Video Shows San Antonio Cop Shooting Teen Eating A McDonald's Burger In His Car

A San Antonio police officer was fired on Wednesday after he shot a 17-year-old driver who was eating a McDonald’s sandwich in his car.

James Brennand was a probationary officer who had been with the department for just seven months. According to mySA, he initially reported that he shot at the teen’s car after it hit him. However, body camera footage of the incident didn’t back up his story.
Cantu suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the shooting, KSAT-TV reported. He was brought to a nearby hospital where he is reportedly recovering, according to KENS-TV.

The unnamed passenger was reportedly not injured.

Cantu was also charged with evading detention and assault on a police officer, mySA noted.
Full article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/san-ant ... 0e60772689

Teens make stupid mistakes, He shouldn’t have been eating a McDonald’s sandwich, he should have had a Whataburger, but the penalty is a bit harsh. Seriously all charges should be dropped and San Antonio should be ready to pay a large amount for the stupidity of the officer.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Video Shows San Antonio Cop Shooting Teen Eating A McDonald's Burger In His Car

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:14 am
A San Antonio police officer was fired on Wednesday after he shot a 17-year-old driver who was eating a McDonald’s sandwich in his car.

James Brennand was a probationary officer who had been with the department for just seven months. According to mySA, he initially reported that he shot at the teen’s car after it hit him. However, body camera footage of the incident didn’t back up his story.
Cantu suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the shooting, KSAT-TV reported. He was brought to a nearby hospital where he is reportedly recovering, according to KENS-TV.

The unnamed passenger was reportedly not injured.

Cantu was also charged with evading detention and assault on a police officer, mySA noted.
Full article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/san-ant ... 0e60772689

Teens make stupid mistakes, He shouldn’t have been eating a McDonald’s sandwich, he should have had a Whataburger, but the penalty is a bit harsh. Seriously all charges should be dropped and San Antonio should be ready to pay a large amount for the stupidity of the officer.
DA dropped charges today. Dumb fuck cop was fired. Police chief said he could not think of one thing that officer did correctly and was totally baffled by what transpired as none of his academy training was involved. I expect shot victim will be very wealthy in not to far future whether he is a scum bag or not. Watching the video was sad.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Re: Video Shows San Antonio Cop Shooting Teen Eating A McDonald's Burger In His Car

Officer James Brennand responded to a disturbance call at the McDonald’s on Oct. 2, police said. But Brennand was quickly distracted by the parked car the teen, Erik Cantu, was sitting in. He claimed that the car evaded him the day before during an attempted traffic stop. Brennand walked up to the car, opened the driver’s door and ordered Cantu to get out, body-camera video shows. Cantu was holding a burger in his hand.

The teenager put the car in reverse. Brennand backed away and then fired multiple shots into the vehicle. As Cantu put the car in drive and left the McDonald’s, Brennand fired more shots at the vehicle. Multiple bullets struck Cantu, who was found about a block away, cops said. A 17-year-old girl riding in the passenger seat was not physically harmed.

“There is nothing I can say in defense of that officer’s actions that night,” San Antonio Police Chief William McManus told WOAI-TV. “I think what happened, initially, there was some contact made, but that did not justify the shooting.” Cantu was initially charged with resisting arrest and injuring a police officer, but those charges were dropped. “The facts and evidence we have received so far led us to reject the charges against Erik Cantu for further investigation,” Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html

Wino's right, Cantu will sue SATX and get a nice financial settlement.

Daily Mail has more background.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oy-17.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

F4FEver wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:35 am But, but, but I thought law enforcement officers were highly trained, completely honest professionals? Guess not.
he initially reported that he shot at the teen’s car after it hit him. However, body camera footage of the incident didn’t back up his story.
Now, is there a way for this turd to be prevented from joining some police force just a few counties over?
Not in Texas. He wouldn't have to drive more than 30 mi. in any direction out of SATX for another police job. We are surrounded with MAGA communities.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:42 pm I expect he will be charged with a crime of some nature - and it will be well deserved. No doubt family will go after city of SATX in civil suit.
Yes, he's still being investigated by SAPD.
“Once SAPD completes its investigation into the actions of former Officer James Brennand and submits the case to our office, our Civil Rights Division will fully review the filing. As we do with all officer-involved shootings that result in death or serious injury, we will submit the case to a Grand Jury for their consideration. Until that happens, we can make no further comment on this matter.”
Powers [Cantu's lawyer] told CNN on Saturday Cantu is “literally fighting for his life every minute of the day as his body has endured a tremendous amount of trauma.”
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/09/us/san-a ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm not impressed with the Chief. He threw his guy under the bus, long before any results from anyone could have been available.

Back In My Day, (I seem to be saying that a lot) a commanding officer automatically backed up his guy until and unless it was proven that he needed to be charged. Even then, a real C.O. hung in there with his guy until the jury came back and said "guilty". When one of your people gets into trouble, a Real Leader digs in and starts calling in favors and making phone calls, doing everything he can to help his guy.

Long ago, on another continent, people tried to teach me to be a Corporal. In the classroom, the scenario they used to demonstrate this principle was the piss test, and the example has stuck with me all these years. When I was working, I actually used to look for signs of this principle, both in the leaders trying to lead me and in the leaders below me.

In the early seventies, the army instituted mandatory piss tests for all manor of illegal drugs; early in the morning your chain of command would show up with a medic and a cup, and issue you a direct order. At the academy, they told me that when a young private was confronted before dawn with his C.O., his platoon leader, his platoon sergeant and a medic, (with that cup) he could absolutely count on three things.

One, everyone standing there had already pissed in their cups, and it came back clean. They weren't asking you to do anything they hadn't done.

Two, if the test comes back dirty, your chain of command has your back. The first thing they'll do is assume there was a mistake, and the test has to be done over. Then both your commanding officer (probably a captain) and your platoon leader, (one of two flavors of lieutenant) who both have a lot more resources, training and education than you do, are going to bat for you. Lawyers will be summoned. Regulations will be read. Details will be parsed. Your lieutenant will become a stomp-down expert on the piss test. The colonel will be asking for briefings about you and your test, and exactly what they're doing to help you. He will want to know exactly what heaven and which earth they are planning to move on your behalf.

And the third thing you could count on was that after everything was said and done, if four or five tests in a row came back dirty, once all the options had been exhausted, every argument answered, the jury polled, if you were really guilty, your commanding officer would hang you personally.

Leaders do not abandon their people at the first drop of rain.

I am not impressed.

Have you ever considered that automatically backing your officer(s) is what lead to riots of anger over police brutality?

I mean, repeatedly. Many, many times.

If for one am genuinely impressed that reason won this time due to indisputable evidence. It must not have been an easy decision for Chief McManus. He may still be forced to resign over this incident.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Government agencies have policies and procedures and employees who break them are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. Brennand was a probationary employee, it doesn't take much documentation to fire a probationary employee. The SA Police Union announced that they would take no action to support Brennand because he hadn't passed probation.
SAPD's training commander Alyssa Campos said Brennand was there for an unrelated disturbance call. In the footage, Brennand approaches Cantu's car and orders him to get out before Cantu drives off. Before backup arrived, Brennand opened fire. McManus said the incident is a clear violation of their policy. "The video was horrific," McManus said. "There's no question in anybody's mind looking at the video that the shooting is not justified. And it took us a couple days to terminate Brennand, but he was gone pretty quickly."
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... a3107e3086

It looks like the Bexar County DA will be pressing charges against Brennand.

Officer has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault by a police official. Victim is on life support and according to chief, if he dies, charge will escalate. McManus nipped this SNAFU in the bud, as well he should have. There is no defense for this shooting. Idiot officer is damned lucky no one else was injured.

As for Chief McManus, he has done the correct thing here. He has been a good police chief overall and has my full support. As does our DA and County Sheriff's dept and our mayor. Nary a one is a MAGA and all appear to be lefties, but not totally sure about McManus who seems to be moderate.

Bisbee wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:31 am Have you ever considered that automatically backing your officer(s) is what lead to riots of anger over police brutality?
Oh, I think the batons, the blood and the tombstones have a lot more to do with creating that anger than what pencil-pushers say later. I concede that it's certainly possible, though, for a chief to endorse the actions of his officers in a manner that is (or becomes) extremely problematic. Timing, volume, repetition and vocabulary would all matter.
Bisbee wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:31 am If for one am genuinely impressed that reason won this time due to indisputable evidence.
I'm glad to hear that. It can be a long, dry spell between the instances where there is cause for celebration. But note that in this case, it is the process, not the chief, causing that celebration.

He could still have been part of the solution even though he doesn't know how to take care of his people, if he had just waited until the matter was properly resolved before opening his mouth.
Bisbee wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:31 amIt must not have been an easy decision for Chief McManus.
I don't think I agree with that-- I think this type of decision is an easy one for leaders with his skill level.
Bisbee wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:31 am He may still be forced to resign over this incident.
Well, he can probably get a job at Uvalde.

While I don't agree that a CO should automatically back up a subordinate when something happens, I do think that even in this case the firing was premature. By firing him before charges were even fired, the Chief basically declared the officer guilty without a trial and that's not right.

Now the evidence is pretty overwhelming against the officer, and if I were the Chief I would be secretly hoping for a conviction and jail sentence, but I think that I would have started with suspension without pay, not a firing.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

wooglin wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm Only mistake I see from the chief here is having a probationary officer out on patrol alone.

Yup, my thought exactly. He was 7 months into a 1 year probationary period and should have been monitored by a training officer. He was former army so don't know if that was a factor.

Firing an employee and bringing criminal charges are two separate things and not connected. Terminating an employee is an internal HR administrative process and with cops it can happen before or after any criminal charges are filed. Remember in 2021 the case of Ryan Remington, a Tucson cop who shot a man in a motorized wheelchair. Remington was fired within days of the shooting. He wasn't indicted until 2022 on criminal charges.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 898998001/

The former officer seen shooting an unarmed teen in a McDonald's parking in San Antonio is facing two charges of aggravated assault by a public servant, according to SAPD Chief William McManus.

The charges against James Brennand could rise if Erik Cantu, 17, doesn't survive. Cantu is on life support and in critical condition. Brennand's bond was set at $200,000. Bexar County court records show he was released from jail Wednesday morning and a hearing has been set for Nov. 23.

highdesert wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:59 am
The former officer seen shooting an unarmed teen in a McDonald's parking in San Antonio is facing two charges of aggravated assault by a public servant, according to SAPD Chief William McManus.

The charges against James Brennand could rise if Erik Cantu, 17, doesn't survive. Cantu is on life support and in critical condition. Brennand's bond was set at $200,000. Bexar County court records show he was released from jail Wednesday morning and a hearing has been set for Nov. 23.
So...where does this guy get $20,000? 10% of the Bond...FOP? Or some other scum bag organization?

F4FEver wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:39 am

So...where does this guy get $20,000? 10% of the Bond...FOP? Or some other scum bag organization?

FOP isn't defending him and they said so - Brennand was a PROBATIONARY employee and not a union member, they only support REGULAR employees (they passed probation).

F4FEver wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:39 am

Possibly a bail bondsman. If so he's now in debt
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris, a bondsman takes 10%. Period. They don't care about anything else except whether or not you show up for trial.

If your bail is 200, you have to pay the bondsman 20 before he'll even talk to you. Usually, that means you sign over a claim (however your state handles such things) to your house. No house? No bond. (One of the vast inequities of the bond system.) Yes, the bondsman will probably have a method that can accomplish that in the wee hours of the morning on the Sunday of a three day weekend. (For a small charge. Well, small relative to the bail.)

The twenty is the part he's keeping. It has nothing to do with the actual bail, it's just his fee. It doesn't post any part of the bail.

For the bondsman to actually post the bond that will cover the bail and get you out of jail, one usually has to prove to the bondsman that he will get all his money back in all cases-- that probably means signing over the rest of your house as collateral for the 200. (Assuming you have more than 220K equity in your house.) You get it back if you show up in court. (Actually, the bondsman gets the money back, and then he's supposed to release your house back to you.) But you don't get the 20 back. So you need the 10% that you ain't getting back, and then above and beyond that, you have to sign over enough stuff (real property, cars, whatever) to the bondsman that he will feel comfortable giving the court 200K on your behalf.

So generally speaking, since no surviving bondsman will risk 200K of capital unless a client puts up substantially more than that in collateral, you need to start with a net worth of about 250K (with 20K immediately liquid) to make a 200K bond for bail. This is the main inequity of the bond system. Poor folk don' make no bond. Can you walk into a bank and get a loan for $220,000? If not, there's no way you'd make a $200,000 bail with a bond.

So no, Brennand didn't get the 20 from the bondsman, that's what he had to pay the bondsman to post his bail. That's why F4FEver asked where he got the 20, (not the 200) because most folks don't keep twenty thousand in cash in their wallet in case they have to pay a bondsman.

P.S. On a completely different note, I've always wondered where a businessman would get the vast amounts of cash that would be needed to go into the bond business. If you go in with $100,000 in cash available, you can only post the first 100K that walks through the door, (and as this thread shows, that could be one case, or you might have to turn a case like Brennand away because you don't have the capital) and you're only going to make 10K, and that after some period of months until the trial(s) come(s) up, the clients show up for trial, (if they show up) and the court administration grinds slowly on to the point where it issues the check that gives you your money back. That just seems like a business that would take an enormous amount of start up cash relative to the potential income stream.

P.P.S. One of the secondary problems with the bond system is that the 10% means that it really, really sucks to be arrested if you're innocent.