Lead ammo ban reversed by new Sec. Of Interior

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

gator68
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Lead ammo ban reversed by new Sec. Of Interior

#51 Post by gator68 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:35 pm

pokute wrote:I have 800 pounds of lead in my garage. Mostly scavenged form old radiation experiments. If you want to take my lead, you better come a-gunnin', because the only way you're gonna take it is from a hot barrel or my cold, dead hands!
Ever checked that lead with a Geiger counter? I got some cheap lead (free) from an accelerator lab once. It was all hot -- used for a beam dump. There's a reason they were giving it away...
Aim past the target.

beaurrr
Carpal Tunnel

#52 Post by beaurrr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm

wanzer777 wrote:
ErikO wrote:
wanzer777 wrote:
ErikO wrote:Funny how no limitations on using lead weights for fishing were ever put into place.
When every buckshot round fired puts out 10 times more lead than one weight that you'll probably be taking home with you....
have you seen the size of the weights used near me?

Big river, visible from space...

Buckshot is an oz, more or less, of lead. These things weigh pounds.
the heck are you guys fishing for? lead weights we use rarely exceed the size of a buckshot pellet. i mean if you need weights that size, you might need to bring a shotgun with you to finish off the fish.
I don't know the big ones are for, but I have bought hundreds of one-pounders at the scrap yards.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#53 Post by AndyH » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:44 am

I realize my earlier comments might have been interpreted as harsh or somewhat radical. I don't mean to attack anyone else or their choices, it's simply a by-product of my own examination of the wider effects of my choices. I grok that my lead use is a small part of the overall lead cycle. But that also means I'm a 'shareholder' in the entire process, just as my food choices include the damage done by industrial farming. I'm still trying to figure out how to do what I wan to do (eat and shoot) while reducing the harm to others. FWIW

https://www.epa.gov/uss-lead-superfund-site
The USS Lead Superfund site is located in East Chicago, Indiana. The site includes part of the former USS Lead facility along with nearby commercial, municipal and residential areas. The primary contaminants of concern are lead and arsenic. The USS Lead site was listed on the National Priorities List of the worst contaminated sites in the country in 2009. The Superfund site is broken into two Operable Units. The first, OU1, has been divided into three zones. These zones include a public housing complex and residential properties.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
First they noticed workers spreading mulch over bare spots on the lawns. Next they were urged by health officials to have their children screened for lead. Then they started seeing signs popping up around the neighborhood, warning them not to play in the yards.

Finally, in July, they got the letter. Lead contamination was so pervasive at the West Calumet Housing Complex in East Chicago that Mayor Anthony Copeland ordered the evacuation of its more than 1,000 residents — mostly children from low-income families — so the complex could be demolished.
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/poli ... /95204754/
EAST CHICAGO — Environmental Protection Agency officials say tests have discovered elevated levels of lead in drinking water in a Northwest Indiana city where contamination already has forced some residents to move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMAZpZfRXQ
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” Heinlein
You can’t take the Razorback! She is gone and gone and gone!

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

#54 Post by TrueTexan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:15 am

What is sad is the lead issue seemed to hit the poor older neighborhoods. When it happens we can see what many of the local and state governments are doing by looking at Flint, Michigan. Do stop gap measures then ignore the problem because the people involved are poor.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#55 Post by CDFingers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:47 am

TrueTexan wrote:What is sad is the lead issue seemed to hit the poor older neighborhoods. When it happens we can see what many of the local and state governments are doing by looking at Flint, Michigan. Do stop gap measures then ignore the problem because the people involved are poor.
What matters only is the rich getting richer. If there are no longer any regs to prevent the rich from discharging lead in poor areas, that's where the lead goes. Locally, regs are either gutted or ignored by folks who make money from that very infraction.

CDFingers
ImageImage
On the day when I was born, Daddy sat down and cried.
I had the mark just as plain as day. It could not be denied.

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#56 Post by AndyH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 pm

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” Heinlein
You can’t take the Razorback! She is gone and gone and gone!

SubRosa
Chatty

#57 Post by SubRosa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 am

Spammo blammo!

SR
Another well-armed leftist. :ras:

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#58 Post by lurker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:08 am

what the heck SR? you didn't report his post?
:hmmm:

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#59 Post by K9s » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:17 am

Someone did.

And we used to use heavy lead "sinkers" as kids for river fishing. We caught a lot of carp and some catfish - back in the day.

Since this was resurrected, I have to wonder if the lead ammo ban movement will restart in the next Dem administration?
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#60 Post by YankeeTarheel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:00 am

Funny: The US Mint has issued proof sets and mint sets going back to the mid 1800s. One very rare proof set that was, I believe, part of the estate of the great violinist Jascha Heifetz, was completely struck in aluminum, including the gold pieces. I've only seen pictures of it, but the details on the proofs were outrageously good.

And, I believe it was in Tsarist Russia, that ersatz gold coins were made by filling them with platinum! These days, that's not as crazy as it sounded 25 years ago as platinum prices have collapsed while palladium, the cheapo step-sister of the precious metals has shot past both of them! Oh, I WISH I had bought Palladium when it was $100 to $150 / troy ounce!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." -- Dom Hélder Câmara

mrcee12
Verified Member
Verified Member

#61 Post by mrcee12 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am

Industry often won't change their ways until they are forced to. The oil companies fought lead free gas tooth and nail. Reagan was going to repeal regulations but the science and state showing a decrease in lead from restrictions in gas made a total ban go through. Restrictions on incandescent bulbs and fuel efficiency also spurred industry to act. If restrictions are in place we'll get cheap good lead free ammo. If not, we won't.

Wino
Loquacious

#62 Post by Wino » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:00 am

"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

SubRosa
Chatty

#63 Post by SubRosa » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:10 am

Spam

spam

spam!

Bam!

Burma spam
Another well-armed leftist. :ras:

blackcarbine
Verified Member