Re: helmets: current state of the art, and how we got here.

That was a fun read, but it made me feel old. Those steel pots were heavy!

The newest fighters have one weak link. The pilots cannot handle the G forces that the materials can withstand. I do wonder how long before most soldiers, sailors, and pilots are working desk jobs. Future wars will become more politically acceptable with fewer American casualties.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:39 pm That was a fun read, but it made me feel old. Those steel pots were heavy!

The newest fighters have one weak link. The pilots cannot handle the G forces that the materials can withstand. I do wonder how long before most soldiers, sailors, and pilots are working desk jobs. Future wars will become more politically acceptable with fewer American casualties.
Not just the newest fighters, the F16 has that issue when t was first built. The computer programming the flight controls was reprogramed to dampen the high speed maneuvers.

It won’t be long before AI is running or wars using robots and unmanned drones. No human involved except to say go get ‘em.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:39 pm That was a fun read, but it made me feel old. Those steel pots were heavy!

Not just the newest fighters, the F16 has that issue when t was first built. The computer programming the flight controls was reprogramed to dampen the high speed maneuvers.

It won’t be long before AI is running or wars using robots and unmanned drones. No human involved except to say go get ‘em.
Ummmm.... Fighting, not running it. Someone has to keep the AI force from invading an ally. For now, I suppose.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

lurker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:53 am
highdesert wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:45 am Glad the technology has advanced but same problem as motorcycle helmets, no protection for the neck and spinal cord.
not sure there's a way to do that without sacrificing mobility.
I agree that's the challenge, next generation of Kevlar?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:55 am
JColville wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:39 am The "Fritz" was still a few years on the horizon when I left the service. The steel pot was heavy, yes, but it had multiple uses; You can't boil water in Kevlar to heat your C rats.
next you're going to say that head-butting is more effective while wearing a pickelhaube ;)
No. I'll leave that for the 15th century Turkish helmets; you know, the kind with the 2 foot spike they use for ramming their enemies in the stomach and killing them stone dead.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

this was my grandfather's helmet in ww1. it's rough, my brother kept it in the garage for 30 years. i think he viewed it as scrap metal. the liner is gone, the paint is spotty, and the rim is coming apart, but it's family, so...
LUGO1446.JPG
that's his chair in the pic too, and i have a couple of documents. he was in the signal corps and learned to fly biplanes "over there". he told a story (don't know how true) about capturing german spies, they were on a hill behind and overlooking the lines, signalling to the far side by flashing truck headlights. sure do wish i'd listened to more of his tales.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

K9s wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:48 pm Cool item. Good to know you kept it.
i have another in much better shape, but don't know who wore it. and a ww2 vintage M1 steel pot with provenance, man who wore it (Hudson Gill was in the 12th armored div, (hellcats)) helped liberate a concentration camp in germany. one day i suppose all of this will end up in an estate sale, but for now, it's safe.

i'm having a hard time understanding why we have fascists right here in the US of A. didn't we put that down once before?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:55 pm
K9s wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:48 pm Cool item. Good to know you kept it.
i have another in much better shape, but don't know who wore it. and a ww2 vintage M1 steel pot with provenance, man who wore it (Hudson Gill was in the 12th armored div, (hellcats)) helped liberate a concentration camp in germany. one day i suppose all of this will end up in an estate sale, but for now, it's safe.

i'm having a hard time understanding why we have fascists right here in the US of A. didn't we put that down once before?
I guess it depends on your point of view. They have always been here, but they weren't a threat to everyone. Luckily, not all white people are behind them in 2019.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt