IWB Holster recommendations

Hi all! Happy New Year. So I'm looking for any recommendations for an IWB holster for 4/4:30 position. When I purchased my first pistol I was lucky to find a holster that I like right away. I bought it from Alien Gear. I first purchased the cloak tuck 3.0 and of course 6 months later they came out with the 4.0 which I loved. However, I purchased my current firearm (SW MP 2 9C) and they haven't made one for that model yet. They came out with a 3.5 holster which was an upgrade from the 3, but doesn't have all the features of the 4. I've been looking around the interwebs at various companies but thought I'd ask here if anyone can recommend a particular brand. Thanks in advance.

Re: IWB Holster recommendations

I carry at 4:00, IWB, but not a M&P. I carry a Beretta 92, some with a rail, some not. The rail drastically reduced the number of holsters available. For years I used a Crossbreed Super Tuck, then I had two occasions when my pistol jacked itself out of the holster, causing me to go with thumb-break retention. I really like one Bianchi IWB leather holster for non-railed B92, and have a similar custom holster for the railed B92 from Ted Blocker.

You also might want to look at pancake holsters, which hide almost as well as IWB.

NuJudge wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am I carry at 4:00, IWB, but not a M&P. I carry a Beretta 92, some with a rail, some not. The rail drastically reduced the number of holsters available. For years I used a Crossbreed Super Tuck, then I had two occasions when my pistol jacked itself out of the holster, causing me to go with thumb-break retention. I really like one Bianchi IWB leather holster for non-railed B92, and have a similar custom holster for the railed B92 from Ted Blocker.

You also might want to look at pancake holsters, which hide almost as well as IWB.
I second this advice. If you are wearing something that covers the IWB carried pistol, I found over time that a decent (and inexpensive) pancake holster can be just as (or more) versatile, comfortable, and concealing unless the firearm is really small. For example, I wouldn't be able to sit or bend down with a Beretta 92/96 or SIG P226 IWB. A PT-111, P224, P290, or M&P Shield are fine for IWB but work just fine OWB with an untucked shirt or jacket. Try different options. Your body shape and size will make all the difference for you as it does for the rest of us.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

TriggerPuller wrote:When I was carrying a S&W M&P at 4/4:30, I used a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I loathed the logo, but the holster was the best IWB I've ever used.

But if I'd known about the Vedder ComfortTuck Combat Cut before buying the Crossbreed, I would have used it instead (because I really dislike the Crossbreed logo that much).
I had a Vedder for appendix carry but it dig into my groin as did other kydex types, I’ll look into their other options, thank ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NuJudge wrote:I carry at 4:00, IWB, but not a M&P. I carry a Beretta 92, some with a rail, some not. The rail drastically reduced the number of holsters available. For years I used a Crossbreed Super Tuck, then I had two occasions when my pistol jacked itself out of the holster, causing me to go with thumb-break retention. I really like one Bianchi IWB leather holster for non-railed B92, and have a similar custom holster for the railed B92 from Ted Blocker.

I’ll look into both of those, thank you

K9s wrote:
NuJudge wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am I carry at 4:00, IWB, but not a M&P. I carry a Beretta 92, some with a rail, some not. The rail drastically reduced the number of holsters available. For years I used a Crossbreed Super Tuck, then I had two occasions when my pistol jacked itself out of the holster, causing me to go with thumb-break retention. I really like one Bianchi IWB leather holster for non-railed B92, and have a similar custom holster for the railed B92 from Ted Blocker.

I second this advice. If you are wearing something that covers the IWB carried pistol, I found over time that a decent (and inexpensive) pancake holster can be just as (or more) versatile, comfortable, and concealing unless the firearm is really small. For example, I wouldn't be able to sit or bend down with a Beretta 92/96 or SIG P226 IWB. A PT-111, P224, P290, or M&P Shield are fine for IWB but work just fine OWB with an untucked shirt or jacket. Try different options. Your body shape and size will make all the difference for you as it does for the rest of us.
I never tuck in my shirt so the pancake might work, I never considered it. I’ll look at some shops to try on in person, thanks for the idea.

TriggerPuller wrote:When I was carrying a S&W M&P at 4/4:30, I used a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I loathed the logo, but the holster was the best IWB I've ever used.

But if I'd known about the Vedder ComfortTuck Combat Cut before buying the Crossbreed, I would have used it instead (because I really dislike the Crossbreed logo that much).
Sadly they don’t have the comfort tuck available for my gun...I see they’ve made their light tuck (kydex) more adjustable...I don’t think the one I had was that way. Like I said the light tuck I had dug into my groin...

I have Crossbreed type hybrid holsters. They are very comfortable, but somewhat cumbersome to put on and take off for an impatient person like me, especially if I have to use a bathroom stall in a public restroom. So I’m leaning away from those and trying other smaller print holsters with single hooks or snap loops.

I’m not familiar with S&W MP handguns, so I’m not sure if Clinger Holsters offers a holster for yours, but I got one for my S&W 3913 and really like it as long as it has the Clinger cushion attached to it. Here’s the one I got:

https://clingerholsters.com/product/gear-holster/

The cushion makes all the difference. Without it, the holster is just like any other IWB kydex holster that digs into your skin. But the Clinger cushion softens it up considerably. I can wear it at the 4:30 position comfortably even while sitting down.

I was skeptical at first and thought adding the cushion might also add to the thickness of the IWB holster as a whole. In that regard, it does, but only by about 1/4”. To me, that’s negligible and well worth the difference in comfort.

Not only that, the same cushion can be used with other holsters simply by buying more hook-and-loop dots applied using 3M tape. The con with that, though, is the susceptibility of the adhesive to summertime heat if I leave it inside a car. It gets pretty hot here in Texas. So I’ll have to make sure I don’t do that. The cushion is also machine washable.

The cushion comes in 3 different sizes. I Intend to buy a bigger cushion to use on a bigger holster for a fullsize 1911.

I recently got it. So I don’t know how durable the cushion is. I guess time will tell.

As for the Clinger kydex holster itself, it’s a decent holster. No better or worse than some other kydex holsters I’ve tried. Mine can be used at two different angles - straight up and dow and canted. It comes with additional hardware and has good retention. The retention can also be adjusted. Wait time was superfast. I got it within about a week after ordering, which is superfast compared to most other holsters I’ve ordered. Main reason I got it, though, is because there aren’t that many holster options for 3913s.

equin wrote:I have Crossbreed type hybrid holsters. They are very comfortable, but somewhat cumbersome to put on and take off for an impatient person like me, especially if I have to use a bathroom stall in a public restroom. So I’m leaning away from those and trying other smaller print holsters with single hooks or snap loops.

I’m not familiar with S&W MP handguns, so I’m not sure if Clinger Holsters offers a holster for yours, but I got one for my S&W 3913 and really like it as long as it has the Clinger cushion attached to it. Here’s the one I got:

https://clingerholsters.com/product/gear-holster/

The cushion makes all the difference. Without it, the holster is just like any other IWB kydex holster that digs into your skin. But the Clinger cushion softens it up considerably. I can wear it at the 4:30 position comfortably even while sitting down.

I was skeptical at first and thought adding the cushion might also add to the thickness of the IWB holster as a whole. In that regard, it does, but only by about 1/4”. To me, that’s negligible and well worth the difference in comfort.

Not only that, the same cushion can be used with other holsters simply by buying more hook-and-loop dots applied using 3M tape. The con with that, though, is the susceptibility of the adhesive to summertime heat if I leave it inside a car. It gets pretty hot here in Texas. So I’ll have to make sure I don’t do that. The cushion is also machine washable.

The cushion comes in 3 different sizes. I Intend to buy a bigger cushion to use on a bigger holster for a fullsize 1911.

I recently got it. So I don’t know how durable the cushion is. I guess time will tell.

As for the Clinger kydex holster itself, it’s a decent holster. No better or worse than some other kydex holsters I’ve tried. Mine can be used at two different angles - straight up and dow and canted. It comes with additional hardware and has good retention. The retention can also be adjusted. Wait time was superfast. I got it within about a week after ordering, which is superfast compared to most other holsters I’ve ordered. Main reason I got it, though, is because there aren’t that many holster options for 3913s.
I do have a clinger but it looks like they’ve made some improvements since I bought mine about 1-2 years ago...might give them another try! Thank you

danhue wrote:I have a concealmentexpress IWB Kydex holster for my P938. I wear it at 4:30 and I sometimes forget I have it to the point I get startled and have to check. It's easy clip on and off the belt too. I have also tried appendix carry, but honestly, don't have the mental fortitude for it.
Gonna check them out. I’ve tried appendix carry with several different holster & so far it’s not for me. I went back to my alien gear hybrid and carry at 4:30. Unfortunately they don’t make their latest model for my gun yet, but the one I have is super comfortable. Thanks for the recommendation

IWB I typically wear the JM Custom Kydex IWB light bearing (since I can't find many holsters that support an APL on a Government 1911). Recommend an undershirt if you decide to go this route. It's not the most comfortable holster in the world.

Lightless IWB 1911, I have a Supertuck from Crossbreed. Since the muzzle pokes through the kydex, I've worn many a hole in my pants. I don't wear this at all anymore because of that but I will say this, they are COMFY. This might not be an issue with a smaller firearm.

If I need to go smaller due to less cover, I also have a BlackArch Holster Dual Clip IWB Protos-M that my Springfield EMP fits in. This is nice for warmer days since the backing material is breathable.

Even smaller? Walther PPK/S in a BlackArch ACE-1. Similar to the Supertuck but with full muzzle coverage.

Just want to post an update. I still use the Clinger holster for my S&W 3913, especially when wearing thicker belts. But I recently got a TTGunleather IWB holster for a fullsize 1911 and love it. It comes with pull-the-dot snap loops, which I’m not a big fan of, but it’s very comfortable and extremely well made. While I got it for a 1.75” wide belt, it’s still difficult to thread through a thick 1.5” wide belt. So its use is limited to thinner gun belts, but I find that to be true of most pull-the-dot belt loops, such as the Milt Sparks SS2. Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there as another option.

TriggerPuller wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm When I was carrying a S&W M&P at 4/4:30, I used a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I loathed the logo, but the holster was the best IWB I've ever used.

I have my own reasons for disliking the Crossbreed logo. I also find the logos for Ulticlip heinous.