What makes a good red dot for a handgun?

So I've recently experimented with using my cheapo red dot sight on my Mark IV, and I like it, but this sight is really a bit big it seems to me and it's really supposed to be for my camera for astrophotography anyway, so now I'm considering getting a better red dot for my gun, but I have no idea what makes for a good red dot.

It's seems like the lower it mounts, the better. I want a very fine, crisp dot. I don't care about other display patterns, like rings. The one I have can be either red or green, and that seems like a useful feature.

Other than these things, what should I be looking for?
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: What makes a good red dot for a handgun?

- lower is good
- dot size is dependent on application - for action shooting I use a 8 MOA dot (actually a 7.5 MOA triangle)
- a wide field of view
- change the battery without removing the dot.
- auto on/off feature to save battery life
- a commonly found battery such as a CR3202
- positive clicks on elevation/windage controls
- more than 3 levels of dot intensity

Yikes! I just looked at red dots on Midway USA and the prices are as much as actual guns! And for that money you get fewer features than my cheapo $30 one I'm using now. That makes me want to just stick with what I have for a while. Does it really make sense to pay several hundred dollars for one of these things? Do you really get your money's worth?
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Like all things there are shortcuts. For example, C-More red dots are the most popular among competition shooters because of their wide field of view and crisp dot. You can buy a Chinese knockoff from Ali Express for $30 and replace the laser with a C-More laser module for $50, voila for $80 you have the equivalent of a $200+ red dot. Also, Fleabay is your friend. I got a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro for $225 which is normally $400. This RMR is mounted on a pistol that will fire 10-15K rounds a year, so I'll pay the premium for the reliability.

The Romeo1 Red Dot that came integrated on my P320 Compact RX seems like an awfully nice one. The MSRP on it alone is high enough to make me gasp, but I got a decent price on the package (about $800) and the full size version can be had for about the same. Reviews I've read said that Sig did a great job on matching up the the red dot to the firearm.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."