Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:15 am CD I would hope that happens , but I’m not betting on it to happen as there is too many MAGA idiots along with those following the other Rightwing mantras and will vote. Also the State legislatures with the Federal courts have Gerrymander the political districts to favor the Rightwing.

I guess my counter if we lose is to say traitors deserve representation in Congress just like the rest of us. Icky thought.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Received mail in ballot in mail today. Already completed voting, required ID's in two places, sealed and signed over flap, postage stamped. Will hand carry to PO Monday. Long two sided ballot was a PITA thanks to dick Abbott's new law that you have to fill each blank in as no longer a one spot for party voting.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:15 pm Received mail in ballot in mail today. Already completed voting, required ID's in two places, sealed and signed over flap, postage stamped. Will hand carry to PO Monday. Long two sided ballot was a PITA thanks to dick Abbott's new law that you have to fill each blank in as no longer a one spot for party voting.
Voting by mail is very convenient, I won't go back to queueing at the local precinct. My ballot was long too, state appellate judges were up for reelection plus state and local ballot propositions. We've never had the option here of just ticking a box to vote straight party.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Got our ballots yesterday. We've got them splayed out on the spare table with two local papers' endorsement and sixteen mailers. We'll take a few days to fill it out. Lots of local stuff from school board to city council to board of supes in addition to the statewide stuff. Be still my beating heart!

CDFingers

The Big Corporations do not want the .gov to be able to supply health care and retirement so workers can be owned from cradle to grave by the corporations. And they said it wasn't about slavery.
Corporate media outlets are mostly ignoring a Republican ploy to use the debt ceiling fight to gut Social Security and Medicare if the GOP regains control of Congress—a plot that one leading watchdog on Friday called "perhaps the single most consequential story" of the midterm elections.

"Social Security and Medicare are on the ballot next month," said Media Matters for America senior fellow Matt Gertz. "If the American public doesn't know that, it's in part because the press isn't telling them."

Common Dreams reported earlier this week that Social Security and Medicare defenders are warning that the popular programs—which each serve tens of millions of older Americans—face "grave danger" in the event Republicans retake control of Congress in January.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/ ... d-medicare

Vote blue in 22. If it's red, you'll be dead.

CDFingers

From the Washington Post fact checker.
“Republicans plan to end Social Security and Medicare if they take back the Senate.”

— Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), in a tweet, Sept. 25
When an election campaign enters its final weeks, year after year, both political parties rely on familiar themes to attack their opponents. For Republicans, it’s crime and immigration. For Democrats, it’s Social Security and Medicare.
When Social Security was established in 1935, most Republican lawmakers supported it — but more Republicans than Democrats opposed it. When Medicare was created in 1965, slightly more Republicans opposed the new program than supported it, in contrast to the broad support among Democrats. Decades later, Democrats have never let Republicans forget this history. In campaign attacks, Democrats often conjure up nonexistent plans by Republicans to terminate or somehow undermine the programs. This tactic has certainly given us material to fact-check.
Now comes the latest iteration of this campaign attack. But it’s just as empty as the previous ones. The main source of this accusation is a document issued by Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which helps elect Republicans to the Senate. In February, Scott released a 60-page “11-point plan to rescue America” that offered 128 proposals. Buried on Page 38, in a section on government restructuring, was one sentence: “All federal legislation sunsets in 5 years. If a law is worth keeping, Congress can pass it again.” “We will not have as part of our agenda a bill that raises taxes on half of the American people and sunsets Social Security and Medicare within five years,” McConnell told reporters March 1. “That will not be part of a Republican Senate majority agenda.” (Scott also proposed requiring every American to pay some kind of tax, an idea that quickly found its way into Democratic attacks.)
Murray would have been on more solid ground if she had cited Scott or Johnson by name and described their proposals, as Biden has done in campaign speeches. Instead, she condemns the whole caucus. This is yet another example in which Democrats strain to conjure up a nonexistent GOP plan regarding Social Security and Medicare. Murray earns Four Pinocchios.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -medicare/
https://archive.ph/ZuxVE#selection-979.0-989.160

The Republican right aren't the only ones peddling conspiracies, the Democratic left does it too. This is a hotly contested midterm election, both parties pull out all the wedge issues to try and win. Common Dreams isn't an unbiased source.

Laws in CA sunset, in other words they have an expiration date. To keep them in effect the legislature reenacts them into law.
Last edited by highdesert on Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I live in Washington state. I don't think I'd say it's hotly contested, I'd say (in agreement with the Seattle Times) that there are two different races being run.

There's the race in the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia-I-5 corridor, which is a slam-dunk for Senator Murray. Then there's the race being run in rural Washington, in which everyone is screaming about completely different issues. The two races have very few issues in common, other than the seat they're running for. That race is being won fairly easily by Ms. Smiley.

No one in either race is going to change their mind; not only are the two races not talking to each other, but if they did, everyone would be screaming about completely different issues.

Since the overwhelming majority of Washington voters live in the I-5 corridor, our next senator will be Senator Murray, again, just like it's been for thirty years. She's the third senior Democratic Senator, and the sixth overall senior senator in the senate. It's a done deal.

Ylatkit wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:00 am I live in Washington state. I don't think I'd say it's hotly contested, I'd say (in agreement with the Seattle Times) that there are two different races being run.

There's the race in the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia-I-5 corridor, which is a slam-dunk for Senator Murray. Then there's the race being run in rural Washington, in which everyone is screaming about completely different issues. The two races have very few issues in common, other than the seat they're running for. That race is being won fairly easily by Ms. Smiley.

No one in either race is going to change their mind; not only are the two races not talking to each other, but if they did, everyone would be screaming about completely different issues.

Since the overwhelming majority of Washington voters live in the I-5 corridor, our next senator will be Senator Murray, again, just like it's been for thirty years. She's the third senior Democratic Senator, and the sixth overall senior senator in the senate. It's a done deal.

You're right the votes to reelect Murray are in western WA, basically the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia metro areas. Same in OR, the Portland-Salem-Eugene areas seem to dominate that state. On another thread I linked an article that talked about people in eastern WA and people in eastern OR who want to break away and join ID. They are tired of their votes being canceled out by metro area Democratic and liberal voters who don't think like they do. It's the same nationwide, the great urban vs rural divide.

CBS Sunday had a segment on a group called "Braver Angels" that helps bridge the polarization gap.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/braver-ang ... e-america/

highdesert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:44 am
The Republican right aren't the only ones peddling conspiracies, the Democratic left does it too. This is a hotly contested midterm election, both parties pull out all the wedge issues to try and win. Common Dreams isn't an unbiased source.

Laws in CA sunset, in other words they have an expiration date. To keep them in effect the legislature reenacts them into law.
Beau thinks it's a little bit out there but would not put it past them. He outlines the strategies of suck.

[youtu_be]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob5yJc9 ... 2KnD5oyZMQ[/youtu_be]

CDFingers

For the Midterm Elections, If the Repugs win the house and senate we can expect to be screwed Especially if they can force Biden to pass some legislation they want or just drive the Federal government to a standstill over the budget and debt ceiling. Other ideas their pea brains are considering. Cuts to Social Security and Medicare, Rick Scott's part of his scheme that all federal laws should expire every five years and have to be revoted on to continue.
https://www.wamc.org/commentary-opinion ... d-medicare
https://www.mediamatters.org/bloomberg/ ... oy-economy
Also block climate legislation increase taxes on the middle and lower class. The list goes on and on.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

American voters get tired of one party holding the trifecta, they like divided government. That's not always true for their state governments, but it is with Washington. All the House forecasts show it going red, but there are about 30 toss up House seats throughout the US that everyone will be watching on election night and beyond. The generic polls swung to Democrats for a short period, but are back to favoring Republicans.

The Senate is a tossup, Nevada and Georgia mainly though AZ and PA aren't a sure thing for Dems and WI and OH aren't a sure things for Reps. Polling always tightens up before an election, but a lot of the polling is within the margin of error. I don't think we'll see a wave for either party on November 8th, but who knows.

BTW I'm not a follower of Beau of the Fifth Column, real name Justin King on Youtube.
https://archive.ph/ukwEK

CBS News has their Battleground Tracking Poll running, tracking polls collect data over a long period of time. This tracker is being done by YouGov for CBS, YouGov is a UK based international pollster. Yesterdays update for the House shows 211 Democrats and 224 Republicans. The economy and gas prices are huge factors.
By double digits, Democrats are still losing independents who report their personal financial situation is bad, and those for whom high prices have made their lives worse or more difficult.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republican ... 022-10-16/

Interesting question #14 about the sample.
14. Regardless of how you are voting this year, which best describes what you have done in the past? Do you –
Always vote for Democrats . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22%
Mostly vote for Democrats, but not always . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .22%
Vote about equally for a mix of Republicans and Democrats . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14%
Mostly vote for Republicans, but not always . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23%
Always vote for Republicans . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18%

What do you do when you are running for office and you can’t find anybody willing to write anything nice about you in an endorsement? You write it yourself.
Utah Republican Senator Mike Lee was the subject of mockery on Twitter after he bizarrely endorsed himself in the third person in an op-ed for The Salt Lake Tribune.
https://www.rawstory.com/mike-lee-2658461269/
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Lee's running for reelection against Evan McMullin, an independent who has the endorsement of the Utah Democratic Party. I heard McMullin interviewed and he comes across as thoughtful and intelligent. Lee is the incumbent and it's assumed that he'll win, but he's not 10 or 20 points ahead of McMullin it's 3 to 5 points ahead. Shame more pollsters aren't surveying this election.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7735.html

The latest NY Times/Siena College poll is interesting, about the 2022 and the 2024 election. Siena College is the pollster, but Nate Cohen the polling guru at NYT is very involved. I like the format, it's easier to analyze. The person who initially uploaded this cut off the last columns to the right. I can give you some of the data if you need it.
https://archive.ph/uut6x

Bodycam Video Shows Florida Police And Citizens Baffled During Voter Fraud Arrests

Police body camera footage released by a Florida newspaper Tuesday shows how the arrests of several residents for alleged voter fraud two months ago touched off scenes of bafflement on all sides.
On Aug. 18, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) held a press conference to announce the arrests of 20 people — a political stunt aimed at grossly exaggerating the impact of voter fraud on U.S. elections.
DeSantis said at the time that the arrests were “just the first step” to a crackdown on supposedly widespread voter fraud, an issue that has become former President Donald Trump’s rallying cry since he lost his 2020 reelection bid. The governor, a staunch Trump ally, is seen to be jockeying for the Republican Party’s next presidential nomination.
More recently, after Hurricane Ian hit Florida last month, DeSantis was accused of using the natural disaster as an opportunity to disenfranchise Democratic voters in his state.
The governor agreed last week to make it easier for Floridians to vote in November’s midterm election, as infrastructure in some places remains devastated. But an executive order he signed only grants accommodations for voters in Republican-leaning counties, despite the fact that Democratic-leaning Orange County was also hit hard by the storm and saw massive flooding.
Full story: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/florida ... f89f5ba545

Well this is just a peak of what may come in the next election.

Several of those arrested as part of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis' "opening salvo" on his Office of Election Crimes and Security fraud appeared to have no idea why they were being arrested and seemed to be unaware that they were being accused of violating state law when they voted, according to police body camera footage shared with CBS News. The footage was first reported by the Tampa Bay Times and was provided by the Tampa Police Department. It shows the arrests of three of the twenty people who allegedly broke the state's election laws on felon voting rights: Tony Patterson, 43, Byron Leanord Smith, 65, and Romona Oliver, 55.

All are listed as residents of Tampa, Fla. and were previously convicted of either murder or a sex offense. They all also voted in 2020, according to voting records provided by Hillsborough County.

In mid-August, DeSantis announced that his election police department had arrested 20 former convicts who had voted, despite the fact that their full voting rights had not been restored. He said that "Amendment 4," a ballot measure that overwhelmingly passed in 2018 that restores voting rights to felons, did not apply to them because felons convicted of murder or a sex offense cannot vote, even if their sentence has been served.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-go ... cam-video/

DeSantis' shiny new state elections security office has to prove it in court.

I predict they will all walk away free with no punishment. If they are punished in any way, I expect Florida will be giving them a large pay check after the lawsuits. There is no merit to this DeSantis BS.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Both political parties are running on the wedge issues. DeSantis is the king of wedge issues on the Republican side, Newsom is the king on the Democratic side at least for abortion. Voter fraud is very low nationally, but it's all part of the Trumper conspiracy over the validity of our elections.

Newsom jumped on the stage defending abortion, but how many women or men face an abortion on a monthly bases, it's a very small percentage. Now how many people face inflation at the grocery store or high gasoline prices, most people do and the party in power takes the hit. Democrats hold the trifecta, which isn't something they own permanently and they get the blame. The same thing happens when Republicans hold the trifecta like they did in 2017 when Trump won the WH, they lost the trifecta in 2018. When the economy is bad the party in power takes the hit, it happens in democracies around the world.

Federal judge rejects fact-challenged effort to save Kansas elections from Chinese communists

TOPEKA — A federal judge has refused to ban the use of drop boxes and electronic voting machines in Kansas for the Nov. 8 general election, rejecting an argument that the devices are vulnerable to Chinese communists who are plotting to weaken America.
U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree denied a request by six Kansans to intervene in the upcoming election. Crabtree said the plaintiffs, who filed a lawsuit in September, were “long on suspicion, contingency and hypothesis, but short on facts.”

The plaintiffs raised concerns that Kansas counties have contracts with vendors that have ties to Chinese communists, who could use election data to intimidate poll workers and influence elections.

“But how might that happen?” Crabtree wrote in a 12-page ruling Wednesday. “What facts provide an inference that there’s a ‘significant risk’ that this will happen? And how would a court order banning use of voting machines and drop boxes spare these evils? Plaintiffs provide no cogent or even plausible answer for those questions.”
https://www.rawstory.com/kansas-election-results/

Well TOS needs to jump on this to add to his complaint that the election was stolen.

The toons are getting stark, so I thought I'd run the risk of stimulating the ire of phone users by posting this.

I live in a purple town in a very red district, and the supporters of the orange spirochete are getting very nervous. Because he looks really guilty and treasonous, and they supported it.

CDFingers

Polls are still tightening, most of the "Undecided" have decided.

CA is surrounded by states with tossup governors races - OR, NV and AZ. All the polling is within the margin of error. OR is a three women race, a Dem, a Rep and an Independent, the incumbent Dem is termed out. NV is a two man race between the incumbent Dem governor and the Rep sheriff of Clark County who also heads the Las Vegas Metro Police. And AZ is a two women race between the current Dem SOS and a Rep former TV news anchor.

The US Senate is still a tossup. NV and GA are tossups on everyone's projections. AZ, PA, WI and OH are in addition to NV & GA on other projections. The consensus of the pundits is it's down to NV and GA, both states currently have incumbent Dem senators running for reelection. Democrats tend to vote early and Republicans more on election day, so exit polling might not be all that accurate and then there is mail only voting.

Most House projections show Reps ahead but not all show them with a safe 218 seat majority, there are still a lot of tossup seats. Even Fox News projections don't show Reps with 2018 safe seats. As polls tighten we could see the number of tossups decrease. Dems were ahead in the generic poll after flogging abortion as an issue, then gas prices went back up along with inflation and their generic poll numbers went down.