Re: Mars Landing Feb 18

And can your flip-phone also take a photo by itself hovering 3m off the ground and send the pic back to you from 40 million miles away?
:tongue:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Well, that's its shadow on the ground taken by the black and white camera to test--note how the blades are stopped in mid turn. My guess is they're going slowly in testing. I think we will be wowed in the future. Imagine if it flew over to the old rover whose solar panels are covered by dust, and blew it clean. Sweet.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

wings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 pm Whee!

NASA has also posted video from Perseverance.
https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25828/f ... in-flight/
Damn that’s cool! Take that elon. While elon is improving on work before him, it’s not anything that our public funds could not have achieved through NASA. I wish I could go and design a town on Mars. The idea and exploration of what living would be is just mind boggling. It would truly be a new world.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

That little guy is seriously cute. I wish as CD said they could use this drone as a blower to dust off the solar panels on the other rovers. But they’re probably on the other side of the planet or sumthin.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 pm
wings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 pm Whee!

NASA has also posted video from Perseverance.
https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25828/f ... in-flight/
Damn that’s cool! Take that elon. While elon is improving on work before him, it’s not anything that our public funds could not have achieved through NASA. I wish I could go and design a town on Mars. The idea and exploration of what living would be is just mind boggling. It would truly be a new world.
Nobody's stopping you! I mean, nobody's paying you either. But that shouldn't deter you in the slightest.

I mean, Elon's going to steal anything you publish, but that still shouldn't deter you.
lurker wrote: and so far as we know, no indigenous life forms to disposess. of course, if your life support fails, you're toast.
Nobody thinks to do this incrementally. Prove the tech in Antarctica, or at least the Canadian Archipelago. Jan Mayen Land. South Georgia. One of the less-habitable Aleutians. Take your pick. If anyone was serious about doing it properly - including NASA - we'd make damn sure it worked first.
Bisbee wrote: That little guy is seriously cute. I wish as CD said they could use this drone as a blower to dust off the solar panels on the other rovers. But they’re probably on the other side of the planet or sumthin.
Curiosity and Perseverance don't need a blower, because thermoisotope generators. NASA got lucky with dust devils sweeping the panels off for Spirit and Opportunity. Insight has not been so fortunate. A portable fan would have been a better investment than the mole.

Now I hope that I live long enough to see the first person landing on Mars.

I also hope that good understanding of Mars make people realize that this third rock from the sun is the best home we have within at least 40 trillion kilometers. Climate change is a picnic compared to living on Mars.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm Now I hope that I live long enough to see the first person landing on Mars.

I also hope that good understanding of Mars make people realize that this third rock from the sun is the best home we have within at least 40 trillion kilometers. Climate change is a picnic compared to living on Mars.
It wouldn’t be a bad end to be the first person from earth buried on Mars. The universe is big and by any standard Mars is our backyard.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Air & Space Magazine reminded me this morning that Ingenuity is not the first human aircraft to fly on another planet. It is the first powered, heavier-than-air aircraft, but thirty six years ago, a joint Soviet venture floated a balloon on Venus.
The balloon rose, higher still, back past 170,000, climbing farther before leveling off at 177,000 feet, more or less exactly where envisioned. In stark contrast to the hellish ground conditions, “it’s essentially at room tem­peratures,” Kerzhanovich described this altitudinal zone. Pressures there approximate what’s at the summit of an eighteen-thousand-foot mountain; humans could themselves balloon on Venus at that height, in an open gon­dola no less. We’d just have to don scuba tanks.
https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-plane ... 180977540/

wings wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 am Air & Space Magazine reminded me this morning that Ingenuity is not the first human aircraft to fly on another planet. It is the first powered, heavier-than-air aircraft, but thirty six years ago, a joint Soviet venture floated a balloon on Venus.
The balloon rose, higher still, back past 170,000, climbing farther before leveling off at 177,000 feet, more or less exactly where envisioned. In stark contrast to the hellish ground conditions, “it’s essentially at room tem­peratures,” Kerzhanovich described this altitudinal zone. Pressures there approximate what’s at the summit of an eighteen-thousand-foot mountain; humans could themselves balloon on Venus at that height, in an open gon­dola no less. We’d just have to don scuba tanks.
https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-plane ... 180977540/
Nice.

NASA's Perseverance rover just notched another first on Mars, one that may help pave the way for astronauts to explore the Red Planet someday.

The rover successfully used its MOXIE instrument to generate oxygen from the thin, carbon dioxide-dominated Martian atmosphere for the first time, demonstrating technology that could both help astronauts breathe and help propel the rockets that get them back home to Earth.

The MOXIE milestone occurred on Tuesday (April 20), just one day after Perseverance watched over another epic Martian first — the first Mars flight of NASA's Ingenuity helicopter, which rode to the Red Planeton the rover's belly.

"This is a critical first step at converting carbon dioxide to oxygen on Mars," Jim Reuter, associate administrator of NASA's Space Technology Mission Directorate, said in a statement today (April 21). "MOXIE has more work to do, but the results from this technology demonstration are full of promise as we move toward our goal of one day seeing humans on Mars."I
The toaster-sized MOXIE (short for "Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment") produces oxygen from carbon dioxide, expelling carbon monoxide as a waste product. The conversion process occurs at temperatures around 1,470 degrees Fahrenheit (800 degrees Celsius), so MOXIE is made of heat-tolerant materials and features a thin gold coating to keep potentially damaging heat from radiating outward into Perseverance's body.

The MOXIE team warmed the instrument up for two hours yesterday, then had it crank out oxygen for an hour. MOXIE produced 5.4 grams of oxygen during that span, about enough to keep an astronaut breathing easily for 10 minutes, NASA officials said.

That first effort didn't max MOXIE out; it can generate about 10 grams of oxygen per hour. The instrument may reach such levels eventually, for the team plans to conduct about nine more runs over the course of one Mars year (about 687 Earth days).
https://www.space.com/perseverance-rove ... ygen-moxie
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

BTW, there's a story that back during the original Viking program, someone wrote to NBC News complaining that if NASA was really looking for life on Mars they should have landed in one of the cities. IDK if it's urban legend or what.
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

Oh great... colonization on a grander scale. What would the Martians think of our carbon dioxide scavenging, oxygen spewing machine? Probably the same as the plants here on Earth...

BTW, didn’t they already build an air scrubber using cardboard and duct-tape on Apollo 13?