Re: How’s the weather

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 pm So far no power outages. We are on Denton Utilites a city owned utilities. They are 100% renewable and not part of ERCOT so we don't have the rolling blackouts.

I have had one frozen pipe that is connected to the master bedroom toilet and an outside hose bib on the west side of house. exposed to the worst wind. and cod. Even with faucet cover it froze. Will go out a little later and use a heat gun on the faucet if I get it thawed then more insulation under the faucet cover.
I put additional insulation on my outdoor faucet under the insulated faucet cover Saturday.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

We had a similar storm a few years ago. My hot water heater busted during that storm and the ice filled my heat pump, so no heater. It was a very cold week.

Stay safe and stay warm. Don't do anything dumb. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:43 pm We had a similar storm a few years ago. My hot water heater busted during that storm and the ice filled my heat pump, so no heater. It was a very cold week.

Stay safe and stay warm. Don't do anything dumb. :)
Good advice.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Went to feed outdoor office cat next door. He was in his warm place under the building. I walked to the end of the street and he was eating by the time I got back.

Attachments
55AA41AE-ED5A-44F6-9155-E4C9EE0DCABE.jpeg
AD50EEEB-FB33-4157-9753-2B92A992F490.jpeg

Between heat lamp, heat gun and sunshine, I'm finally doing laundry. Hoping I don't get a rolling blackout in the interim as have one more load of laundry to do. I'm guessing that wall needs a bit more insulation under the wall panel. House' truly are money pits. And tonight is to be much colder than last. I'm going to leave heat lamp on all night in washroom. Exposed, roof top and patio snow melting. I face almost due north so laundry room south wall gets a good share of sun light during afternoons. Still, this is a long way from over. I expect broken faucets and pipes when we thaw.

EDIT: Laid a pair of fur lined leather gloves on sofa and thought probably not a good idea, but went on with my laundry chore - Jake made mince meat of one - he does love leather. Did a mod on one of my holsters in past. Live and learn. :love:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm Between heat lamp, heat gun and sunshine, I'm finally doing laundry. Hoping I don't get a rolling blackout in the interim as have one more load of laundry to do. I'm guessing that wall needs a bit more insulation under the wall panel. House' truly are money pits. And tonight is to be much colder than last. I'm going to leave heat lamp on all night in washroom. Exposed, roof top and patio snow melting. I face almost due north so laundry room south wall gets a good share of sun light during afternoons. Still, this is a long way from over. I expect broken faucets and pipes when we thaw.

EDIT: Laid a pair of fur lined leather gloves on sofa and thought probably not a good idea, but went on with my laundry chore - Jake made mince meat of one - he does love leather. Did a mod on one of my holsters in past. Live and learn. :love:
I've lost some nice leather gloves by leaving them in a reachable place, too. I would give all my leather gloves to have that dog back with me today.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Touchy subject, and not sure if anyone brought this up, but....

Didn't Texas legislature just decide to secede? And immediately asked for Federal disaster assistance?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Texas legislature didn't ask it was taped about with the rightwing idiots.

At least the Texas Governor asked for Federal disaster assistance. The Oklahoma Republican Governor went on a snow skiing vacation.
Republican governor abandons his state during huge storm to go on skiing vacation

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt's (R) state is being decimated with a winter storm that is expected to dump as much as 15 to 20 inches of snow on the region. While Oklahoma is accustomed to some snow or an ice storm that lasts a day or two, such a snowstorm isn't something the state's municipal governments are able to handle. Still, Stitt took off on a ski vacation.

Texas has begged for a disaster declaration after cities have been forced to shut down, a 133-car accident killed six people and the frigid weather led to warnings of frostbite.

Already, Oklahoma has been forced to begin rolling blackouts to keep from inundating the power grid and shutting down the heat for the state. Thus far 70,000 Americans are without power in the south and central plains, said Weather.com. The storm is impacting over 150 million Americans, USA Today reported.

Tired of ads? Want to support our progressive journalism? Click to learn more.
The Oklahoma site "The Lost Ogle" revealed Monday that Stitt abandoned the state during its time of need to go skiing.

It was revealed Sunday when Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt and other city leaders did a Zoom call to discuss the storm, Gov. Stitt was noticeably quiet.

"Last night, an Ogle Mole sent us this photograph of a worn-out and maskless Kevin Stitt hanging with his family after a long day of skiing the slopes in beautiful Santa Fe," the site said, posting a photo of Stitt in New Mexico.

A statement from the governor's office announced, "Governor Kevin Stitt and state officials are encouraging all Oklahomans to continue to pay attention to road conditions and to conserve energy where possible due to historic demand levels."

"State and local crews are working around-the-clock to clear the roads as quickly as possible," said Gov. Stitt in the release. "Please stay home if you can to allow them to work more effectively and consider lowering your thermostat to 68 degrees or cooler and avoid using large appliances like your washer and dryer. Oklahomans take pride in helping their neighbors and we can make a big difference by taking a few small steps together."
https://www.rawstory.com/republican-gov ... snowstorm/

They state cleared the roads to the airport and the runway so he could go skiing.

My brother in Law is in Garland Tx next to Dallas and they have been without power since 9:30 am today. He said most of Garland is without power.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

sig230 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm My sister in Edinburg has been without power since 3am and the estimate is no power for several days.
Is CP&L provider for the area or someone else?
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:29 pm
sig230 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm My sister in Edinburg has been without power since 3am and the estimate is no power for several days.
Is CP&L provider for the area or someone else?
I'm not sure. It's an apartment complex so no idea who they contracted from. AEP or CP&L are the major suppliers in the area.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I hope Hiker is OK. Most of the South was hit, too. We have tornado watches/warnings in FL and GA. We dodged the ice but got the storm.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hope the power is returning in your areas or you have alternate heating and cooking sources. Saw some private power repair trucks heading east, more resources. Looks like those cold temps will be around a few days.

The power was off all day in my area because Edison is replacing power poles and power lines, prep for high winds and more fires. It's in the 50s here, not the frigid conditions like you folks have. Stay safe.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well power still out and Spectrum internet down. It's been 12 hours here so far with no estimates of when power will get restored. Connecting using my cell phone as a hot spot.

BUT coffee made and I can smell it.

Temp on porch out of the wind is 0.6C so still above freezing.

YAY!
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Greetings from a very cold Lexington Kentucky!!! My electric, internet, water, and natural gas are all working.
We had an ice storm a few days ago. Yesterday was really unusual. TV weatherman says he had never seen anything like it. We had a measurable accumulation of sleet/ice pellets. About 3 inches of it!!! That never happens here. I've never even heard of it.
Now if a car drives through 3 inches of snow, it mashes the snow down, with maybe a few flakes will fly out from the breeze of the moving car. But not 3 inches of sleet. Watching a car go up my street the sleet behaved like water. The tires produced waves just like it was driving through 3 inches of water. At first I thought it was slush. I went out and checked. No slush, just dry ice pellets. So odd!!!
Then we go freezing rain on top of it.
Now it is snowing hard and accumulating fast.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Saw that Biden signed a presidential emergency declaration, that will add federal aid to the state and local responses. Looks like you have another storm ahead today. The two largest states and we can't keep the power on, TX in the winter and CA in the summer. Rolling blackouts are better than no power, a challenging time for grid operators.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan