17 year old CA girl pushes a mother bear off a wall to save dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKB1kQ33UAA

Video link on BBC
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-57325483

A 17-year-old girl in the San Gabriel Valley was captured on video running up to a bear in her backyard and pushing it away to save her dogs Monday.

The surveillance footage shows the moment just after 2:30 p.m. when a bear and two cubs walked along a brick wall in the teen’s backyard in Bradbury. Three of the family’s dogs started barking at them. At the time, the family was gardening at another end of the yard when they heard the barking. Videos shows the bear swat at the dogs a few times before the teen runs up.
Hailey, said she thought the dogs were barking at other dogs when she first ran toward the wild bear. “I run to see what they’re barking at and it’s not a dog — it’s a bear,” she said.

“I see the bear, it’s grabbing my dog, Valentina, and I have to run over there. She’s a baby,” Hailey said. “And the first thing I think to do is push the bear. And somehow it worked.”

Video shows her shove the bear, causing the animal to fall backward and off the wall.

The teen suffered a sprained finger and scraped her knee, but she and her mother are thankful those are her only injuries. Hailey said she ran from the wild bear as quickly as she could.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/17-yea ... -her-dogs/

That could have gone very wrong, a mother bear with two cubs. Hope animal control captured them and dropped them in a wilderness area.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: 17 year old CA girl pushes a mother bear off a wall to save dogs

California Black Bears are chickenshit...and that's a good thing. Look at the video, that's a momma who is protecting her cubs from dogs trying to attack...and look at how little force that momma bear applied. She didn't want any trouble, just wanted a snack, and for the dogs to leave her cubs alone. Bears are gentle and don't screw with people.

The girl who pushed the bear was in very little danger. That bear would NEVER stand and fight in the presence of those dogs. Bears are scared shitless of dogs.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:26 am California Black Bears are chickenshit...and that's a good thing. Look at the video, that's a momma who is protecting her cubs from dogs trying to attack...and look at how little force that momma bear applied. She didn't want any trouble, just wanted a snack, and for the dogs to leave her cubs alone. Bears are gentle and don't screw with people.

The girl who pushed the bear was in very little danger. That bear would NEVER stand and fight in the presence of those dogs. Bears are scared shitless of dogs.
Bears see dogs as funny looking wolves. Bears don't mess with wolves.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

That is a neighborhood I am very familiar with since a woman-friend lives there and we have strolled the streets of Bradbury regularly. She often sees bears scaling the walls around her backyard and taking a cool dip in her pool. I was enjoying the evening breeze in her backyard once when I saw a shadow move on the other side of a wall near her trash cans and activate the motion lights. When I saw it was a huge bear (seemed the size of a VW Bug but maybe that was just my imagination) moving as silently as the wind, we both ran into the house and stared at it from the window.

Jeebus they are huge. And so amazingly stealth!

No such thing as animal control removing bears from that area. It borders the San Gabriel mountains and bears are coming down regularly to scavenge for food and water when the weather gets dry.

The video was indeed amusing: to see what happens when two mama energies collide.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

No such thing as animal control removing bears from that area. It borders the San Gabriel mountains and bears are coming down regularly to scavenge for food and water when the weather gets dry.
Ok, so it's not an area where I want to live. They are wild animals and I'm not going to even get close to one. Bisbee, has anyone shot a bear in the SG Valley if they got too close?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Not a common occurrence but yes, I’ve heard of problem bears being “resolved” by authorities. But if you are asking if a resident has shot a bear before, well not that I’ve heard of. (Not without a tag anyway.) Bears here are fast and usually running the opposite direction once they see humans. And most Americans get winded really easily. Especially the old ones that own guns.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi