Which Scope is Better

As far as optics go. A Nikon 3-9x 40 Prostaff Rimfire or an older but excellent condition 4-12x 40 Bushnell? Its for my 10/22 rebuild project. The Prostaff is on the new stainless and can't decide if I should switch them out. I want the better one to stay on the new stainless which will NOT be camo'd like the rebuild will.
Maybe I won't even camo either scope. Seems like a PITA..
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re: Which Scope is Better

What range are you going to use them for?
Not having a parallax adjustment impacts accuracy.

Put both scopes side by side and pick a target at the distance you expect to use it.
Then move your eye behind each scope without touching the scope and see how much the reticle moves around on the target.

The least movement will be the more accurate scope. You can also compare images while at it.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

Oldschool wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pm What range are you going to use them for?
Not having a parallax adjustment impacts accuracy.

Put both scopes side by side and pick a target at the distance you expect to use it.
Then move your eye behind each scope without touching the scope and see how much the reticle moves around on the target.

The least movement will be the more accurate scope. You can also compare images while at it.
Oh, up to 100yds. I'm not going to be doing any contests. Well unless I start buying new barrels and triggers. You know how that goes.
I've heard of the parallax before, just never shot far enough to matter I guess.

Thanks, I will try them both out and see what gives.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Parallax is basically the reticle and the target are on two different focal planes. You can focus them to be the same, when the same you can move your head around and reticle doesn't move on target. Parallax adjustment scopes lets you adjust for different ranges.
Scopes that do not offer the adjustment are only perfect at one range. A rimfire scope may be short, like 50yds while a scope intended for a centerfire rifle may be 200yds.

Parallax only matters if you do not get your eye centered behind the scope. Most people do not and are not constantly in the same spot either so understand parallax is one reason point of impact can drift, especially with different shooting positions.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

I watched some videos on it. Who knew? Never experienced the problem myself. Well at least I didn't know I did. And the eyes are not that great for long range target shooting.
I rarely take really long shots especially at food. I don't like the idea of a wounded suffering animal running around. They should drop like a rock