Re: How’s the weather

SubRosa wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:35 pm In my almost 70 years, I've never experienced a February like that recently past.
Lots of rain, snowed 2 days ago. Wind has been brutal at times. We have a bumper crop of weeds now, brush fire fuel down the road.

All this from the land of 122F summers...

We'll see.
You've lived there at your place for 70 years bro or in AZ? ? You got me by 3.

In my youth we used to get this amount and once had near 10ft of snow on Mt. Lemmon. Icicles hanging off the parents roof. Dang near every year the Rillito would run bank to bank a foot deep with snow run off for a month or two. People would Kayak up and down it. Giant Cotton woods lined the wash. Massive floods during monsoon very common.
You could count on the monsoon hitting nearly every day around 2pm.
Ahh the good ole days.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Yesterday the US Forest Service issued a closure order for the San Bernardino Mountains and the San Jacinto Mountains, only emergency vehicles and residents will have access to the areas until March 16th. It's become critical as people are snowed in without utilities and food supplies. San Bernardino County and Riverside County sheriffs' departments will be enforcing the order. The LA TV stations have been posting the order and the two sheriff's department have it on their on Twitter and Facebook feeds pointing saying if you were planning on spending the weekend in the mountains, stay away.

"Help us" can be seen written in the snow near Lake Gregory in San Bernardino County, California, March 3, 2023.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Night before last we had rain and wind gusts officially clocked at 70 to 80 MPH. Also a few tornados. All clear now no damage here but other areas trees down roofs gone etc,.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I'm sort of a weather junkie. Here's the forecast from a neat channel I subscribe to. What I like is he uses and shows many models. This episode discusses Lake Oroville filling up.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The nights here are still in the low 30Fs, but it hit 50F yesterday. Still concern with those trapped in cabins in the San Bernardino and San Jacinto mountains, some roofs have collapsed with the weight of the snow and there have been natural gas leaks and fires.

The British actor Julian Sands an experienced hiker, disappeared in January while hiking on Mt San Antonio (10,000 ft elevation) in the San Gabriel Mountains (San Bernardino County). They found his vehicle, but haven't found Sands. Sheriff's search and rescue found two 17 yr old teen hikers around Mt San Gorgonio alive. They were experienced but they lost their tent and some supplies in the winds, they huddled up and kept warm until found.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:29 pm This weekend's predicted atmospheric river could cause some serious flooding if it melts a lot of the snowpack in the Sierra. Stay safe all you in proximity to the Sierra melt.
Yup looks scary.

Another atmospheric river system has set its sights on California, raising considerable concern about flooding and structural damage as warm rain is expected to fall atop the state’s near-record snowpack this week, forecasters say. “It now appears increasingly likely that a potentially significant and very likely warm atmospheric river event will probably affect some portion of Northern or Central California sometime between about late Thursday and Saturday,” UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain said during a briefing Monday.

Last week, the odds of such a system developing were about 20%. By Monday, the chances had increased to “7 or 8 out of 10, if not higher, for a warm atmospheric river event of some magnitude,” Swain said. At least one more storm could follow this month.
“We’re going to see rain on top of snow, and for elevations of say 2,000 feet to about 4,000 feet, a lot of that snow is going to melt,” said Carlos Molina, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Hanford, Calif. “We’re going to basically lose a lot of the snow that fell from the previous storms. We’re looking at potential for flooding.” Indeed, the highest likelihood of flood-related impacts are in lower-elevation areas with unusually deep snowpack, Swain said. Small rivers and streams in those areas will see significant potential for runoff issues, as will some urban areas — particularly in places where storm drains are already clogged by snow. There may also be problems at elevations above 5,000 or 6,000 feet, he said. Though snowpack in such areas is probably too deep and too cold to be melted by the incoming storm, it can become heavier as it absorbs more water. That could cause roof collapses and other structural issues. “If you can go out and try and remove some snow from structures that might be vulnerable, do it,” Swain said. The state has already seen a spate of roof collapses from mounting snow, including a grocery store providing critical supplies in snowbound Crestline.
https://www.latimes.com/environment/sto ... eric-river
https://archive.ph/Euung

featureless wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:41 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 pm Rain on 8ft of snow. Yes, seems like a disaster coming.
There's 20 to 40 feet plus in a lot of the Sierra right now. If we get an early heat wave, the central valley may get hammered.
Yeah, not good for downstream towns.

CDFingers

You're looking at bee food, almonds blooming, from today's paper, pic taken from a drone. If you look behind the green trees on the horizon there, you'll see the Sutter Buttes, the world's smallest mountain range.

Believe it or not, we're just under normal for rainfall for the season, which began October 1. Normal is about 20 inches, and we're at 18. Some good news is that the local aquifer has increased in depth about 20 feet.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:04 am You're looking at bee food, almonds blooming, from today's paper, pic taken from a drone. If you look behind the green trees on the horizon there, you'll see the Sutter Buttes, the world's smallest mountain range.

CDFingers
Nice. Brought back a memory. I first shot a firearm outside of a summer camp setting in the shadow of Sutter Buttes with one of my CA cousins. My grandfather's 12 ga. shotgun.

highdesert wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:19 am Looks beautiful CDF, but all I can think of is the pollen from all those almond blossoms and I start sneezing. Like orange blossoms down here in spiring.
I'm lucky I don't have those allergies. Next comes plums then walnuts.

CDFingers

The winter storms have sure changed the drought status in CA. The map on the left was September 2022 and the map on the right is March 2023. The San Joaquin Valley which is the southern half of the Central Valley is completely out of drought. The Sacramento Valley or the northern half still has some drought. The Central Valley is not only vital for CA. but for the whole country, it's the largest agricultural producing area in the US. The southern counties in CA grow winter vegetables.

The US Bureau of Reclamation is diverting flood waters to areas of the Central Valley to help replenish the aquifer that was over pumped during the drought years.

I'm in the northern Sacramento valley. Our rain is right at normal for the season, which began Oct. 1. Releases from Lake Oroville are at 25,000 cfps, and it's at 80% full. Yes, we could use more rain up here. Another storm rolls in on Saturday night. Good stuff.

CDFingers

Current storms started on Sunday in my area with light rain, then a continuous drippy rain starting Monday night. Snow and or rain are forecasted for today, but toss a coin. All this rain is both a blessing and a curse for the Central Valley, there is flooding but it's also recharging the aquifers. If should be a great growing season for farmers.

And Big Bear and Mammoth Mountain ski areas have announced they're not closing, so there will be snow skiing into the Summer months.

Weather looks to be cloudy and hopefully rain. One of our AC systems stopped working two days ago. We’ve been waiting on parts for both systems for weeks now. Hoped the systems would continue to function until the parts came in. Just not very lucky lately. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CDFingers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:26 am Something interesting here about groundwater. The state of California is using the flooding of farmland to refill the aquifer. Farmland is allowed to flood and that percolates down and refills the aquifer.

California live groundwater map:

https://sgma.water.ca.gov/CalGWLive/#groundwater

CDFingers
And takes fertilizers with it, polluting the aquifers. Not a great idea. Flooding the land is what started all this in the first place.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”