Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - Worth It?

Been pining over getting a pair and the coalesence of money and opportunity have arrived. Are they worth the money? Please know I wear boots about 80% of the time and wear most brands out inside of a year.

Also willing to break them in and do the assorted maintenance. See also, I'm the type that cleans my gear after an event whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by atxgunguy on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Re: Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - Worth It?

I have a friend that has worn them for years on his ranch. They're not cheap but do seem to last. Looking at the pair in the picture, it looks like they could be resoled by a shoe repair shop when the soles or heels wear out.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

eelj wrote:I looked them up, had to really search to find a review that wasn't about a fashion statement. They look like a very good boot and if taken care of properly should last through many resoles.

My self I prefer hand fitted boots and 4 years ago I treated my self to a pair of Russell boots. I will be cremated with them on.
Hand fitted is probably in my near future, but I'm not quite there.

I've worn Redwings for years. My preference is the wedge heel Style 866. Very comfortable and durable, made in USA. My RW store brought in two pair for me to try 10D & 10E - Made me a deal and I took both pair. My first pair I bought in 1985. Then they quit making them for awhile - during that time I tried other brands - all less expensive along with less comfortable and durable. Years ago visited their factory in Redwing, MN. Most comfortable boots ever owned.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-sh ... boot-brown

They do make a Redwing Chinese version that at the time was cheaper/less expensive by about $100. May not be cheaper now thanks to dumbass.

As an adder: all have been treated using SnoSeal, which I've used since the 60's on all leather boots/shoes, knife sheathes, belts and holsters.

Adder adder: You can't go wrong with RedWing regardless of style - IMHO.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Some things to consider: When you buy boots from Redwing, they'll oil them and give you free laces once a year for the life of the boot. They will also resole for a decent price, depending on the soling method originally used (some waterproof boots can't be resoled.) They have a great warranty as well.

Boot enthusiasts seem to feel like the Made in USA Redwings are a lot better than their Made in China counterparts, so you may want to look into where these are made. I have a pair of Chinese Redwings that are damn good boots. Some of the finishing touches are a little off, stuff like crooked seams, a little bit of asymmetry where there should be a mirror image, that kind of thing. I have another pair, not sure where they were made, that I wore every day for over a year walking on hot asphalt, steel plates, and aluminum punched with holes to provide traction. Those soles are still in good shape and the uppers are no worse for wear. I have no everyday use for either pair of boots at this point in my life, but I'm not throwing out either, because I know they'll be good to go if I ever need them again.

I am smarter than two of the last three Presidents, and I approve Red Wing Boots.

Redwing are probably the top of the off-the-shelf boot market. Eelj likes Russel, I like Wesco, but top end boots are cheaper in the long run if you can come up with the cash. I’m wearing the pair of Wescos I’ve worn better than 50% of the days since I got them as a treat for myself when I got a raise in 2008. Only had them soled once in all that time, and a couple sets of heels.

Marlene wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm Redwing are probably the top of the off-the-shelf boot market. Eelj likes Russel, I like Wesco, but top end boots are cheaper in the long run if you can come up with the cash. I’m wearing the pair of Wescos I’ve worn better than 50% of the days since I got them as a treat for myself when I got a raise in 2008. Only had them soled once in all that time, and a couple sets of heels.
Those Wesco Jobmasters...oh my. :happy:

There are two full service Red Wing stores near me, methinks this quarter’s bonus is getting sunk into a pair. Still wanting the Iron Rangers but the Blacksmiths are quite niiice too. :think: