Re: Scope plus red dot mount.

As a person who loves gadgets, this has an attraction to me. But as an out-of-shape woman, I have to remember that I have to lug that heavy stuff around. For me, an AR is for emergency situations where I may have to run with it, carry it for miles, and/or maneuver through tight spaces and obstacles. A big heavy gun with a bunch of stuff on it would not be good for me. YMMV
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I'm using a Vorex StrikeFire II with a 3X flip out magnifier and it works pretty well. Love a red dot for quick look and shoot stuff out to 100+ yards. With the 3X magnifier I can hunker dwon and get serious but the dot (3 MOA) is too big. If I had it to do over again I' spend more and get one of the EoTech offerings with flip out 3X and 1 MOA dot.

https://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-w ... -magnifier

The idea of having all kinds of stuff sticking out to the side and such isn't for me. Neat idea but too "TactiCool" without much gain over a good scope *or* a good red dot. I think you'll do better with a magnified red dot rather than a separate mounted red dot next to the scope.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Hiker wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am As a person who loves gadgets, this has an attraction to me. But as an out-of-shape woman, I have to remember that I have to lug that heavy stuff around. For me, an AR is for emergency situations where I may have to run with it, carry it for miles, and/or maneuver through tight spaces and obstacles. A big heavy gun with a bunch of stuff on it would not be good for me. YMMV
OK on the other hand..... when I saw this:
scope red dot mount.jpg
I remember my violin teacher telling me that I had a long neck. When I try to shoot my KelTec sub2000, it is hard for me to bend down enough to shoot it. I also remember that I want a gun in .224 Valkyrie. Soooo.... maybe instead of me running around with a light weight bare AR, I'll have that long barreled AR in 224 Valkyrie, with the red dot on top. For quick action around my fortress/compound, I'll have the quick aim of the red dot, and for those guys setting up the trebuchet a half mile away, I'll hunker down and use the scope. OK, maybe I've been hanging out with the Ren faire folks too much.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

It's a pretty common configuration for competition shooters in open class. My PCC is set up similarly except with two red dots and a laser. Holding the rifle at 45º is a bit more maneuverable in tight spots and the red dot on top of the rail is used for open spaces and distance shooting. Laser is for hosing. Warne has been selling a version for some time

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 pm I'm using a Vorex StrikeFire II with a 3X flip out magnifier and it works pretty well. Love a red dot for quick look and shoot stuff out to 100+ yards. With the 3X magnifier I can hunker dwon and get serious but the dot (3 MOA) is too big. If I had it to do over again I' spend more and get one of the EoTech offerings with flip out 3X and 1 MOA dot.

https://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-w ... -magnifier

The idea of having all kinds of stuff sticking out to the side and such isn't for me. Neat idea but too "TactiCool" without much gain over a good scope *or* a good red dot. I think you'll do better with a magnified red dot rather than a separate mounted red dot next to the scope.

VooDoo
I have a Strikefire here that hasn't seen much use but in quick tests inside the house looks excellent. I plan to recycle it for use on an FN PS90 when that gets short barreled into a semi-auto P90.

JohnNewell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am Thoughts? http://soldiersystems.net/2019/01/09/ba ... lar-mount/

My primary rifle is a Steyr AUG that is set up like most of the current Austrian rifles: Factory 3x glass optic in the carry handle with a 1x red dot on top of the handle. I have found that, with some practice, the setup works well. 3x works best when you have the time to stop and aim. 1x works better when you are walking toward a target and want to keep both eyes open.

I like the idea of a flip over magnifier and will probably do that with a future rifle but with the secondary red dot there is no time lost in transition. Your eyes automatically go to whatever optic works the best at the moment.