product reviews for polytech m14s bits: Sarco and KBI

received my two packages today, early, both full of m14 goodies, one from KB International, the other from Sarco. i split the order because no-one has all of the things i wanted, or different vendors have signficantly different prices. KBI fulfilled the smaller order the 1st day, and shipped that afternoon. Sarco took a week to get the order together, which is why they both arrived today, even though i ordered a week apart. if you're not in a hurry, want something obscure at (usually) the lowest price, go sarco. if you want fair prices, good but limited selection and speedy processing, KBI

ok, so i ordered a GI cleaning kit, buttplate screw, scope mount, rifle manual and sling from Sarco.
the sling is cotton webbing with steel hardware, painted flat black, except for the shiny brass tab at the end. new but there's a little rust where the paint has flaked. doesn't say where it's from, but i'm guessing china. appears serviceable, fit and finish mediocre. if i had to do it again i'd pay a little more for better quality.
LUGO1579.JPG
the buttplate screw, well what's there to say, it's a screw, looks like it will be fine. finish is good. actually there's a problem, but i should have known. if i replace something threaded, i'll probably have to replace what it threads to. inch not = metric. add to list: rear sling swivel.
LUGO1578.JPG
the manual, by ian skennerton, is good as expected. general info on rifle parts, field stripping, maintenance, cleaning, lube points,features, brief history including mention of US and chinese semiauto clones.
LUGO1575.JPG
Last edited by lurker on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: product reviews for polytech m14s bits: Sarco and KBI

the cleaning kit might well be GI, but likely not USGI. came in a little pouch with some obscure printed numbers, again likely asian. multitool /cleaning rod handle, 4-piece cleaning rod and new bore brush. chamber brush, no grease or oil or bottles thereof. fortunately, being a packrat, i already have an m14 oiler bottle.
LUGO1573.JPG
the scope mount by aimsports, of china, naturally. aluminum, with steel attaching hardware. i believe this is what they call a two-point mount, attaches with the mounting screw to the side of the receiver and also the clip guide, which must be removed. the alignment slots look iffy to me. i don't know that i'll ever actually mount this thing, so not sure. cheap, and apparently for good reason.
overall sarco experience? meh. not bad.
LUGO1576.JPG
KBI stuff next post, later.

next, KBI
laser boresighter in .308, also fits .243, 7mm08. by aimsports made in china. wont know much about it until i go to the range. i puzzled over boresighters, there are (at least) 3 kinds: a generic version with adapters to fit many calibers, the cartridge-specific ones and the old-tech mirror which allows you to actually look down the bore. this one's cartridge specific. batteries included, limited lifetime warranty.

flash hider castellated nut pliers, for removing the flash hider (which is integral with the front sight) if it's not pinned or welded. not especially high quality but it looks like it will get the job done. steel, black finish.
LUGO1581.JPG

There are some other things you'll want...

After several hundred rounds, carbon will build up in your gas cylinder piston and plug. There is a hand-drill cleaning kit made for US parts, but I am told the Chinese parts have slightly different ID dimensions. You will eventually see a difference on paper.
https://m14forum.com/m14/77584-drill-bi ... aning.html

Get a gas cylinder wrench and a muzzle guide also:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQ ... r%20wrench
https://deweyrods.com/product/m-14m1a-muzzle-guide/

good a place for this as anywhere else.
i bought 4 thermold 20-rd magazines for my chinese polytech m14s. it came with a 5-rd and a checkmate 20, which latter is what passes for usgi. having had good results with thermolds (and orelites) for the ar15, and being only $12 apiece, i figured "let's try them out".
the thermolds are lighter and less noisy than the checkmate, but also a tiny bit thicker, and the edges on the latching lug are a tiny bit rounder, so they don't pop in and out of the magwell as easily, and latching them in is less positive. they load and feed just fine, appear every bit as reliable as steel. for the range they are good, but because of the thickness and latching issue, i wouldn't recommend them for use in a stressful situation, if you know what i mean. thermold on left, checkmate on right.
LUGO1577.JPG