Car center console "safe"

I've been using a real heavy-duty (but small) safe in my car to stash my CCW when I can't carry it into a prohibited place. However, in order to keep it out of sight, it is not convenient to use. I've seen center console "safes" advertised before, but has anybody ever used one? The lock looks weak, but it's likely better than a locked glove compartment.

Not the exact one I'm considering, but an example:

Re: Car center console "safe"

Hmm, maybe the picture did not adequately convey that this product is a drop in safe that goes into the armrest between the driver and passenger seats. You know the part with the armrest in most cars, and usually lifts up to reveal a storage space? These products are drop-in into that storage space, screws down for security, and have a little lock on top.

I only mentioned glove compartments as a contrast. This product has nothing to do with glove compartments.

Unless it is bolting into the chassis...the steel frame of the car...it's as effective as a locked glove box. If you find something that fits into the center console for less than $500 installed, let us know.

In the interim, something like this...

at $17.00, looped to a seat frame and placed out of sight under either driver or passenger seat is effective against the grab and run thief. The cable is particularly stout and difficult to cut with everyday wire cutters.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 pm Unless it is bolting into the chassis...the steel frame of the car...it's as effective as a locked glove box. If you find something that fits into the center console for less than $500 installed, let us know.

at $17.00, looped to a seat frame and placed out of sight under either driver or passenger seat is effective against the grab and run thief. The cable is particularly stout and difficult to cut with everyday wire cutters.
I currently am using a safe (10 gauge steel, not plastic) with a steel cable, hidden out of sight. It's been working for me for a few years, but it's not convenient based on where I have to put it in order to hide it. I'm hoping to find a new solution after dealing with it for a few years.

The drop-in products bolt to existing factory brackets, and, given the kind of lock they come with (14 gauge steel body, and a tab for a locking bar), it's likely that the bolts holding it down will out last the locking mechanism during a break-in attempt. I'm comfortable that nobody will be walking away with it, as a successful attack is more of prying up the product's door and then looting its contents.

I'm not sure where you get $500 installed, but these products usually go for $200-250 depending on the brand and the car it's going into. The one that fits my car is $210 shipped, and installation is something I can easily do in 5-10 minutes as I'm quite comfortable taking apart my car. The advantage of this product is that it's far easier to use than my current solution.

mobrainzzz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:40 pm The drop-in products bolt to existing factory brackets...
attached to...? I have existing factory brackets that are attached to little plastic
grommets attached to little plastic clips. The bolts doing the attaching will last forever...

but that wasn't the point I was making. how secure is the method/point of attachment . metal brackets that slip into cutouts, or clips using plastic isn't terribly secure. if it is bolting to the steel of the car frame, great. if not, not. thats all.

eta:
every one of those things i looked into required additional reinforcement at the center console mount to secure it to the car. otherwise the motivated thief merely needs to rip out the center console and take the safe.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 pm Unless it is bolting into the chassis...the steel frame of the car...it's as effective as a locked glove box. If you find something that fits into the center console for less than $500 installed, let us know.

This is what I use. Not perfect, but ok. I'd prefer something more stout but options are limited unless you mount something in the trunk. Then there's the issue of the gun not being concealed while transfered from waist to safe...

Nobody makes a console safe that fits an EV for some reason. ;)

I’ve thought about these. Question for y’all that have them. What do you do when you need to go to the post office? It’s my understanding that even having a gun in your car is a violation.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

That's what I use. It doesn't fit under my seat, but I throw something over the top so it's out of site. Works in CA.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 am I’ve thought about these. Question for y’all that have them. What do you do when you need to go to the post office? It’s my understanding that even having a gun in your car is a violation.
Don't park in the Post Office parking lot. A gun in your car (according to state laws) does not violate the Post Office zone provided it's not on Post Office property.

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 am I’ve thought about these. Question for y’all that have them. What do you do when you need to go to the post office? It’s my understanding that even having a gun in your car is a violation.
Street parking? Drop mail off in the mailbox drive-through and hope no one pulls you over?

I've thought about getting a lockbox, but I never go anywhere where CC is a legal option, outside of the range or store.

featureless wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 am
Don't park in the Post Office parking lot. A gun in your car (according to state laws) does not violate the Post Office zone provided it's not on Post Office property.
Street parking is rarely available near or next to a post office and on days I have walking issues it’s a red flag to any miscreant seeing and old fart with a cane parking in an adjacent street walking to the post office when handicap parking is right at the door. I know I won’t get much support on this, but this law should be changed.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:50 am
Street parking? Drop mail off in the mailbox drive-through and hope no one pulls you over?

I've thought about getting a lockbox, but I never go anywhere where CC is a legal option, outside of the range or store.
Having to break a law even when dropping off in a mailbox should be a clue this law is shit.

Isn’t the bigger issue that in some states, gun must be unloaded and must be in a trunk separated from the passenger compartment. My state allows lockbox in cases where there is no separate trunk. I’m pretty sure that because I do have a trunk, using the console safe would still violate my states laws. I have no idea what the OPs state requires but just wanted to offer this for discussion.

My last vehicle got dinged a few times in the PO lot, narrow spaces, big trucks and SUVs and too many old people and kids. I can park on the street in front of the PO, just have to watch street traffic in and out.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Northern wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:28 am Isn’t the bigger issue that in some states, gun must be unloaded and must be in a trunk separated from the passenger compartment. My state allows lockbox in cases where there is no separate trunk. I’m pretty sure that because I do have a trunk, using the console safe would still violate my states laws. I have no idea what the OPs state requires but just wanted to offer this for discussion.
Thats why you get a carry permit At least in MN.

DougB1946 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 pm
Northern wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:28 am Isn’t the bigger issue that in some states, gun must be unloaded and must be in a trunk separated from the passenger compartment. My state allows lockbox in cases where there is no separate trunk. I’m pretty sure that because I do have a trunk, using the console safe would still violate my states laws. I have no idea what the OPs state requires but just wanted to offer this for discussion.
Thats why you get a carry permit At least in MN.
My state requires no carry permits at all but still imposes certain restrictions on where guns can be. I can carry open or concealed as I please but there are still restrictions regarding guns in cars. If the car has a trunk that’s where a gun must be, regardless of my more general right to open or conceal carry. There’s an exception that a gun may be in a locked container in vehicles that do not have a trunk separated from the passenger compartment—think station wagons and hatchbacks—but I think it would still be unlawful here to carry a gun in a locked box in the passenger compartment of a vehicle that actually has a separate trunk. Again, talking about my state.

I have the GunVault NV300 in each truck. 1998 F150 cabled to driver door hinge and stored in door pocket; '87 Blazer cabled to driver seat and stored between drivers seat and center console. Not sure what type cable they use outside of SS, but I made one using SS AirCraft control 1/8" cable - takes a special shear cable cutter. Standard dikes won't cut - will put half moons in dike jaws - most thieves I know don't carry good dikes !! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.