Re: Newly discovered enzyme that turns air into electricity, providing a new clean source of energy

I mentioned replication studies because every new headline reminds me of the media frenzy in 1989 when two chemists at the University of Utah proclaimed their discovery of cold nuclear fusion.
Two chemists announced at the University of Utah that they had sustained nuclear fusion -- the power that makes the sun burn -- in a beaker of water at room temperature. Astonishing in its simplicity, the experiment was hailed in a university news release as having the "potential to provide an inexhaustible source of energy."

Having commanded the world's attention, many Utahans embraced "cold fusion" with unbridled boosterism only to see the giddy zeal succeeded by disappointment and even embarrassed defensiveness when other scientists failed to confirm the breakthrough. Today the scientific phenomenon remains a mystery -- intriguing, inexplicable and apparently no closer to commercial exploitation than it ever was.
In the case of cold fusion, when scientists elsewhere last fall appeared to breathe some hope back into the Utah experiments conducted by chemists B. Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann, an editorial in the Deseret News pounced on the news: "The vindication of Pons and Fleischmann is a vindication of Utah and the University of Utah." But soon after, a Department of Energy panel concluded that the Utah researchers' results failed to warrant special federal funding.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 1a2dd9215/

In 2022 when the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory announced that they achieved nuclear fusion, it was a long process that included outside scientists who critiqued and confirmed their experiment.
https://www.llnl.gov/news/national-igni ... n-ignition

Beware the media hype.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Newly discovered enzyme that turns air into electricity, providing a new clean source of energy

sikacz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:39 pm Karmann Ghia is a much more desirable car in my opinion than the Sunbeam. Perhaps not during the time of filming, but the Ghia has style, the Sunbeam not so much. Sure the Ghia wasn’t a performance car, it wasn’t in that niche. I had a Volvo P1800S, also a dog in the performance category, but it had class.
My cousin had a Gen-1 Tiger with the Ford 260 cubic inch V-8, and while it was British-weird, it was an unholy BEAST, built by Carrol Shelby. It LOOKED like the sports-car it was. It had 3 tops--a tonneau cover that left only the driver's seat uncovered--the rest flat to reduce wind resistance, a foldable canvas cover(manual), and a removable hard-top, similar to a 'Vette or a Mercedes SL600. He let my 17 year old brother drive it and they hit something like a 130mph on the highway!

I always thought the Karman Ghia was the ugliest excuse for fake sports car on the planet. Fugly! In fact, I think you have to go to something like a Citroen Canard with the canvas seats and fold-down windows, or a Yugo to find an uglier car on the planet. Plus, a "secret agent" needs a performance car. Why do you think James Bond drove an Aston Martin? Because it was a slug? Not! The K-G was the slug's slug.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:22 am
sikacz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:39 pm Karmann Ghia is a much more desirable car in my opinion than the Sunbeam. Perhaps not during the time of filming, but the Ghia has style, the Sunbeam not so much. Sure the Ghia wasn’t a performance car, it wasn’t in that niche. I had a Volvo P1800S, also a dog in the performance category, but it had class.
My cousin had a Gen-1 Tiger with the Ford 260 cubic inch V-8, and while it was British-weird, it was an unholy BEAST, built by Carrol Shelby. It LOOKED like the sports-car it was. It had 3 tops--a tonneau cover that left only the driver's seat uncovered--the rest flat to reduce wind resistance, a foldable canvas cover(manual), and a removable hard-top, similar to a 'Vette or a Mercedes SL600. He let my 17 year old brother drive it and they hit something like a 130mph on the highway!

I always thought the Karman Ghia was the ugliest excuse for fake sports car on the planet. Fugly! In fact, I think you have to go to something like a Citroen Canard with the canvas seats and fold-down windows, or a Yugo to find an uglier car on the planet. Plus, a "secret agent" needs a performance car. Why do you think James Bond drove an Aston Martin? Because it was a slug? Not! The K-G was the slug's slug.
Those power cars are for a different purpose, they couldn’t compete in rallies with smaller more nimble cars like the SAAB and the MINI. The Cobras were for tracks a totally different type of racing.
As for the modern Aston Martin its formula 1 pedigree does have wins on formula F1 tracks, but those are a far cry from the Aston Martin sold as a performance sports car. The US perspective always seems to go for brute strength and muscle cars. That’s ok, but in other countries nimble performance is just as appreciated in road courses that would tear apart a fancy Aston Martin or a Cobra. Design for function, these are all different for different uses. Depending on courses, a car with less horsepower can be very effective against a more powerful car if the more powerful car doesn’t have the distance to take advantage of its engine. As has been proven on rally circuits in the past. Of course we now have small car platforms that have more horsepower than muscle cars of the past. That’s now and not in the 1960’s. The DB1 and DB2 were distance racing type cars, LeMans. High speed and endurance.
As for appreciation, to me the Sunbeam Tiger is ugly and the Ghia is svelte and beautiful. Your point is valid for you, not everyone. We will just have to disagree on classic car beauty.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:05 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:22 am

Those power cars are for a different purpose, they couldn’t compete in rallies with smaller more nimble cars like the SAAB and the MINI. The Cobras were for tracks a totally different type of racing.
As for the modern Aston Martin its formula 1 pedigree does have wins on formula F1 tracks, but those are a far cry from the Aston Martin sold as a performance sports car. The US perspective always seems to go for brute strength and muscle cars. That’s ok, but in other countries nimble performance is just as appreciated in road courses that would tear apart a fancy Aston Martin or a Cobra. Design for function, these are all different for different uses. Depending on courses, a car with less horsepower can be very effective against a more powerful car if the more powerful car doesn’t have the distance to take advantage of its engine. As has been proven on rally circuits in the past. Of course we now have small car platforms that have more horsepower than muscle cars of the past. That’s now and not in the 1960’s. The DB1 and DB2 were distance racing type cars, LeMans. High speed and endurance.
As for appreciation, to me the Sunbeam Tiger is ugly and the Ghia is svelte and beautiful. Your point is valid for you, not everyone. We will just have to disagree on classic car beauty.
The Tiger wasn't simply a straight line car--it handled curves brilliantly, As for the Saab and its 3 cylinder engine--it was a 2-stroke so it had nearly double the HP of a 4-stroke of the same displacement. Because ever cylinder fires every revolution, rather than every other, 3 cylinders are a well-balanced engine in a two-stroke. Kawasaki and Suzuki built scads of them. Saab broke from the tradition by having 4 speeds on the steering wheel tree rather than three. It wasn't a pretty car but it was an eminently practical one, with front wheel drive and a powerful engine. My brother had one--killed it using the wrong oil--Saab didn't have an oil injection pump. My 1971 250 cc Zook had one. My cousin has a Saab graveyard, with between 6 and 10 of them--he's got 40 acres of a mountainside.

We do have to disagree. To me, the Karman Ghia looks like a mole. I thought even the beetle was better looking.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."