Pig-stickers from dead guys.

DSC01900.JPG
DSC01899.JPG
DSC01895.JPG
Two of my fav fixed-blades.

First from a great Yuma, AZ (my hometown) knifemaker Don Weiler. A one-off for me, with a damascus blade made of a chunk of winch cable from a 5-ton military tactical truck. The handle is native AZ Ironwood.

The second is a baby from Dan Dennehy of Colorado. It came to me as a gift from a friend of 52 years. It is the perfect polite pocket companion.

Keep 'em sharp & shiny! (even if my pix don't show it)

SR :beer2:
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Re: Pig-stickers from dead guys.

I'm very late to the party. Here's my Grail knife, a Gerber Mark II with the gray cats tongue handle and canted, wasp-waisted blade:
Mark II Overall showing logo.JPG
It came to me with a serial-number-appropriate sheath and sharpening steel. The serial number suggests the blade should not be canted, but it clearly is and was clearly manufactured that way.
Mark II Sheath and Steel.JPG
It resides in a locked glass-top case.
Mark II Set.JPG
It qualifies for this thread because I bought it from an estate sale.

featureless wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:15 pm That's an amazing Mark II.
It's almost literally one-in-a-million. I still cannot believe my luck in finding it.

I've had similar luck over the decades. In WWII, Colonial bid on producing Mark I knives for the US Navy. In support of said bid, Colonial made about a dozen prototypes. They had clear handles so the unique handle-blade attachment method could be clearly seen. They were awarded a contract, and the handles on their production knives were black.

Over the intervening decades the clear handles gradually became an opaque tannish color. Remember I said that only about a dozen were made? I somehow wound up with three of them:
Colonial Mark I Prototypes 1.JPG

Got this John Nelson Cooper at an auction earlier this year. I emailed Clif Linderman, who took over the company after JNC retired, to ask about the brass inlay. He replied back that the inlay was something that Cooper was experimenting with to put initials in, but dropped it due to the time and difficulty it took to do. I haven't messed with cleaning up the handle yet, but am very happy that I found this.
"we are taught to fly in the air like birds, and to swim in the water like the fishes; but how to live on the earth we don’t know.” unknown member of the Russian proletariat
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_1715.jpeg
IMG_8219.JPG

damnitman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:10 am That is some really nice stuff.

I collect some fixed blades from WWII. For hard work, it is hard to beat a Cattaraugus 225Q, or it's Case brother the 337-6Q, the things are nearly indestructible. I also collect pocket knives that no one else wants; Imperials and Colonials.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Once the heat dies back and I can spend more than an hour in my shop a day I am going to get back to 'making shivs' from the dead files I have squirreled away. Old files are a good source for decent steel.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:51 am Once the heat dies back and I can spend more than an hour in my shop a day I am going to get back to 'making shivs' from the dead files I have squirreled away. Old files are a good source for decent steel.
I have several Anza knives but fortunately I think all the folk involved are still quite alive.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:06 am
ErikO wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:51 am Once the heat dies back and I can spend more than an hour in my shop a day I am going to get back to 'making shivs' from the dead files I have squirreled away. Old files are a good source for decent steel.
I have several Anza knives but fortunately I think all the folk involved are still quite alive.

:thumbup:
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.