraining order against Defense Distributed, a Texas-based group that has already begun making 3D-printer gun files available on its DEFCAD website after a recent legal settlement with the US State Department.
"After almost 18 months I was skeptical that there was anything else that this administration would do that would truly shock me, but they have," Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson told reporters assembled in Olympia and by phone. "Frankly, it is terrifying... We think that it is important to put a stop to this right away and make it as difficult as humanly possible to access this information."

The new lawsuit, which Ferguson explained will be filed "within hours," comes just one day after Defense Distributed voluntarily agreed to block IP addresses from Pennsylvania after that state’s attorney general filed a similar motion in federal court there.

"Pennsylvania is still suing and we are still responding," Defense Distributed’s founder, Cody Wilson, told Ars.

Preemptively on Sunday, Defense Distributed sued the attorney general of New Jersey and the city attorney of Los Angeles to stop those lawsuits, largely on First Amendment grounds.

In this new 20-state initiative, the Washington attorney general argued that the State Department settlement violated the Administrative Procedure Act and also infringed upon states’ Tenth Amendment right to regulate firearms within their own states. Ferguson pointed out, for example, people convicted of domestic abuse are flagged when they attempt to legally buy a gun. Allowing anyone to download and manufacture their own gun circumvents that process, he said.
But Wilson told Ars it may be too late, as the files went up last Friday evening—days before he said he would resume publishing them on August 1.

"They’re trying to stop me posting files on DEFCAD," he added. "It already happened. They’ve been up working late but the facts in the ground have changed."

The settlement with the State Department, which was signed in April but only took effect in late June, says that the DEFCAD files in question are "approved for public release (unlimited distribution) in any form and are exempt from the export licensing requirements of the [International Traffic in Arms Regulations, ITAR]."

The State Department has also agreed to pay Defense Distributed's legal fees, which total nearly $40,000.

The federal civil suit began more than five years ago when Wilson and Defense Distributed published designs for the "Liberator," the world’s first 3D-printed handgun.

Within months of publication, Defense Distributed received a letter from the United States Department of State's Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance stating that 10 files, including the designs of the Liberator, were in violation of the ITAR. This is despite the fact that these files had already been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times and continue to circulate online.

So even if the states are somehow successful in shutting down DEFCAD this week, the files have already been available to anyone who wanted them.

The United States Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 allows anyone to manufacture their own firearm without a license, but manufacturing such weaponry for sale or transfer does require a federal license.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... -internet/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Eris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm
AndyH wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 pm It looks like the defcad server(s) might be overloaded.
Ooops!!! 500
I saw that too, though it loaded (very slowly) on my second try. I wouldn't be surprised if they are being DDOSed.
Looks like they're using cloud flare - that'll help. It's hit or miss right now. It looks like the server's getting hit hard.

Things are smooth in the torrent spaces, though. The latest package there is version 4.4 and there are enough seeders to make it a 2 or 3 minute download. I haven't yet been able to get any of the files from defcad to see if they're newer than what's in the wild.

States sue Trump administration to block 3D printed guns
On Monday, Reps. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) and Democratic Policy and Communications Committee co-chairman David Cicilline (D-R.I.) announced they will introduce a bill during Tuesday’s pro forma session to prohibit the manufacturing or possession of a 3D printed gun that’s made of plastic.
“We should be doing everything we can to make it more difficult for criminals, children, and individuals with serious mental illness to possess a gun. Instead, the Trump administration’s decision will open the floodgates and allow anyone with access to the internet and a 3D printer to possess a firearm,” he said in a statement.

“Even worse, these weapons are virtually undetectable by modern security devices used in airports, schools, and other would-be targets for mass shooters.”
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

These lawsuits are so short sighted -- they depend on the notion that "we are right and powerful", i.e., what is Constitutional depends on who is in power, rather than any real analysis of the 1A. And for Democrats who can't imagine that they won't be in power, the Trump election ought to be a wakeup call -- never give your opponent a power you would hate to have used against you.

As an example, let's say someone discovers and decides to publish a recipe for a safe brew-at-home with legal ingredients tea that acts as a morning after pill. Alabama decides to sue because it has banned morning after medicine without a prescription and only for those over 18 or some such nonsense. If these states win the ability to restrain extra-territorial publication of 3D files because of laws in their states, it would set a precedent that would allow Alabama to prohibit publishing of the tea recipe, even if the publishing is done from California.

awshoot wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:49 pm These lawsuits are so short sighted -- they depend on the notion that "we are right and powerful", i.e., what is Constitutional depends on who is in power, rather than any real analysis of the 1A. And for Democrats who can't imagine that they won't be in power, the Trump election ought to be a wakeup call -- never give your opponent a power you would hate to have used against you.

As an example, let's say someone discovers and decides to publish a recipe for a safe brew-at-home with legal ingredients tea that acts as a morning after pill. Alabama decides to sue because it has banned morning after medicine without a prescription and only for those over 18 or some such nonsense. If these states win the ability to restrain extra-territorial publication of 3D files because of laws in their states, it would set a precedent that would allow Alabama to prohibit publishing of the tea recipe, even if the publishing is done from California.
Be careful though, they'll accuse you of making ridiculous slippery-slope arguments. Everyone knows that they (Democrats) are objectively morally right, and so there is no equivalence whatsoever between what they want to ban and what Republicans might want to ban. Like Marx and Lenin, they are on the side of historical inevitability; the powers of the universe are behind them, and the evil Republicans are destined to lose in the end, so there is no such risk.

Attorneys General Sue Trump Administration To Block 3D-Printed Guns

President Trump says he's 'looking into' 3D printed plastic guns being sold to public
"I am looking into 3-D Plastic Guns being sold to the public. Already spoke to NRA, doesn't seem to make much sense!" the President tweeted Tuesday, without offering further details about what he'll do about the weapons.
Apparently does not know what 3D printers are since the point of printing your own firearm would not be to have a printed firearm "sold" to you.

https://twitter.com/MassAGO/status/1023996974528454659
Maura Healey
@MassAGO
#BREAKING We are suing the State Department to stop the illegal distribution of 3D-printed guns.
Who is distributing 3D-printed guns?
This is an imminent threat to public safety and we have a responsibility to ensure these guns are never available online in any form.
Was it not an imminent threat 5 years ago?

Just this morning I read an article by the Maricopa Cty. Sherriff in the Chicago Tribune that similarly said:
Imagine a world in which anyone -- including terrorists, felons and domestic abusers -- has immediate access to untraceable guns.
anyone with an internet connection and a 3D printer -- readily available in stores and online -- will be able to make an untraceable handgun, rifle or assault weapon with just a few clicks.
Oh dear, imagine the pandemonium. A criminal's haven!

Imagine a world in which anyone -- including paralegals, delivery drivers, short order cooks, bankers and cashiers -- will be able to make an untraceable handgun, rifle or assault weapon with just a few clicks.

Oh dear, the poor criminals, a nightmare world where anybody could be armed with just a few clicks!