Seeking peep sight replacement advice

My new first-ever AR, a S&W Sport II, came with 'peep' sights, I think MBUS Magpul.
They are uncomfortable to use and I wonder if I should/could change to 'open' sights, or if I'm not using them properly.
It's hard to scrunch up to get the forward 'trident' sight visible and lined up in the rear peep sight. It's as if the trident is too big, or the peephole is too small. Or maybe the distance between them is incorrect.
Being near-sighted doesn't help (also flatter earmuffs might give a better cheek weld).
Would it be a big deal to switch to open sights? I'm not experienced in modifying guns but I can learn.
Any and all thoughts welcome.

Re: Seeking peep sight replacement advice

I like the Magpul sights. They are OK, but not awesome.

When AR prices dropped through the floor, I bought a couple of different uppers. One was a lowish priced middy with a nitrided barrel. I wanted to try some inexpensive fixed peep sights and found some cheap ones on Amazon. They work just fine. It seems that some reviewers got poor quality ones, but I didn't. For the price, I am OK with them. I think they are UTG or something cheap.

I hope someone else comes along with inexpensive open sight suggestions. That would be nice to have. Everything I have seen is peep.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt