"L.A. County passes gun control measures after mass shootings"

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors unanimously passed a series of gun control measures Tuesday on the heels of last month’s mass shooting in Monterey Park, just eight miles away from the boardroom. The package included roughly half a dozen measures aimed at curbing fatal shootings within the county. Most will need to go through additional vetting before they become county law.

Only two ordinances discussed Tuesday are expected to take effect soon. One would prohibit the sale of .50-caliber handguns — firearms with half-inch-thick bullets — in unincorporated L.A. County. (The state had banned most .50-caliber rifles nearly two decades ago.) The second would prohibit carrying firearms on county property, which includes beaches, parks and buildings — even if the person has a concealed carry permit. There is an exception for law enforcement. The board will take a final vote on the motion, authored by Supervisors Janice Hahn and Hilda Solis, in two weeks.
The county is working on zoning restrictions that would enact a 1,000-foot buffer zone between gun stores and “child safety zones,” which Hahn defined in the meeting as places where children gather, such as playgrounds. The county is also considering an ordinance that would enhance regulations for gun dealers, including requirements that they maintain security cameras and keep a fingerprint log. These regulations would apply only to gun dealers in unincorporated parts of Los Angeles County.
At the meeting, Hahn indicated she was concerned the proposal would be ruled unconstitutional due to the recent Supreme Court ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. Inc. vs. Bruen. In that case, the court ruled any restrictions on gun ownership must be rooted in American history dating to the period when the 2nd Amendment was ratified. Attorney C.D. Michel, president of the California Rifle & Pistol Assn., said he believed the county’s gun reform package violated the 1st and 2nd amendments, and he planned to challenge it in court.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -shootings
https://archive.ph/JHCCT
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "L.A. County passes gun control measures after mass shootings"

At the meeting, Hahn indicated she was concerned the proposal would be ruled unconstitutional due to the recent Supreme Court ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. Inc. vs. Bruen. In that case, the court ruled any restrictions on gun ownership must be rooted in American history dating to the period when the 2nd Amendment was ratified. Attorney C.D. Michel, president of the California Rifle & Pistol Assn., said he believed the county’s gun reform package violated the 1st and 2nd amendments, and he planned to challenge it in court.
So the restrictions would be, non-militia members could be forbidden to own flintlock muskets or pistols, except for hunt muskets and slaves are forbidden to own or use any firearm.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:46 am Thank goodness LA is finally going to do something about the 50 cal massacres I keep reading about.

:roflmao: The LA County supervisors are so out of touch. Five county supervisors [commissioners in other states] or the "Five Gods" as some call them, legislate for 65% of LA County or 6.8 million residents of that county. There are 88 cities in LA County, but 65% of the county is unincorporated or under county jurisdiction. The five supervisors are all women.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angel ... %20people.

Yup sika, more BS.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

SunRiseWest wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:20 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:19 am It's ironic that one of the most liberal gun stores in the nation, owned by a Black woman, is in or near L.A County. In a desert of MAGA gunshops it's an oasis of sanity.
Would love to know where that is! (Though if it's 'near' LA Country, it's probably a ways away.)

The few shops I visited in Burbank didn't have a strong MAGA vibe. The Turner's in Covina did just a little bit, (bumper stickers in parking lot, one or two muttered comments) but I did see a queer couple getting outstanding service there, and only felt mildly weird wearing a mask.
Redstone Firearms is in Burbank. Victory & Burbank Blvd.

highdesert wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:25 am I expect the LA County Board will be talking new gun restrictions after one of the bishops of the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles was murdered on Saturday in his home in San Gabriel Valley, east of LA.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/20/us/david ... index.html
Maybe they ought to look closely at Medina(the shooter, allegedly), who he is, how he got his guns(legally?), rather that the 'tool' he used.

SunRiseWest wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:06 pm Arggh! Right down the street from the 'just okay' LGS I did use!

OTOH, Redstone's transfer fee is $25 higher and they didn't actually have what I was looking for.

Moving forward, however, for ammo or anything else, Redstone it is. (I notice that they have the Heritage Barkeep with a 2" barrel. I haven't seen any other California gun store that carries that particular model, wasn't sure it qualified for the Roster exemption.)
My son used Redstone as his FFL when I gifted him a Sig P320 that qualified for the Roster exemption.
(and, no, I'm not going to adopt you! :lol: :D )
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."