Ammo storage - cans/crates?

I decided to organize some loose ammo boxes of various calibers and thought I would purchase some inexpensive ammo crates or cans. I stored most of the ammo in original shipping boxes but wanted something waterproof so I can put them in the garage (it never gets very cold or hot in there). Someone here wants to use a closet for cloth items - can you imagine that?

I had no idea that ammo crates and cans have doubled or tripled in price - if I can find them - since the zombie apocalypse. I searched and searched this weekend. I finally found some yesterday and put a few in my shopping cart. By the time I checked out and entered my cc number, my cart was suddenly empty. ALL of them were out of stock.

I don't want to pay $45-75 for something that should cost $18-25. Should I wait for availability and prices to catch up with reason and logic? Any good leads on reasonably priced ammo crates or cans?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Ammo storage - cans/crates?

Maybe it's just Amazon and Georgia, but I did already search all weekend. As I mentioned, sold out or double to triple priced right now.

Lurker, oddly enought, Natchez doesn't ship to Georgia. Ticks me off because they often have good prices. Midway had good prices but over $10 each to ship $12 ammo boxes. I'll check Walmart again.

Featureless, I will check out hardware stores for small buckets. They need to be strong to hold ammo. It is surprisingly heavy.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:44 pm Maybe it's just Amazon and Georgia, but I did already search all weekend. As I mentioned, sold out or double to triple priced right now.

Lurker, oddly enought, Natchez doesn't ship to Georgia. Ticks me off because they often have good prices. Midway had good prices but over $10 each to ship $12 ammo boxes. I'll check Walmart again.

Featureless, I will check out hardware stores for small buckets. They need to be strong to hold ammo. It is surprisingly heavy.
Amazon search from about 1 minute ago. Parameters:ammo boxes. Priced from about $5.
Screenshot_2021-01-04-20-56-12_kindlephoto-533573272.png
Screenshot_2021-01-04-20-58-15.png
Actually going to a store for something like this in our current circumstance is...?
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

K9s wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:02 am Thanks, cooper! I don't care if they are rusty, but do the seals work?
I ordered several, and some are just dusty on the outside, some are a little rusty, but all the seals are good. Some dust on the inside of some, but shake it out and the insides all look new-ish. They look like they'll outlast me. :lol:

CDFingers wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:16 am I think it's neat you have enough ammo to store. My extra stuff is still on the bottom of my range bag. Upon reflection, maybe I should make a few more howitzer rounds for the .45-70.

CDFingers
obviously you need to reload. that way, stuff can accumulate. what lee loader should i get you started with :bananadance: ?
https://fsreloading.com/lee-classic-lee-loader
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I got empty ammo cans siting by my desk. The way I store ammo is with a Food Saver vacuum device. Put the sorted ammo in a food saver plastic bag then vacuum seal it . Will keep almost forever or at least till Congress gives us true liberal gun laws for the benefit of all the people.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

lurker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:42 am
CDFingers wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:16 am I think it's neat you have enough ammo to store. My extra stuff is still on the bottom of my range bag. Upon reflection, maybe I should make a few more howitzer rounds for the .45-70.

CDFingers
obviously you need to reload. that way, stuff can accumulate. what lee loader should i get you started with :bananadance: ?
https://fsreloading.com/lee-classic-lee-loader
It might be the lock-down beer consumption, but my get up and go got up and went. I'll have to rummage in the range bag. I always find something interesting there. Three days ago it was Cleo the cat. Gotta remember to zip it up when I go out to the garage.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

TrueTexan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:40 pm I got empty ammo cans siting by my desk. The way I store ammo is with a Food Saver vacuum device. Put the sorted ammo in a food saver plastic bag then vacuum seal it . Will keep almost forever or at least till Congress gives us true liberal gun laws for the benefit of all the people.
Well, I have been squirreling away boxes of ammo for a few years. It is somewhat organized (in my opinion) in shoe boxes but just enough for me to grab what I need for the range. I thought of using a Food Saver but it would be faster to pile them into ammo boxes. The vac pack would keep me from shooting it all, though.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

CDFingers wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:34 pm It might be the lock-down beer consumption, but my get up and go got up and went.
Both signs of brewing depression. Be mindful, all. The shit is heavy and the fears are real. If anybody needs help (not aimed at you, CD), don't be afraid to ask for it. Lots of caring folk here and professional help is out there, too.

In the words of Dogberry: Be vigitant.