Re: Biden's student loan forgiveness plan.

sikacz wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:07 pm Absolutely education should be publicly funded. My wife was able to get a PhD under a publicly funded system in Finland. I doubt it would cause a hardship in our country to do the same.
Ahhh...Scandinavia !!
Highest Tax rate of the free world!
Highest Standard Of Living of the entire world (though New Zealand is up there too)!!
Highest Literacy of the world (though Japan is right there with 'em)!!!
Happiest Humans in the Universe!!!!

Wonder how they manage that?

The average American is too fucking stupid to realize that it isn't how much ya pay in taxes, it's what ya get for the taxes ya pay!
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

We're the policeman of the world as the only superpower, in addition to being the main banker of the world and the main reserve currency. That takes money and we all pay for it. The EU has wonderful womb to tomb publicly provided services including medical and educational services. Russia's Ukraine invasion has sent shock waves through the system as they try to wean themselves from Russian oil and natural gas and fight inflation from the pandemic. Germany has been the industrial powerhouse of the EU but it's hurting, the US dollar and EU Euro are still even.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mitch McConnell’s Condemnation of Debt Relief Is Dripping With Hypocrisy

Often in this society, when a scam is exposed, one must peel it layer by layer like an onion to reveal the stinky green, tear-inducing nubbin at the core. This week’s lesson in “How We Get Screwed Everywhere We Turn” finds us confronting the sticky wicket of student loan debt, and the problem some people have with the idea that other people might get something that helps them.
Great read here with the full article. https://truthout.org/articles/mitch-mcc ... hypocrisy/

The rich get richer and we get screwed.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I think much of the backlash against this is Biden is calling families making 250K a year "low income." Lawerence Tribe was roasted on Twitter for thanking Biden for helping the downtrodden Harvard graduates. The other question: Is this even legal by executive order. Clips of Pelosi stating that debt cannot be cancelled without Congress are now continually playing on social media. Also student loan cancellation for the wealthy is very regressive as they will be making more money in the long run. Ive noticed that this is becoming an even more heated topic than abortion rights as of late.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

Follow the money. Then you know who is really causing this to be front-page news.

Other wedge issues like abortion or gay marriage are purely to distract society from paying attention to economic reforms like anti-trust and regulations of the finance/banking industry.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:42 pm Follow the money. Then you know who is really causing this to be front-page news.

Other wedge issues like abortion or gay marriage are purely to distract society from paying attention to economic reforms like anti-trust and regulations of the finance/banking industry.
Shiny Objects.
highdesert wrote: We're the policeman of the world as the only superpower...
Only in our minds. Much of the world learned after Iraq that we are not to be trusted. I see the EU together with Scandinavia leaning towards autonomy in defensive matters, seeking perhaps our technology without our input, with Taiwan and Japan watching very closely.
We Are So Screwed

One of the uniquenesses of this is that it is a change in what has been a unique characteristic of "modern" America. By that, most transfers in most XenX'ers living memory, aware or not, have been the transfer of wealth from the young to the old. This is not the way it has always been. In fact, the early boomers were able to take advantage of transfers to the young, when they were positioned to tasks advantage of it.

This is not only in the provision of good, well-funded schools but also in, what we now see as, "Cadillac" health insurance plans for many. Then came the Clinton/Gingrich welfare reform. I remain amazed by the number of people who express their opinions on social programmes yet are entirely ignorant of changes made twenty-five years ago.

This has been a shake to a generation that has lived their lives under the base assumption that everything should go to them.

Sorry if I am a bit off today, quite literally, my English Bulldog died this morning. His unrelenting love and happiness carried me past . . . a very hard point.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Hasaf wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:15 pm One of the uniquenesses of this is that it is a change in what has been a unique characteristic of "modern" America. By that, most transfers in most XenX'ers living memory, aware or not, have been the transfer of wealth from the young to the old. This is not the way it has always been. In fact, the early boomers were able to take advantage of transfers to the young, when they were positioned to tasks advantage of it.

This is not only in the provision of good, well-funded schools but also in, what we now see as, "Cadillac" health insurance plans for many. Then came the Clinton/Gingrich welfare reform. I remain amazed by the number of people who express their opinions on social programmes yet are entirely ignorant of changes made twenty-five years ago.

This has been a shake to a generation that has lived their lives under the base assumption that everything should go to them.

Sorry if I am a bit off today, quite literally, my English Bulldog died this morning. His unrelenting love and happiness carried me past . . . a very hard point.
My heart felt condolences to you and the loss of your friend...indeed piece of your soul...
I know your pain.

The "greatest generation" is I believe the first where opportunity met a level playing field amongst the classes. My grand parents were impoverished. But not for the GI Bill, my parent's would never have had the opportunity to attend college. Being a boomer I was afforded a level of food security that no generation before me had enjoyed. I never knew hunger. My parent's could not say that.

I think that to a large extent my generation has squandered the affluence of the latter part of the 20th century. We took it for granted. And wasted it. Among much of my children's generation the thought of ever achieving something akin to the security is considered delusional.

A $10k credit toward a staggering debt generated attending a for profit college is almost like offering a person drowning in the ocean a glass of fresh water. They might appreciate having something other than salt water to drink, but would probably prefer to get it themselves after being tossed a life preserver.
We Are So Screwed