Re: "If HP was set in the US"

highdesert wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:17 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:57 am What the hell is "HP"? Not clicking on something blindly.
Harry Potter
Now there's no way in HELL I would have imagined that...and Hewlett Packard didn't make much sense, either.
Someone once did a "What if" Game of Thrones had all American actors...and the idiots substituted for Jason Momoa, but not Peter Dinklage!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:17 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:57 am What the hell is "HP"? Not clicking on something blindly.
Harry Potter
Now there's no way in HELL I would have imagined that...and Hewlett Packard didn't make much sense, either.
Someone once did a "What if" Game of Thrones had all American actors...and the idiots substituted for Jason Momoa, but not Peter Dinklage!

I was definitely not the HP Generation, more the Tolkien one but those cultures just permeate the media that it's hard not to pick up some of it. The Downton Abbey actors even did a comedy short on DA that was funny.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Llew wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am Me, coming out of the theater after seeing the premier of Jackson's "Fellowship of the Ring": I've waited 30 years to see that.
Voice of old guy behind me: Some of us have waited even longer!

Yes, like many I read all the books but never thought they could be translated to the big screen. Jackson did a wonderful job and at the same time made New Zealand a huge tourist attraction.

Amazon in conjunction with the Tolkien Estate, is spending a billion dollars on a new Tolkien TV series.
This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.
https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2021/0 ... gs-series/
Like work most upcoming Hollywood television shows, production on Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series was halted in early 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. The closure came one month after the series started filming, and after New Zealand instituted protective immigration measures to protect the country from the coronavirus, including 14 days of compulsory self-isolation for citizens and visitors entering the country.

Thankfully, “Lord of the Rings” was among several projects that had been granted a border exemption by New Zealand. The series’ crew aimed to resume filming in September and The Hollywood Reporter confirmed in December that production is underway in New Zealand.
https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/amazo ... wers-2002/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I think I first read the Hobbit and LOTR as a kid in the 60's when my brother had the 3 paperbacks with one fantastic continual painting across all of them. I read them, plus The Silmarillion to my eldest son over about 2 years or more. I loved Peter Jackson's translation even if much had to be altered (No Tom Bombadill, nor does Saruman die at the very end, in The Shire, in the doorway of Bag End, Frodo's home concluding the Battle for The Shire).

Having kids I've read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies, enjoying many classic actors I've seen over the years. But with Rowlings' incredible cruel response to people who are transgender, I lost all interest.
LOTR Covers.JPG
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I've tried watching the Tolkien Lord of the Rings movies but never been able to last through one. Surprisingly though I have been able to watch the Harry Potter movies.

To the topic though, I don't think I'd have ever gotten to "HP" ---> Harry Potter.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I've managed to make my peace with the HP movies, which I've enjoyed despite their flaws, and particularly despite Rowling coming out as a hateful TERF, because the movies were a collaborative effort based on a lot of talented people. I won't buy her books because I refuse to give her my money, but I'm okay with owning and watching the movies.
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

sig230 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:33 pm I've tried watching the Tolkien Lord of the Rings movies but never been able to last through one.
They are not for everyone, but knowing and loving the books so well, it brought them to life. Personally, I cannot STAND horror movies or "comedies" where the protagonist is put in a totally embarrassing and cringeworthy skin-crawling position. And the only Coen Bros. movie I liked was "Raising Arizona". I've HATED the others I have seen and now avoid them.

OTOH, the best and most cutting, not to mention briefest description of LOTR was from a colleague: "....and they walked!"
Which pretty much is the story in a nutshell.
(Bette Midler described Hamlet in twice as many words: "Wottle I do? Wottle I do?!?!?!?")

The books I loved. Worn out many sets.

The movies though simply failed to interest me. The Star Wars movies were the same. I've never been able to watch one all the way through.

I actually read all of the Game of Thrones books (pretty boring) but again, haven't made it through a single episode of the TV version.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Some things just don’t work as well when adapted, especially in fantasy, if you enjoyed the books first. Notable failures include the Narnia stories, Dune (yeah, the McLaglen is fun but let’s face it, Herbert it ain’t), Phillip Pullman, etc.
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

I'm not generally big on fantasy, or paranormal, supernatural, sci-fi, horror, thriller or some other genres. HP never really interested me so never read the books or saw the movies. JK Rowling became one of the richest people in the UK and it sounds like she's become reactionary at least a TERF as Llew commented.

My favorite movie is "Fargo" a great black comedy by the Coens, but I don't like all of their films. They remade "The Ladykillers", but it can't compare to the original 1955 British film. I've watched some of the "Fargo" TV series but it didn't grab me.

i gave up on popular media probably 20 years ago. the last movie i remember seeing was the first star wars. what little i think i know about media is by osmosis, associations percolating through the culture.

the video in the OP is damning. our culture is obsessed with violence, founded on violence, sustained by violence and the threat of it. guns are just among the most obvious icons. but it's a human thing. not just us, we just seem to be the poster children for it in the last 50 years or so. empires are built by conquest.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

sig230 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:12 pm The books I loved. Worn out many sets.

The movies though simply failed to interest me. The Star Wars movies were the same. I've never been able to watch one all the way through.

I actually read all of the Game of Thrones books (pretty boring) but again, haven't made it through a single episode of the TV version.
The first book was great. The second was OK. the 3rd was Meh, and the 4th and 5th sucked.

The first 5 seasons of GoT were amazing. The 6th was between OK and Meh, the 7th sucked, and the 8th was a total piece of shit. After Season 8, I have NEVER had any desire to look at or re-watch any part of the series. 7&8 were total crap unimaginative pot boilers. The actors defended it (they have their careers to think about) but the fans' demand of rewriting and re-filming at least S8 is indicative how fucking atrociously awful it was.

lurker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:37 pm i gave up on popular media probably 20 years ago. the last movie i remember seeing was the first star wars. what little i think i know about media is by osmosis, associations percolating through the culture.

the video in the OP is damning. our culture is obsessed with violence, founded on violence, sustained by violence and the threat of it. guns are just among the most obvious icons. but it's a human thing. not just us, we just seem to be the poster children for it in the last 50 years or so. empires are built by conquest.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Brits don’t have any room to talk considering the amount of violence, conquest and racism their country has spread. They should reflect on the continued existence of the ultimate symbol of inequality and oppression, their monarchy instead. All of it done against people less well armed, all of it done with with rifles and guns. Don’t really care about their opinion of us until they atone for their own past. History is long and they’ve been sticking their noses in other people’s business for a long time.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.