Re: How’s the weather

Beautiful blue skies here, of course no rain. The turistas have been coming every weekend, 70s to 80s during the day and warm evenings. The turistas are good for local businesses especially coffee joints and restaurants and markets for those with short term rentals.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Last couple nights we've gotten something we haven't had for some years: tule fog. Around here we call it Yule fog because of the season, but it's been absent for maybe ten years. I think this shows we're going to get "normal" rainfall in this region. We need it to double or triple, actually. Let's see what happens. All in all very very pleasant weather in the high 60's in the day and low 50's at night--which is a bit warm for this time of year. No fires, so clear skies.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Tule fog can be very dangerous for drivers, many multiple car accidents and fatalities have happened on highways and interstates in CA. People on the coast are used to driving in fog, but inland drivers aren't and drive too fast.

Precipitation forecast looks good for Nor Cal but not So Cal.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 1_prcp.gif
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:49 am Tule fog can be very dangerous for drivers, many multiple car accidents and fatalities have happened on highways and interstates in CA. People on the coast are used to driving in fog, but inland drivers aren't and drive too fast.

Precipitation forecast looks good for Nor Cal but not So Cal.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 1_prcp.gif
Yeah, I used to freak out when I hit a fog bank when I first got there. Coming out of Dublin I would take Niles canyon to Fremont for work. It's like a wall of fog. Boom! Cars disappear in front of you. I was always afraid of going to slow.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

SATX is having stupendously wonderful weather - hi 40's in AM into mid to hi 70's PM, sunny, cloudless. :clap:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:01 pm SATX is having stupendously wonderful weather - hi 40's in AM into mid to hi 70's PM, sunny, cloudless. :clap:

Out here 40F is cold, ok so this is the desert and we're wimps. Here by 4 am it's in the 60s and high is 79F today probably 80s.

Y'all keep sipping your favorite libations. :D

highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Wino wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:01 pm SATX is having stupendously wonderful weather - hi 40's in AM into mid to hi 70's PM, sunny, cloudless. :clap:

Out here 40F is cold, ok so this is the desert and we're wimps. Here by 4 am it's in the 60s and high is 79F today probably 80s.

Thanks for screwing up my day!! LOL On anti-biotics for 8 more days, so no booze, albeit I had an "almost" Virgin Mary this morning (1/4 shot vodka) along with usual condiments and stalk of celery w/speared red radish slices. Considering I've had no alcohol since Nov. 1, it was a refreshing relief. I have 1.5 qts. of Margaritas in fridge for last two weeks and can't touch. :rant:
I'm guessing your Rh is in the teens?
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:15 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Thanks for screwing up my day!! LOL On anti-biotics for 8 more days, so no booze, albeit I had an "almost" Virgin Mary this morning (1/4 shot vodka) along with usual condiments and stalk of celery w/speared red radish slices. Considering I've had no alcohol since Nov. 1, it was a refreshing relief. I have 1.5 qts. of Margaritas in fridge for last two weeks and can't touch. :rant:
I'm guessing your Rh is in the teens?

Mea Culpa :lol: From Aug 2019 to about Apr 2021 I stopped drinking, I do it periodically. Then I said to hell with it and opened the liquor cabinet. After about the 1st week after I stopped I didn't miss it, but everyone is different. I'm sipping a G&T right now before lunch. Summer for me is G&T and Winter is Scotch and I transition someplace in between, but it's still G&Ts because it's warm here.

I'll let you enjoy your Bloody Mary's and Margarita's. I'm more G&Ts and Strawberry Daiquiris, but everyone to their own taste. Salud !

Rh ?

Wino wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:40 pm Aren't G&T's and white suits verboten after September??? LOL
I thought that was Mint Juleps and White Suits verboten after Labor Day, except when sitting on Mitch's veranda in Kentucky discussing the latest KKK GOP election strategy.
:D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

This weekend's weather was lovely, low 70s. Perfect for my 16 hour CCW class and qualifications. Spent 4 hours in class in the morning and 4 hours after lunch at the range both yesterday and today. Meet some nice people. Admitted to being a closeted liberal gun owner (hey, I jumped out of my Bolt in a sea of V8s) and the instructors (all sheriffs) had some good laughs at that. Qualified with my PCR and Shield. Did not qualify with my LCP. Not surprised since it hasn't been shot in 3 years, it's a bugger on a good day and I'm pooped. Glad that is done. Should get the official permit next week sometime.

featureless wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:14 pm This weekend's weather was lovely, low 70s. Perfect for my 16 hour CCW class and qualifications. Spent 4 hours in class in the morning and 4 hours after lunch at the range both yesterday and today. Meet some nice people. Admitted to being a closeted liberal gun owner (hey, I jumped out of my Bolt in a sea of V8s) and the instructors (all sheriffs) had some good laughs at that. Qualified with my PCR and Shield. Did not qualify with my LCP. Not surprised since it hasn't been shot in 3 years, it's a bugger on a good day and I'm pooped. Glad that is done. Should get the official permit next week sometime.
Congrats!

Looking forward to a few more nice days before a new cold front moves through. Mornings are cool, but temperatures getting to the high severities.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Yes, congrats featureless! 16 hours is a lot, hope you don't have to go through the same amount of hours every time you renew. How was the CC training in your new county compared to the CC training in your former county?

Thanks to you both. It will be nice to be able to carry again. It's funny, it took about a year to really get somewhat comfortable with it. Then covid hit and I didn't leave the house much but still carried when I did (boy was it nice when covid was first starting to be able to carry at the stores, not that anything happened). Then we moved, so I didn't renew (old permit expired a month before we moved and, in California, permits must be issued by the Sheriff of the county of your residence). So, now I've felt quite naked since then.
highdesert wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 am 16 hours is a lot, hope you don't have to go through the same amount of hours every time you renew. How was the CC training in your new county compared to the CC training in your former county?
I really have no issue with the 16 hours of training aside from it preventing much hang time with the family. Renewal is 8 hours every two years and qualifying with the up to 3 handguns you want on the permit. It was done by Sergeants with the Sheriff's Office and was quite through. All 3 of them involved are competitive/recreational shooters, so know their shit. There are always some discussions of gun laws (as you know, California's got a few!) where nobody in the room, including the instructors really knows the answer which is more telling of the needless complexity of the laws than anything. The DA and the jury are the final arbitrators... The SO does support CCW, acknowledging in the class there just aren't many LEO in the county and there are huge rural areas.

The biggest difference from my first 16 hour class was that I think it's a really good PR opportunity for the SO as it allows a lot of exposure to just how human they are as well as conveys to the SO that there are a lot of good people out there. The typical LEO encounter is not so positive for either party. If we're looking to break down stereotypes and build up "human," this is a good way to do it. My county votes to the bluish side of purple, but most of the natives lean conservative. I did make it a point to describe myself as liberal, partly to break the ice for myself (I don't look very "bubba"), and partly for the benefit of the conservatives' introduction to "there are liberals that believe in 2A, don't just munch kale, can engage in witty banter, and can shoot in the top 2/3 of the class." :)

Qualification is 10 rounds at 10 yards, 10 rounds at 5 yards, 5 rounds at contact, all in a standard FBI scoring box--not terribly difficult, but it took most people a couple of tries (you get 4 total attempts, even if you're trying to list 3 guns). I shot my Shield first and qualified first time, PCR second and qualified first time, LCP last and kept throwing a shot low, still on paper, but out of the box. I was tired, my hands were sweaty and that little fucker is slick. Regripping after every shot does not make for very confident shooting. I should have practiced more with it, but was more interested in making sure I was able to qualify with the first two. So...

And I managed a bit of a sunburn in November, so weather was great!

Let me add my congrats. Wish Texas still had some kind of law to train and prevent just any numb nuts from carrying. These days I never leave home unarmed.

Wino wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:45 am Let me add my congrats. Wish Texas still had some kind of law to train and prevent just any numb nuts from carrying. These days I never leave home unarmed.
Thank, Wino. After I pulled shot 3 of the first attempt with the LCP, I was bullshitting with one of the range volunteers--a tall version of Willie Nelson but without the pot (retired member of the SO). We were just noting that the qualifications are a good thing. With the 4 rounds of quals, it's pretty rare that someone totally fails, but it does happen. Go get some more practice and we'll see you in a few months isn't denial of a right, it's just making sure those who are licensed can hit a target. I'm a proponent of it.

featureless wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:27 am Thanks to you both. It will be nice to be able to carry again. It's funny, it took about a year to really get somewhat comfortable with it. Then covid hit and I didn't leave the house much but still carried when I did (boy was it nice when covid was first starting to be able to carry at the stores, not that anything happened). Then we moved, so I didn't renew (old permit expired a month before we moved and, in California, permits must be issued by the Sheriff of the county of your residence). So, now I've felt quite naked since then.
highdesert wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 am 16 hours is a lot, hope you don't have to go through the same amount of hours every time you renew. How was the CC training in your new county compared to the CC training in your former county?
I really have no issue with the 16 hours of training aside from it preventing much hang time with the family. Renewal is 8 hours every two years and qualifying with the up to 3 handguns you want on the permit. It was done by Sergeants with the Sheriff's Office and was quite through. All 3 of them involved are competitive/recreational shooters, so know their shit. There are always some discussions of gun laws (as you know, California's got a few!) where nobody in the room, including the instructors really knows the answer which is more telling of the needless complexity of the laws than anything. The DA and the jury are the final arbitrators... The SO does support CCW, acknowledging in the class there just aren't many LEO in the county and there are huge rural areas.

The biggest difference from my first 16 hour class was that I think it's a really good PR opportunity for the SO as it allows a lot of exposure to just how human they are as well as conveys to the SO that there are a lot of good people out there. The typical LEO encounter is not so positive for either party. If we're looking to break down stereotypes and build up "human," this is a good way to do it. My county votes to the bluish side of purple, but most of the natives lean conservative. I did make it a point to describe myself as liberal, partly to break the ice for myself (I don't look very "bubba"), and partly for the benefit of the conservatives' introduction to "there are liberals that believe in 2A, don't just munch kale, can engage in witty banter, and can shoot in the top 2/3 of the class." :)

Qualification is 10 rounds at 10 yards, 10 rounds at 5 yards, 5 rounds at contact, all in a standard FBI scoring box--not terribly difficult, but it took most people a couple of tries (you get 4 total attempts, even if you're trying to list 3 guns). I shot my Shield first and qualified first time, PCR second and qualified first time, LCP last and kept throwing a shot low, still on paper, but out of the box. I was tired, my hands were sweaty and that little fucker is slick. Regripping after every shot does not make for very confident shooting. I should have practiced more with it, but was more interested in making sure I was able to qualify with the first two. So...

And I managed a bit of a sunburn in November, so weather was great!

Sounds like a good two day experience and 8 hours for renewal isn't bad. The glass filled nylon LCP in 380 is too small and light for me, my SR9C in 9 mm is fine. In small calibers I'm much better with my 380 CZ or even the Beretta in 32. Maybe a SIG P238 or a Seecamp LWS both in 380?

There are the laws and there is their application in a shooting situation and state, county and DA are important factors. Celebration time when you get your permit!

featureless wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:55 am
Wino wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:45 am Let me add my congrats. Wish Texas still had some kind of law to train and prevent just any numb nuts from carrying. These days I never leave home unarmed.
Thank, Wino. After I pulled shot 3 of the first attempt with the LCP, I was bullshitting with one of the range volunteers--a tall version of Willie Nelson but without the pot (retired member of the SO). We were just noting that the qualifications are a good thing. With the 4 rounds of quals, it's pretty rare that someone totally fails, but it does happen. Go get some more practice and we'll see you in a few months isn't denial of a right, it's just making sure those who are licensed can hit a target. I'm a proponent of it.
I took my CHL/Range qualifications at Bass Pro Shop some years back. Here you can qualify with anything larger than .25 (.32 up - may have changed-not sure) was 8 hr. back then - about 6 hrs. class & 2 hrs. range. The dick in the right lane next to mine shot my target at least once if not more. Not sure whether he qualified or not, but was nigh impossible not to pass. No one asked why I had more holes in target than rounds fired.
Now all they need is to pass the NICS and own a gun. I sincerely doubt many, if any, bother to read the laws, discuss de-escalation of situations, know how to field strip and care for their weapon, nor the 4 rules of a loaded/unloaded gun.

:lol: Fortunately, nobody else shot my target. I took a lot of brass from the guy to my left. I passed mine on to to the guy on my right. The guy on the far left failed the first two quals by pulling low with one round each time. Hit the target square in the dick both times, though. So probably sufficient!