Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:44 pm Damn sunrise, that's a lot. I'd be masked up too.
I have no idea why my wife has had covid twice and I didn't catch it. We had been doing the normal stuff. She's snoring in my face,kissing showering driving together. Unexplainable.
In 2020 I found out I had Hep C.
Went on an antiviral that's used I think in conjunction with another antiviral to combat covid.
Prior to any covid vaccine I got the new shingles vax even though I had the previous single dose one. I had also been given the tetanus shot and pneumonia vax all at the same time. Huge speckled rash all over my body for six months.
When I finished my Hep C treatment and was free of the virus my rash disappeared.
Booth the covid vaxs and boosters really made me sick for a couple days not so much the bivalent.
But I've been seriously exposed to covid several times and have never gotten sick. Or tested positive.
One caveat is in January 2020 I got sick before covid symptoms were well known. Thought it was flu, coughed up blood and serious headache cold like symptoms.
I think I had covid because since then I can't taste shit.
I do suffer from what seems like sinus allergy like problems since then quite often. Sudafed is my friend.
The wife's been hacking away with cold like symptoms for days but does not test positive for covid any longer. I guess that's the Paxlovid working. No fever.
Stay safe.
It's just baffling, isn't it? Women do get it worse than men-- a bit, it seems, though I know one couple that had the original version and the guy nearly died and his wife didn't get it at all!

I think your assumptions are reasonable. I think it was circulating in the US even in December-- San Francisco mainly, if memory serves. And coughing blood, that's something I heard. A friend of mine got it in Rome-- idiot, he went to Rome! And he and his kid were hacking blood.

I am SO glad I played a show back east in 2020, and saw my east coast friends, before we all got sent to hell in March.

Glad you pulled through, glad your wife is on the mend! What I hear over and over again with Omicron-- if you get symptoms, and not everyone does-- that the test never lines up with the symptoms easing. I bet it's on the way out for her. The thing I heard over and over again from my young adult clients: The ones who partied and the ones who went back to sports too soon were usually the ones who rebounded. Some older folks, we'll rebound for no reason, too, Paxlovid or not.

sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:57 am Anyone read the last WSJ on the origin of Covid? Ran across a reference in another forum and wondering what it actually said. Not that the origin in my mind makes any difference at this point.
Hat tip sika! The WSJ article.
The U.S. Energy Department has concluded that the Covid pandemic most likely arose from a laboratory leak, according to a classified intelligence report recently provided to the White House and key members of Congress. The shift by the Energy Department, which previously was undecided on how the virus emerged, is noted in an update to a 2021 document by Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines’s office.

The new report highlights how different parts of the intelligence community have arrived at disparate judgments about the pandemic’s origin. The Energy Department now joins the Federal Bureau of Investigation in saying the virus likely spread via a mishap at a Chinese laboratory. Four other agencies, along with a national intelligence panel, still judge that it was likely the result of a natural transmission, and two are undecided. The Energy Department’s conclusion is the result of new intelligence and is significant because the agency has considerable scientific expertise and oversees a network of U.S. national laboratories, some of which conduct advanced biological research.
The FBI previously came to the conclusion that the pandemic was likely the result of a lab leak in 2021 with “moderate confidence” and still holds to this view.
https://archive.ph/QV0Tb#selection-281.11-311.250

I posted much earlier that the scientific community was divided, they didn't agree with WHO which we now know has been strongly influenced by Communist China.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It’s not like there was no suspicion about the origin, we discussed it in depth here. It’s a revelation a bit late in the game, what action would or could arise at this point. Not much. Only way we would have really benefited from an admission from China if it came right when it happened and all world borders would have been universally closed to China. Perhaps we could have contained it. I remember posting about how quickly the Chinese set up those field hospitals and my comment from the construction staging we saw was no way was it just started a few weeks ago. There were signs all along, but frankly by the time the world was told it was pretty much a done deal.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The US Department of Energy has assessed that the Covid-19 pandemic most likely came from a laboratory leak in China, according to a newly updated classified intelligence report. Two sources said that the Department of Energy assessed in the intelligence report that it had “low confidence” the Covid-19 virus accidentally escaped from a lab in Wuhan. Intelligence agencies can make assessments with either low, medium or high confidence. A low confidence assessment generally means that the information obtained is not reliable enough or too fragmented to make a more definitive analytic judgment or that there is not enough information available to draw a more robust conclusion.
The Department of Energy’s Office of Intelligence and Counterintelligence is one of 18 government agencies that make up the intelligence community, which are under the umbrella of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/26/politics ... index.html

In addition to the Energy Department, the F.B.I. has also concluded, with moderate confidence, that the virus first emerged accidentally from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a Chinese lab that worked on coronaviruses. Four other intelligence agencies and the National Intelligence Council have concluded, with low confidence, that the virus most likely emerged through natural transmission, the director of national intelligence’s office announced in October 2021.
Leaders of the intelligence community are set to brief Congress on March 8 and 9 as part of annual hearings on global threats. Avril D. Haines, the director of national intelligence, and other senior officials would most likely be asked about the continuing inquiry into the virus’s origins. How the pandemic began has become a divisive line of intelligence reporting, and recent congressional reports have not been bipartisan.

Many Democrats have not been persuaded by the lab leak hypothesis, with some saying they believe the natural causes explanation and others saying they are not certain that enough intelligence will emerge to draw a conclusion. But many Republicans on Capitol Hill have said they believe the virus could have come from one of China’s research labs in Wuhan. A congressional subcommittee, created when Republicans took over the House in January, has made examining the lab leak theory a central focus of its work. It is expected to convene the first of a series of hearings in March.
The March 2021 report by the W.H.O. said it was “extremely unlikely” that the virus emerged accidentally from a lab. But China appointed half the scientists who wrote the report and exerted major control over it. American officials have been largely dismissive of that work.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/26/us/p ... demic.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Does any of it matter when your President says there's no reason to worry?

When your President lies to you and had known it for at least a month?

When your President says that masks don't matter?

When your President ignores warnings from the CDC and tries to shut them down?

Does any of it matter when the powers that be destroy a billion N95 masks because the expiration date had passed?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:30 pm Does any of it matter when your President says there's no reason to worry?

When your President lies to you and had known it for at least a month?

When your President says that masks don't matter?

When your President ignores warnings from the CDC and tries to shut them down?

Does any of it matter when the powers that be destroy a billion N95 masks because the expiration date had passed?
Sounds like an ode to donny the dick !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Without China's cooperation we won't get a definitive answer. The current communists running China will never allow foreigners in to investigate. Chinese officials hosed the open market and bleached the area destroying any evidence and they blocked access to the caves where the suspected bats came from. They've blocked attempts at getting information from the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Decades from now if communism falls in China like it did in Russia and Eastern Europe, then maybe the true story will come out.

The House on Friday voted 419 to 0 to pass a bill requiring the Biden administration to declassify intelligence related to potential links between the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China and the Covid-19 pandemic. Sponsored by Sens. Josh Hawley (R., Mo.) and Mike Braun (R., Ind.), the COVID Origins Act of 2023 passed the Senate by unanimous consent last week. It now heads to President Biden’s desk for his signature. The White House hasn’t issued a formal position on the bill.
If the bill that passed the House Friday is signed into law, the Director of National Intelligence would have 90 days to declassify the information about the lab’s research and activities related to the Covid-19 outbreak, including details about any researchers who fell ill in the fall of 2019. The legislation allows the director to make redactions “necessary to protect sources and methods.”
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/house- ... s-96a1d1c0
https://archive.fo/j1NZG

Wino wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:17 pm Got my 6th Pfizer CV19 shot this morning - BV booster. So far no reaction or soreness.
Got my first Shingrex shot Thursday and my arm is still really sore today; five days latter.

But I've had shingles and I can assure you the shot is far less painful.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:22 pm
Wino wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:17 pm Got my 6th Pfizer CV19 shot this morning - BV booster. So far no reaction or soreness.
Got my first Shingrex shot Thursday and my arm is still really sore today; five days latter.

Year before last I got Shingrex and flu shot same day separate arm - won't be making that mistake, again !! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:29 pm
sig230 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:22 pm

Year before last I got Shingrex and flu shot same day separate arm - won't be making that mistake, again !! LOL
I have a close relative and have had coworkers who had shingles and they talked about the pain. Vaccines are much much better. Years ago I got the original vaccine Zostavax which was given subcutaneous, the Shingrix was more painful and was given intramuscular. However for me the two pneumonia vaccines were much more painful.

Congrats on your 5th vaccine Wino, the mRNA vaccines have been really amazing.

Interesting. I had one of the two Shingrix shots, and had systemic side effects as well-- fever for about 36 hours-- with moderate pain.

I would say my first two bouts of shingles were more painful than the first Shingrix shot.

My third round of shingles -- years before the 1st Shingrix shot -- was not nearly as bad as the 1st Shingrix shot.

I would rank them, roughly, like this;

WORST: First Shingles, 1998 or so, thought I was gonna die.

SECOND WORST: Second round of shingles, 2002 or so. Kept me out of work for 1 day, worked the second day, but left a couple of hours early.

THIRD WORST: Shingles shot, 2018. Ruined 36 hours of vacation, but not quite as bad as my second outbreak.

FOURTH WORST: Third round of Shingles, 2006 or so. Barely slowed me down, almost didn't even see the doc.

I elected not to have the second Shingrix shot. I also had the reaction some people describe after the covid vaccine, which was just feeling generally not in great health for about six months after the 1st Shingrix shot.

Get ready for the next vaccine for us oldsters.
The US Food and Drug Administration has approved a vaccine against respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) - an illness that kills thousands of Americans each year. The vaccine still needs approval from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention before it can be rolled out to the public. Officials say the vaccine, named Arexvy by the manufacturer GSK, is a major breakthrough that will save many lives. It could be available to people over 60 within months, officials say.

"Today's approval of the first RSV vaccine is an important public health achievement to prevent a disease which can be life-threatening," said Dr Peter Marks, who leads the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). RSV is a respiratory illness that typically results in cold-like symptoms for adults, but can be dangerous for young children, the elderly, and those with underlying health conditions. On average, it kills 100-300 children under the age of 5 in the US every year, according to the CDC. It also kills about 6,000 to 10,000 adults over 65 annually, and causes between 60,000 to 120,000 hospital admissions.

In severe cases it can cause bronchiolitis, which includes a build-up of inflammation in the lungs and trouble in breathing. The drug was over 60 years in the making, and is the first to win approval to prevent RSV anywhere in the world. A study by GSK, a UK-based firm, which was published in February found a vaccine efficacy of 82.6%. Side effects were mostly "mild or moderate" and ended within two days. The most common are pain around the injection site or fatigue.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65477747

At roughly $120. per shot it will likely be paid for by private insurance and Medicare. When I had the Zostavax vaccine it was $300. then and private insurance paid for it no questions asked.

There is competition between RSV vaccines.
The approval sets the stage for a potential battle between pharmaceutical giants seeking to dominate a multibillion-dollar RSV market. Pharmaceutical company Moderna also has a candidate RSV vaccine but is further behind.

A decision on Pfizer’s RSV vaccine for older adults is expected at the end of May. That vaccine, Abrysvo, got a less favorable endorsement from FDA advisers, with a 7-4 vote that it was safe and effective. Advisers’ safety concerns focused again on the rare risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome. Two 66-year-old participants, one man and one woman, developed symptoms shortly after vaccination. If Pfizer’s vaccine is approved, the FDA intends to seek a post-marketing safety study.

With an eye toward enhancing protection against the coronavirus, which is still evolving and circulating, federal health advisors said Thursday that the next round of COVID-19 vaccines should be updated to target one of the XBB strains currently dominating the viral landscape. The unanimous recommendation from the Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisory committee follows that of agency staff, who in a memo acknowledged that while older vaccine formulas can still help stave off severe disease, “protection wanes with time and is reduced against subsequent waves of variant viruses.” It also sets the stage for the next phase in the nation’s years-long inoculation campaign, an effort that’s been widely credited with helping end the pandemic emergency, even as public interest in additional shots continues to wane.
The committee’s recommendations are not binding, though the FDA typically follows the advice. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also is expected to weigh in on the matter, with its Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices scheduled to discuss COVID-19 vaccines on June 23. Eligibility and timing of any newer-recipe vaccines are yet to be officially determined. In a recorded audio statement, Dr. Peter Marks, the FDA’s vaccine chief, said the agency will “make a decision quickly” with the goal to have the updated vaccine available by September. Data suggest that using the latest dominant coronavirus strain that more closely matches current circulating Omicron sublineages “is warranted for the 2023-2024 vaccination campaign,” according to FDA staff. “I think that we need a better vaccine. We should be updating it, and I think it’s pretty straightforward,” said Dr. Eric Rubin, a committee member and infectious disease expert at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Some experts and officials have hypothesized that the cadence of COVID vaccinations will eventually mirror that of flu: one shot updated and administered annually. But it’s unclear whether that time has arrived.
Given patterns over the last year, the coronavirus has been evolving more incrementally, Chin-Hong said. So he said picking a vaccine formula based on a current dominant subvariant is likely to still be helpful heading into the fall and winter, when some officials and experts expect a degree of resurgence. The updated vaccine, the FDA panel agreed, should be a “monovalent” shot focused on XBB. Future iterations of the vaccines need not protect against the ancestral strain, scientists say. A World Health Organization technical advisory group said in May there is no longer a need for that since the original version of the coronavirus that emerged in late 2019 in Wuhan, China, is essentially extinct. Committee members on Thursday appeared supportive of updating vaccines specifically to target XBB.1.5. In the U.S., XBB.1.5 made up the majority of circulating virus in the early spring but now is estimated to constitute about 40% of specimens, CDC figures show. The upstart XBB.1.16 is gaining ground and is now estimated to make up 18% of cases nationwide.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ittee-says
https://archive.fo/IOaWj