Re: Anyone still use shoulder holsters?

i have 3 shoulder holsters i never wear, since i never carry. all for my 1911. the latest is a repro prewar in natural leather. there's an uncle mikes too, and another i don't recall.
i looked at our "Unusually Talented Spammer"s link and while it reads like an advertisement, i think there's some good info there about how to choose a holster.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm i have 3 shoulder holsters i never wear, since i never carry. all for my 1911. the latest is a repro prewar in natural leather. there's an uncle mikes too, and another i don't recall.
i looked at our "Unusually Talented Spammer"s link and while it reads like an advertisement, i think there's some good info there about how to choose a holster.
Totally leaves out so many great shoulder holster makers.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Reviving this thread. Now that we have a little puppy at home, I find myself outside a lot more with taking her for a walks and what not. I did no favors by having a big ol' yard sign with my support for Joe/Kamala in a very red part of the state. So prefer to leave the house armed.

Given the cold weather here in MN - I have multiple layers on and - it seems like a shoulder holster might be a good option for my Taurus 85 or S&W 642. Ease of draw is a factor. Are they practical? How about horizontal vs vertical draw?

I prefer shoulder holsters and both horizontal and vertical depending on the size and barrel length. With the Centennials you want to check retention carefully and find one that retains adequately since many that rely on a hammer strap won't work.

Shoulder holster also are the best when sitting or wearing seat belts.

My Bianchi #215 horizontal with my Charter Arms undercover hammerless. Also works kinda with my Centennials but not as secure.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

When I started carrying, I started with a Jackass. Then I found out that my range (I only belonged to one at that time) didn't allow drawing from a shoulder holster, and training matters. So I asked my range why they didn't allow it, and the answers convinced me that IWB is considerably safer, particularly during a fight. So I started a hunt for a decent IWB holster, and ended up with Milt Sparks, which is where I've been for twenty years or more. (I can't in good conscience recommend them, they have some weird attitudes on their website, but they prove that a good holster makes carrying much, much easier.)

lurker wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm i have 3 shoulder holsters i never wear, since i never carry. all for my 1911. the latest is a repro prewar in natural leather. there's an uncle mikes too, and another i don't recall.
I have a couple of leather repro shoulder holsters, too. They are great for the low price. I used to wear them very often along with ankle holsters. That same 1911 repro holster can hold a Taurus 92 or 100 or Beretta 92 or 96 very well, too. I haven't worn them in a couple of years, though. I tend to wear OWB now.

I go through phases, so I will probably switch back to shoulder holsters at some point. My job is different now, so OWB makes more sense.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:39 pm I never liked the nylon holsters. They always ended up replaced by something else. I hope it works out for you, though.
Almost the same. While not a big fan, I find them usable - as most guns in those holsters usually sit in the safe. I am OK with this cheapie holster, as I probably won't use it much here outside of winter, and even then probably only be used moderately.

JaxTeller wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:36 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:39 pm I never liked the nylon holsters. They always ended up replaced by something else. I hope it works out for you, though.
Almost the same. While not a big fan, I find them usable - as most guns in those holsters usually sit in the safe. I am OK with this cheapie holster, as I probably won't use it much here outside of winter, and even then probably only be used moderately.
Makes sense. Hope it works out!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Personally, I dislike them and find them inferior or impractical for almost any application, whether in town or afield. I have bought a couple, and made one to fit. Every couple of years or so, I revisit them & remember why I'm not a fan.

I just made a couple "tanker style holster" which in my view; is a tiny bit better, at least for carry with a backpack. Still god awful slow and unnatural to deploy the pistol from - nevermind muzzle flagging anything for about 90 degrees.

I find it more satisfactory to load up my belt with 1 or 2 pistols & wear belt suspenders for anything heavy.

INVICTVS138, I know uber/taxi drivers who would disagree with your opinion. They are not inferior or impractical for almost any application for everyone. If they don't work for you, that's cool. And muzzle flagging is only a problem with your technique, not the concept.

What are these tanker style holsters? M7 style? Pics?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I use a leather Alien Gear one for my SR9c when I need to dress up or wearing a jacket and slacks. Very comfortable.
For my Ruger Blackhawk .357 I have an old one like Dirty Harry used for his cannon. Fergot who made it. Also love my cowboy rig.
I don't like IWB and getting pinched. I'd rather carry outside on a belt.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

K9s wrote:INVICTVS138, I know uber/taxi drivers who would disagree with your opinion. They are not inferior or impractical for almost any application for everyone. If they don't work for you, that's cool. And muzzle flagging is only a problem with your technique, not the concept.

What are these tanker style holsters? M7 style? Pics?
That’s why I said, “personally.” They don’t work for me. Ive been trained and training others on the strong side draw for nearly 20years. I’m not messing with muscle memory.

When I shot USPSA, my local club disallowed them as they were considered dangerous to the user and timer.

If I was a professional driver, I might feel differently.

YMMV.

As for Tanker holsters here is the last one I made:
I have since added a retention strap, which makes it even slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm Personally, I dislike them and find them inferior or impractical for almost any application, whether in town or afield. I have bought a couple, and made one to fit. Every couple of years or so, I revisit them & remember why I'm not a fan.

I just made a couple "tanker style holster" which in my view; is a tiny bit better, at least for carry with a backpack. Still god awful slow and unnatural to deploy the pistol from - nevermind muzzle flagging anything for about 90 degrees.

I find it more satisfactory to load up my belt with 1 or 2 pistols & wear belt suspenders for anything heavy.
That about sums it up. Its an acceptable way to carry a huge, heavy handgun under some conditions. But for anything actually practical, it's generally last on my list...a good ways behind an ankle holster.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:45 pm
INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm Personally, I dislike them and find them inferior or impractical for almost any application, whether in town or afield. I have bought a couple, and made one to fit. Every couple of years or so, I revisit them & remember why I'm not a fan.

That about sums it up. Its an acceptable way to carry a huge, heavy handgun under some conditions. But for anything actually practical, it's generally last on my list...a good ways behind an ankle holster.
Ankle holsters take an extraordinarily amount of time to draw. Exceedingly worse than any cross draw holster. As a back up I guess. I can't imagine running with two guns and one on my ankle.

Hold on a second while I bend over and tie my shoe an pull my gun out. Just saying.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”