Re: How’s the weather

We might get a little rain but temperatures are almost spring like.
But my SIL and her family in North Logan, Utah are under heavy snow, three feet on the roof and still snowing. Snow plows are having a hard time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Still 70% chance of more snow tonight in my area. Looking outside, it reminds me of a Currier & Ives Christmas card, all the trees covered in snow. When I first moved here we got snow every winter, now it's rare. I feel for the deputies who patrol the San Bernardino Mountain resorts, that area will be full of crazy drivers, but good money for the tow truck operators. Ski resorts are open with 3-4-5 ft of snow at 7,000-8,000 ft elevation.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It is currently 44 degrees in tinseltown. It has already snowed-- briefly-- on Mulholland Drive in the eastern Hollywood Hills (pictures posted on KTLA), which has gotta be 300 feet BELOW the Hollywood sign, which is 1,588 feet. Only a tiny dusting, but dang-- snow at 1,300 feet in Los Angeles! I ride up there all the time on my eMTB.

The low temperature this weekend -- and more rain -- will be around 38 degrees on Saturday night, which will tie the lowest I've observed personally since we moved here. We can see the Hollywood sign from our backyard, and we are at roughly 700 feet, as near as I can figure from the USGS maps.

So it MIGHT actually snow at our house.

More snow last night, maybe 5-6 inches total. Supposed to be rain today and tomorrow, so the snow will become ice overnight. Still it looks pretty and we need any type of precipitation. It's cyclical, the Santa Ana winds will return and dry things out just in time for fire season.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:17 pm We got about a foot of snow. Lots of big oak limbs down all over the property. Already cleared 4 off the driveway in case we need emergency access (otherwise not going anywhere). No power so the generator is chugging along. Wood stove is keeping it a toasty 75 upstairs.

PXL_20230224_170824450_copy_2040x1536.jpg
Nice pic, looks peaceful. Big clean up job, but you'll have more firewood. Good investment on the generator. My power has stayed on but the cable went out briefly. Winds have returned here, I expect all the snow to melt by tomorrow unless we get more overnight.

With the winds yesterday and last night, all our snow is gone except at the higher elevations. Out early this morning and a new storm was rolling in, too warm to snow but it is raining. Hope a lot drops over the Colorado River.

featureless wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:17 pm We got about a foot of snow. Lots of big oak limbs down all over the property. Already cleared 4 off the driveway in case we need emergency access (otherwise not going anywhere). No power so the generator is chugging along. Wood stove is keeping it a toasty 75 upstairs.

PXL_20230224_170824450_copy_2040x1536.jpg
Wood stove is a must in any area with snow possible, unless you’re in a modern city with power lines deep underground in stable ground. Nice photo! Thanks!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

We don't have a wood stove but our large heatilator fireplace saved our butts when it got down to 18F a few years ago. The old heat pump failed miserably.
Heat pumps suck. Especially when it gets really cold.
So when it came time to replace it I got a gas furnace. Love hearing that baby light up.
Snow and rain by 5am, 11 inches of snow up on the mountains.
More snow Thursday.
Crazy winter.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

featureless wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:19 pm
sikacz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:55 pm Post a few more snow pics! Y’all stay warm!
These were both from Friday. It's all mostly gone now. May get hammered tonight again and may get not much.

PXL_20230224_165702148_copy_3060x2304.jpg

PXL_20230224_170423632_copy_2304x3060.jpg
Now that looks nice! LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.