Re: How’s the weather

While the US Southwest is in drought, British Columbia has torrential floods.
Floods and landslides that have killed at least one person have cut all rail access to Canada's largest port in the city of Vancouver, a spokesperson for the port said on Tuesday.

Two days of torrential rain across the Pacific province of British Columbia touched off major flooding and shut rail routes operated by Canadian Pacific Rail (CP.TO) and Canadian National Railway (CNR.TO), Canada's two biggest rail companies.

"All rail service coming to and from the Port of Vancouver is halted because of flooding in the British Columbia interior," port spokesperson Matti Polychronis said.

At least one person was killed when a mudslide swept cars off Highway 99 near Pemberton, some 100 miles (160 km) to the northeast of Vancouver. Two people were missing and search and rescue crews were combing through the rubble, officials said.

Vancouver's port moves C$550 million ($440 million) worth of cargo a day, ranging from automobiles and finished goods to essential commodities. The floods temporarily shut down much of the movement of wheat and canola from Canada, one of the world's biggest grain exporters, during a busy time for trains to haul grain to the port following the harvest.

Drought has sharply reduced the size of Canada's crops this year, meaning a rail disruption of a few days may not create a significant backlog, a grain industry source told Reuters. Del Dosdall, senior export manager at grain handler Parrish & Heimbecker, said he expected some rail services could be restored by the weekend. Another industry source said he expected the shutdown to last weeks.

OIL PIPELINES SHUT DOWN

Floods have also hampered pipelines. Enbridge Inc (ENB.TO) shut a segment of a British Columbia natural gas pipeline as a precaution. The storms also forced the closure of the Trans Mountain pipeline, which carries up to 300,000 barrels per day of crude oil from Alberta province to the Pacific coast.
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 021-11-16/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It is now 80 degrees and clear skies. We have a cold front expected later today that will drop the temps to 46 tonight and high tomorrow of 59 degrees. Typical fall weather.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Yes, it's getting cooler here too. Two storm fronts passing over heading east, the first one brought light rain to the LA Basin, none in my area. The second one is colder, high today is expected to be 60 and the low at night 30.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:14 am Yes, it's getting cooler here too. Two storm fronts passing over heading east, the first one brought light rain to the LA Basin, none in my area. The second one is colder, high today is expected to be 60 and the low at night 30.
Sounds ideal!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:17 am
highdesert wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:14 am Yes, it's getting cooler here too. Two storm fronts passing over heading east, the first one brought light rain to the LA Basin, none in my area. The second one is colder, high today is expected to be 60 and the low at night 30.
Sounds ideal!

Winter is here. You're all cozy with your lap cat. :)

highdesert wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:19 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:17 am
Sounds ideal!
Winter is here. You're all cozy with your lap cat. :)
Yep!
Last edited by sikacz on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

This week is expected highs in the mid40s to low 50s, lows down to freezing. That's cold for us Californians. The wood stove be burning and we just got a tiny little minisplit installed downstairs (although I think it will struggle until I get the CMU walls insulated.... never ending projects). I am looking forward to some "cold." Might even get a little slushy snow early next week if the forecast holds.

featureless wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:13 am This week is expected highs in the mid40s to low 50s, lows down to freezing. That's cold for us Californians. The wood stove be burning and we just got a tiny little minisplit installed downstairs (although I think it will struggle until I get the CMU walls insulated.... never ending projects). I am looking forward to some "cold." Might even get a little slushy snow early next week if the forecast holds.
What and how are you planning to insulate the CMU with?

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 am
featureless wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:13 am This week is expected highs in the mid40s to low 50s, lows down to freezing. That's cold for us Californians. The wood stove be burning and we just got a tiny little minisplit installed downstairs (although I think it will struggle until I get the CMU walls insulated.... never ending projects). I am looking forward to some "cold." Might even get a little slushy snow early next week if the forecast holds.
2 inches of R-Matte foam board on the inside and outside (taped seams) then sleepers bolted to CMU then drywall or hardiboard. Will end up somewhere around R-26 with 8 inches of "concrete" in the middle. Way over code for our climate, but summers just keep getting hotter and I want to heat/cool entirely with solar (and a wood burner).

featureless wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:24 am
2 inches of R-Matte foam board on the inside and outside (taped seams) then sleepers bolted to CMU then drywall or hardiboard. Will end up somewhere around R-26 with 8 inches of "concrete" in the middle. Way over code for our climate, but summers just keep getting hotter and I want to heat/cool entirely with solar (and a wood burner).
Check if the CMU needs any barrier treatment (vapor barrier or such) applied before the insulation in your area. You don’t want moisture to get stuck in the wrong place in the wall structure.

Light fog and 41 degrees. at 9:00 am. Forecast has high 60 today and 80 by Friday and high 54 by Saturday. Typical Texas December weather.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

We're expecting high 80's low 90's by weeks end. Getting 30-40 F temp swings. 48 this morning, clear skies, sunny, expecting close to 80 this PM.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 am
Check if the CMU needs any barrier treatment (vapor barrier or such) applied before the insulation in your area. You don’t want moisture to get stuck in the wrong place in the wall structure.
Thanks for the caution. The polyiso functions as the vapor barrier and studs will dry to inside or outside of it, respectively.

featureless wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:29 am
Thanks for the caution. The polyiso functions as the vapor barrier and studs will dry to inside or outside of it, respectively.
There might be some free program that allows you to check the wall and how it functions, if you are curious.

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 am

There might be some free program that allows you to check the wall and how it functions, if you are curious.
I've done a lot of research. This is "cutting edge" stuff around here. All the subs look at me like I'm nuts! Especially since I insulated the concrete slab. I fucking hate cold feet.

featureless wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:55 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 am
I've done a lot of research. This is "cutting edge" stuff around here. All the subs look at me like I'm nuts! Especially since I insulated the concrete slab. I fucking hate cold feet.
Sounds good. Subs always complain if they have to do something different than they are used to. LoL.

The last two storms just passed over my area without any rain, though it's cold. The San Bernardino Mountains got snow, they are expecting more snow Tuesday which is good news for the ski lifts.

Had to use F150 AC for med visit today. Bright sun, cloudless mid 80's.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Yesterday high 82 degrees today's forecast high 54 degrees. We had a small cold front come through. We could call it a light blue norther. A real Blue Norther is where you go to work or school wearing short sleeve shirt and is comfortable, but by early afternoon you are scraping ice from the sleet on your windshield. A/C in the ring and Heat in the afternoon.

Had to go to the low desert a little over a week ago for business, it was warm in the morning and by the time I left at noon it was 90 degrees and a/c time.

Those overnight tornados in the Midwest were terrible. Hope members and their families are all safe. Read that a young man in Bowling Green, KY was killed, he was due to graduate from Western Kentucky University at the graduation ceremony today.

highdesert wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Those overnight tornados in the Midwest were terrible. Hope members and their families are all safe. Read that a young man in Bowling Green, KY was killed, he was due to graduate from Western Kentucky University at the graduation ceremony today.
Yes, positive vibes to everyone there. The videos are nothing short of horrific.