Eating Cicadas: Cicadafest

Apparently eating cicadas is a thing.
And lo—the spread before me was truly something to behold. Air-fried cicadas! Cicadas covered in vegan chocolate! Skewers of grilled cicadas licked by charcoal flames! Roasted cicadas, rolling around a lasagna tray like gumballs in the world’s most quarter-starved dispenser! To the left were all the condiments you could ever ask for: Barbecue sauce, cocktail sauce, malt vinegar, ketchup, Italian dressing, spicy cashew dressing, Soyaki, and more.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... rs/619059/

I would consider a beer with a cicada at the bottom. Might need lemon.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Eating Cicadas: Cicadafest

Yuck, I'm not eating any bugs especially ones living underground for 17 years.
This year, a group of cicadas known as Brood X is expected to appear in the District of Columbia and at least parts of these 15 states: Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
It's and East Coast, Southern and Midwestern thing, not a Western thing.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DJD100 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:54 pm
CDFingers wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:51 am if I'm going to eat one, I'll have to have killed it myself. Haven't found the proper arrowhead yet.

CDFingers
How about a shotgun and birdshot?
Cicada mist, I've heard. I'm researching a 90 grain seven bladed broad head on top a flu flu arrow. Or maybe a tiny trident fishing arrow for like minnows.

Nothing gets my sweat stinking like an archery challenge. Now to find a guided hunt back east. Champin' at the bit...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Not a greedy bone in my body! Y'all can have my share!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Gets to be a real fad and in 17 years we will have a Cicada shortage and have to declare them an endangered species. Then only the rich Republicans will be able to eat them.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Llew wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:23 pm I read they’re distantly related to shrimp and should not be eaten by people with shellfish allergies. I guess that makes them neither kosher or halal.

There, that’s now a thing you know.
Yes the FDA just put out a warning about that today.

We have a few buzzing around here, not many yet. I used to hunt them down with my BB gun as a kid, then feed them to my pet lizard.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I've yet to see or hear one cicada in my area of SATX. Lots of June bugs, but that's about it. No crickets either. On the other hand, we have a Mockingbird that is attacking everyone walking past my house, and relentlessly dive bombing Jake and myself when we go out front for potty or walk. Jake hesitant to even go out front alone. We've tagged her as MTG wannabe.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Llew wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:23 am Mockingbirds are very territorial. I remember there were some on UT campus who were a big PITA.
That's why they are the Texas State bird, very territorial, loud and PITA. Just like Trumpers.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Llew wrote:Mockingbirds are very territorial. I remember there were some on UT campus who were a big PITA.
When I was there mid 80’s, the Grackles were the PITA. You couldn’t walk under a tree in the late afternoon/early evening, when they roosted in the live oaks on campus, with out getting shit on. It literally rained. Campus seems much cleaner now so I do wonder what they did about that problem.

DamnYankee wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Llew wrote:Mockingbirds are very territorial. I remember there were some on UT campus who were a big PITA.
When I was there mid 80’s, the Grackles were the PITA. You couldn’t walk under a tree in the late afternoon/early evening, when they roosted in the live oaks on campus, with out getting shit on. It literally rained. Campus seems much cleaner now so I do wonder what they did about that problem.
According to Turd, windmills / wind farms. :sarcasm:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Llew wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:23 pm I read they’re distantly related to shrimp and should not be eaten by people with shellfish allergies. I guess that makes them neither kosher or halal.

There, that’s now a thing you know.
Shrimp is not kosher, but anything that comes out of the sea is halal (except for amphibians according to some schools).
Glad that federal government is boring again.