Unfriended Someone on FB I've Known since Kindergarten

He posted a political cartoon about about a Black athlete turning away from the flag on principle where the Statue of Liberty turns her back to HIM, painting the athlete as disloyal.

I never would have expected this guy, who I know since 1960 in kindergarten, to post something so racist implying that Black Americans and Black Athletes do not qualify under the 1st Amendment's guarantees of freedom of speech and expression.

It makes me sick how so many people I thought were decent people have turned out to be delusional assholes.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Unfriended Someone on FB I've Known since Kindergarten

I hear you brother. January 6th put the final nail in the coffin of my oldest friend. I have always had a blind spot for him, and I always made excuses for what a piece of shit he really is deep down inside. Finally, I woke up and just asked myself... Why on earth do you think you can save this guy when over 40 years he has only gotten worse?

Life is way too short to surround ourselves with toxic people.

I also came to some big realizations about Facebook a couple of years ago. All those people you re-connected with...Yeah, there's a reason they weren't lifelong friends. I found 99% of anything and everything to do with Facebook was pretty toxic. So I quit it, and I have never looked back.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

JColville wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:47 am You're not the only one YT. At Kindergarten in 1960, that would put you in the same age bracket as me. I had to disown my own brother, as well as a couple of childhood friends and 6 cousins because of crap like that. Sad.
Ouch! Any issues I have with my brothers are them simply acting as ordinary, garden-variety assholes, not as fascist reactionary racists.
While it shocked me, even more shocking was the one-time super-hippy girl (unshaven armpits and legs) totally agreeing with him.

When it comes to protecting their "stuff", lots of former progressives become selfish bigoted assholes.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

January 6th was the last straw for me on FB. I pulled the plug shortly thereafter. I had already done a huge purge after George Floyd’s murder brought the racists to the forefront.

I have one Employee that thinks Jan 6th is “not what it seems,” and is “vaccination hesitant.” And I don’t want anything else that guy posts on FB near me as his boss. I keep it 100% professional Because I have to. Someone who believes the the big lie & follows TFG after the insurrection causes me to doubt their judgement in every other facet of work. I don’t need to see any reenforcing stuff on FB.

I have also not missed FB at all. It really brings the assholes from your past & present to the forefront.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:44 pm Someone who believes the the big lie & follows TFG after the insurrection causes me to doubt their judgement in every other facet of work. I don’t need to see any reenforcing stuff on FB.
Glad to know I'm not the only one.
I have a hard time having ANY respect for ANY Trumpie I meet. To me that shows pure tribalism over any sort of common sense...HUGE red flag for me. Sadly, more than 50% of my community are trump supporters (they're naming a road after him). Can't wait till my son is done with high school, then we can move to a sane part of the country.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 pm I have absolutely ZERO respect for Trumpists. They are morons, or crazy dip-shits who should know better, or totally immoral/amoral opportunists.
They can all go fuck themselves, get Covid and die for all I care.
Now quit trying to candy coat it and tell us how you feel:)

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 pm I have absolutely ZERO respect for Trumpists. They are morons, or crazy dip-shits who should know better, or totally immoral/amoral opportunists.
They can all go fuck themselves, get Covid and die for all I care.
With the new variants of COVID that just might happen. It will make winning elections easier. :sarcasm:

I dropped out of FB years ago during the last Bush admin due to idiot family and co-workers spreading the BS. I haven't missed it one bit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Beating a dead horse - never had to unfriend on FB cause I never joined. Fairly confident I haven't missed a damned thing for not enlisting that email, text or a hand written USPS delivered letter couldn't do as well or better.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I don’t do FB on any regular basis. When I do, I don’t read “friend’s” post generally, unless they belong this club or it’s about a specific hobby. I post about cats, cars and motorcycles. Only place of late I will post about guns is on our FB pages. I don’t follow any political discussions and I avoid discussions on politics. I l learned a few years back that political positions on FB are not flexible and logical discussions do not work. So far it’s working fine and even though there are undoubtedly some people in my list that could get unfriended I have not found cause since I rarely read any of their posts. If it wasn’t for my hobbies and this club I probably wouldn’t bother with FB at all.
B65C1418-A3F6-4444-BB0B-A526E2CFE987.jpeg

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Bisbee wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:50 pm OMG, I suddenly discover I’m surrounded by curmudgeons! My crusty side has dragged me into its lair!
:lol:

Hey, I'm disconcerted by some of the bloodthirstiness I see here. I mean, don't get me wrong - guns are dangerous and the other side of the self-defense coin is punching holes in other human beings with horrific violence. I accept that. But - violence escalates. The only way to win is not to play.

Also, the motto for social media. Although I do kind of enjoy skimming other people's Twitter.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:54 pm I don’t do FB on any regular basis. When I do, I don’t read “friend’s” post generally, unless they belong this club or it’s about a specific hobby. I post about cats, cars and motorcycles. Only place of late I will post about guns is on our FB pages. I don’t follow any political discussions and I avoid discussions on politics. I l learned a few years back that political positions on FB are not flexible and logical discussions do not work. So far it’s working fine and even though there are undoubtedly some people in my list that could get unfriended I have not found cause since I rarely read any of their posts. If it wasn’t for my hobbies and this club I probably wouldn’t bother with FB at all.
B65C1418-A3F6-4444-BB0B-A526E2CFE987.jpeg
Funny you should mention it. Here in the Bahamas and I've been trying to get my bike on the road to get it registered. It's sat for 2 years and while it started with a jump, when I went to adjust tire pressure the rear valve stem broke off! I was able to get the bead broken but not able to get the tire off. So, I drove into town (Marsh Harbour) to get my Bahamian "road test" (a joke) and get a Bahamian DL, which NOW is required to re-register vehicles (a 20 year old Honda Stream). I threw the rear wheel in the back and searched to see if the Yamaha dealer has reopened. He hasn't and only one place on the island mounts and dismounts tires. So I went there on the off chance they could do it...Much to my SHOCK they were able to replace the valve stem, saving having to carry the wheel back to New Jersey. Now, if I can only get the battery to hold a solid charge........................

I am probably one of seven or eight “Millennials” worldwide who has never used Facebook, but the more I hear or read about it, the more I am repulsed by it. The privacy issues are bad enough, but the “bubbles” that only serve to reinforce asinine conspiracy theories makes it utterly unpalatable.

"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

7N6Wolf wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:19 pm I am probably one of seven or eight “Millennials” worldwide who has never used Facebook, but the more I hear or read about it, the more I am repulsed by it. The privacy issues are bad enough, but the “bubbles” that only serve to reinforce asinine conspiracy theories makes it utterly unpalatable.

FB Purity for Chrome (for Windows) is an extension that wipes away SO much unwanted garbage. FB keeps trying to make FBP unworkable for just that reason.
I keep the FB app disabled on my phone, and didn't install it on my iPad.