Glasses Fogging up when Shooting with a Mask

I was eagerly looking forward to returning to our local range. It was closed for several months due to the pandemic. It recently reopened with restrictions and conditions. One of those conditions is that all shooters must wear a mask. Unfortunately, I wear glasses and fogging is a big problem with a mask.
I've always had a fogging problem while shooting. At our range, as in probably all ranges, we all must wear shooting glasses. I've been able to deal with it by careful placement of my Rx glasses and shooting glasses so as to get as much air circulation as possible. But now the mask makes it twice as problematic.
I've tried various kinds of defogging applications on my Rx glasses and shooting glasses. Nothing works as well as I want. What I need are goggles with little fans in them. Haber, and a few others, make goggles with a little fan in them. But safetyglassesusa.com, which sells them, does not recommend them for glasses wearers due to physical interference between fan unit and the wearer's glasses. There are lots of anti-fogging goggles out there, but none address fogging of one's Rx glasses.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? Have you found a solution?

Re: Glasses Fogging up when Shooting with a Mask

Years ago I was at a gun show or maybe it was an RV show and a guy was selling something that looked like a crayon for glasses to keep them from fogging. It was dark blue and I used it on my glasses and it was great. If I don't put my mask on tight around my nose I'll will get some fog, mine has a nose clip.
Last edited by highdesert on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Us motorcyclists had to contend with foggy glasses and visors for a long time. Today there are a plethora of products in the market that was pioneered as Rain X anti-fog wipes. Check it out. They may work for your glasses.

But Sig is right, you should be holding your breath before taking the shot anyway... so foggy glasses means you’re doing it wrong.
:rotfl:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm Today there are a plethora of products in the market that was pioneered as Rain X anti-fog wipes....
But Sig is right, you should be holding your breath before taking the shot anyway... so foggy glasses means you’re doing it wrong.
:rotfl:
Thanks for the suggestion. But...
  • RainX is not for use on plastics, especially coated plastics like my glasses.
  • I always hold my breath before taking the shot. But, by the time my glasses clear, I gotta take another breath, and it starts all over again.
A different forum responder recommended I temporarily pull my mask down beneath my nose. I'm going to try that first.

https://www.pyramexsafety.com/products/ ... /GB6410SDT w/RX6400 insert with my eye glass prescription

This is what I use. Have two pair of the goggles one tinted the other clear. Works fairly well, but I still get sweaty in Texas heat. However, have not used with a mask so can't vouch they will work same. The thin goggle straps work well with my electronic ear muffs.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

wings wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:40 pm I think that you're best off trying a different mask. Might I recommend the traditional plague doctor solution?
I know what that is and it is hilarious. :roflmao: I'm really tempted.
lurker wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:43 pm glasses are cooler than your breath -> condensation. i'm guessing indoor range, air conditioned?
Nope. Outdoor range. And only time I ever have a problem with fogging glasses (except when I stand too close to the oven door when I open it). Might have something to do with wearing shooting glasses over my Rx glasses.

Just set your glasses a little further out from your eyes.
ETA:
Oh, I see that @CDFingers has suggested the same. Therefore you can be assured that it comes to you from impeccable sources.

Something else. Wear a hat with a bill. Brass can be unpredictable. More than once I've seen an ejected case fall in between someone's eye and their glasses. And from one of those events I can authoritatively attest that it is very painful.

Another solution is to periodically move your glasses forward and back to move air into the interior surface. It helps things stay clear.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 am Or you can go this route.
https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men ... WTBBK14-2R
Oh thank you so much for that. If these will fit over my glasses then they will do the trick, I think. I will message the vendor and ask about that.
Yeah, they are expensive. But shooting is my passion and I will do, or spend, whatever it takes to keep shooting.
Thanks again rolandson! :yahoo:

Booliteer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:09 am
rolandson wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 am Or you can go this route.
https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men ... WTBBK14-2R
Oh thank you so much for that. If these will fit over my glasses then they will do the trick, I think. I will message the vendor and ask about that.
Yeah, they are expensive. But shooting is my passion and I will do, or spend, whatever it takes to keep shooting.
Thanks again rolandson! :yahoo:
Your welcome...
They're a common item for skiers and there are models designed to accommodate rx glasses.

The company is called Smith. They've something called Chromapop, apparently something special. I think they also make goggles for military use...though I'm pretty sure REI won't be of much use for those.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Elmo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:25 am These are good suggestions. I will try some of them.

I have a problem with this in action shooting (USPSA etc.), where holding one's breath is not an option.
I have shot a couple of USPSA matches while masked, and what's worked for me was getting a mask that fits my face more closely. I'm still looking for a mask that let's me breathe a bit better.