Spotting Scope Recommendations

I’m looking to get out to the dez to do some shooting soon. I don’t think I can wait for fall and cooler weather. Because of social distancing, I may go out alone.

I’d like to sight in a few new (or new optic) rifles at 100-200 yards. I don’t want to walk back and forth with my stuff sitting out.

Any recommendations for a value-priced spotting scope that will let me see impacts at that range? I’m not dropping four figures on this but I also recognize that a $49 special from Big 5 may not be adequate.

Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations

I bought a cheap Herter's 20-60x60 spotting scope at Cabellas. So I take it to a local outdoor range. Did some pistol practice. The scope worked great. At 100 yards the holes in the target could be seen, but no very sharp. Past 100 yards this scope is useless.

So my question is: How to I determine the distance that a spotting scope can truly spot a 22 cal hole in a paper target???
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations

Let your wallet be your guide. I shoot Service Rifle, and I am looking for .223 caliber holes, usually at 200/300/600 yards, and a really good quality 27X Kowa can sometimes see the holes at 200, but practically never at 300 yards.

Before I switched to the "Mousegun" about 2000, I shot .30 caliber, and I mostly used a 20X Bushnell scope. I had no problem seeing holes at 200 and usually could see them at 300, but not in the black.

There are other things that will influence how well you can see: mirage and quality of glass. I have as a backup, a cheap 20-60 power variable. It is noticeably darker than the Kowa, and I best see holes at about 30X.