Sean Connery died, aged 90

The Scottish actor was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers. Sir Sean died peacefully in his sleep, while in the Bahamas, having been "unwell for some time", his son said.

His acting career spanned five decades and he won an Oscar in 1988 for his role in The Untouchables. Sir Sean's other films included The Hunt for Red October, Highlander, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Rock. Jason Connery said his father "had many of his family who could be in the Bahamas around him" when he died overnight in Nassau.

He said: "We are all working at understanding this huge event as it only happened so recently, even though my dad has been unwell for some time. "A sad day for all who knew and loved my dad and a sad loss for all people around the world who enjoyed the wonderful gift he had as an actor."
Sir Sean was a long-time supporter of Scottish independence, saying in interviews in the run-up to the 2014 referendum that he might return from his Bahamas home to live in Scotland if it voted to break away from the rest of the UK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824
Last edited by highdesert on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Sean Conniery died, aged 90

sikacz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 am My favorite Bond. Interesting his views on Scottish independence. Well, he wasn’t offended enough not to accept a knighthood or not live in a British holding.
My favorite too, suave and debonair and his deep Scottish accented voice. For decades he was a big supporter of the Scottish National Party before Scotland got devolved government and became the dominate party in Scotland. Better weather in the Bahamas than Scotland.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Sean Conniery died, aged 90

highdesert wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:19 am
sikacz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 am My favorite Bond. Interesting his views on Scottish independence. Well, he wasn’t offended enough not to accept a knighthood or not live in a British holding.
My favorite too, suave and debonair and his deep Scottish accented voice. For decades he was a big supporter of the Scottish National Party before Scotland got devolved government and became the dominate party in Scotland. Better weather in the Bahamas than Scotland.
No doubt. Warm weather is one reason I like Texas over Finland, LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Sean Connery died, aged 90

Born a working class kid who had to drop out of school to support himself. He worked as a bricklayer, truck driver, and coffin polisher. He educated himself and took elocution lessons to tame his thick Scottish accent.

The tough guy persona was not an act. From the BBC:
“... he was alongside Lana Turner - proper Tinsel Town royalty - in the film Another Time, Another Place. Her boyfriend, the mobster Johnny Stompanato, reacted badly to rumours of a romance.
He stormed on set and pulled out a gun. Connery grabbed it from his hand and overpowered him, before others stepped in and kicked him off set.”

Rest In Peace. You earned it.

I'll make a Connery point at the end, eh.

We make sense from what we see based on what we've already seen.

Bond, James Bond. Yeah, the best one, for sure. All those flicks in the adolescent brain.

But all the other flicks, the interviews and clips, it was his voice. As he aged and played parts, his voice was there the whole time. His voice for me indicated some kind of archetype--not necessarily something to be emulated, but something very clear and ancient and resonant. His movies, yeah, action flicks, The Man Who Would Be King and so on. All those roles rolled into an archetype conspired to give me the one moment in any of his films when I lost it in the theater--luckily dark. It was in Costner's Robin Hood flick when we saw who King Richard was and everyone dropped to a knee, the walk-on part that saved that mediocre flick.

RIP

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Unfortunately the bond movies were typical of the era with sexist misogyny as a prime element. It is an element all too typical of the genre and period. His voice did carry him well as he aged, added character.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:27 am Born a working class kid who had to drop out of school to support himself. He worked as a bricklayer, truck driver, and coffin polisher. He educated himself and took elocution lessons to tame his thick Scottish accent.

The tough guy persona was not an act. From the BBC:
“... he was alongside Lana Turner - proper Tinsel Town royalty - in the film Another Time, Another Place. Her boyfriend, the mobster Johnny Stompanato, reacted badly to rumours of a romance.
He stormed on set and pulled out a gun. Connery grabbed it from his hand and overpowered him, before others stepped in and kicked him off set.”

Rest In Peace. You earned it.
:love:

Appreciation and remembrance. RIP Mr. Connery.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bucolic wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 pm Loved his Bond but his role in the Untouchables was astonishing.

RIP, Sir Sean. I’ll go polish the Aston Martin while thinking of you.
That’s classy! LoL. I’ll just have to watch a few DVD’s tonight. LoL.

The first Connery film that really impressed me was "High Noon In Space", aka, "Outland". He was a marshal but he was not the cool, untouchable Bond, but a determined husband and father scared shitless and he conveyed it far better than Gary Cooper ever did.
Then there were "The Name of The Rose" that won him BAFTA's best actor and the travesty that he wasn't even nominated for the Oscar.
I guess because he won it for his great performance in "The Untouchables".
And, of course, who didn't just love him as the crusty, inept Dr. Henry Jones Sr in "The Last Crusade"...."And then I remembered my Charlamagne..."
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:21 pm The first Connery film that really impressed me was "High Noon In Space", aka, "Outland". He was a marshal but he was not the cool, untouchable Bond, but a determined husband and father scared shitless and he conveyed it far better than Gary Cooper ever did.

Then there were "The Name of The Rose" that won him BAFTA's best actor and the travesty that he wasn't even nominated for the Oscar. I guess because he won it for his great performance in "The Untouchables".

And, of course, who didn't just love him as the crusty, inept Dr. Henry Jones Sr in "The Last Crusade"...."And then I remembered my Charlamagne..."
Yes, "The Name of the Rose" from the book by Umberto Eco was a classic, with F Murray Abraham, Michael Lonsdale and of course Christian Slater. Connery played a monastic detective, much like the series "Cadfael". And I agree about "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", typical Indiana Jones but Connery added a comedic side.

There is a story out today saying his wife revealed that Sir Sean had dementia. His son said he had been ill for a long time, but didn't give any medical information. 25-50% of those over 85 years old often have it.