Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

In just over a month since a new COVID variant known as BQ.1 was first named, that strain and a descendant called BQ.1.1 have already grown to make up more than 10% of new infections across the country, according to updated estimates published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "When you get variants like that, you look at what their rate of increase is as a relative proportion of the variants, and this has a pretty troublesome doubling time," Dr. Anthony Fauci, the president's chief medical adviser, said in an interview with CBS News. It comes as federal health authorities have been bracing for a widely-expected resurgence of COVID-19 this fall and winter. BQ.1 variants have already outpaced many rival strains in European nations from England to Germany, which have already seen renewed waves begin.
BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 each currently make up an estimated 5.7% of infections around the country, the agency said. The remainder of BA.5, which had dominated a wave of cases over the summer, has shrunk to 67.9% of circulating variants. "While BQ.1 and BQ.1.1. represent a small but fast-growing subset of the Omicron variant, BA.5 remains the dominant lineage in the United States," CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said in a statement. BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 also appear on track to overtake the only other strain that still outnumbers them: BA.4.6, which currently makes up 12.2% of infections.
More than 14.7 million Americans have so far gotten an updated COVID booster, which includes a component aimed at the BQ.1's parent BA.5. That works out to around 7% of the 209 million who were initially eligible for the shots when they were first greenlighted last month. However, after accelerating in the wake of the initial booster rollout, figures published late Thursday by the CDC show the daily pace of new COVID shots is now slowing.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vari ... estimates/

Hot spots for this variant in the US are New York and New Jersey. Forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes.

Wonder if we'll get another booster in March 2023, like we did in March of this year a six month interval.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:02 pm Got annual super duper flu shot this morning. When I got home, mail-in ballot in mail box. Completed and will hand carry to post office Monday. Fuck DeJoy !!
Four hours after this shot yesterday my arm hurt like hell and I was achy all over and felt blah. All hunky dory this morn.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Just talked to oldest daughter - she has break thru covid. Fever, congestion, achy. She and husband got booster Friday at Wally - Pfizer as no Moderna like their earlier shots. Hubby OK and off on month long business trip. I woke this morning with nausea and guts in uproar and still feel like crap. No fever and no more achy than usual. Running an out of date covid test and awaiting results.

Test: Negative
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:42 pm Got my booster today along with a flu shot. I still wear a mask in stores and stuff, but almost no one else does. Our numbers in Butte County, CA are quite low.

CDFingers
:clap2: Two vaccines in one day, you guys are braver than I am. Cases are also low in my county, but the experts are still expecting a surge as we get farther into Fall and then Winter months. People indoors with central heating and unmasked, incubating both COVID and flu viruses. Add to that children who are walking incubators and a surge is very possible.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Day two injection sites are a tad sore, but no other symptoms. I've had so many I now have two vax cards. Dang. Gonna have to get a bigger wallet or something. Maybe I'll stop carrying all that cash. Twenty bucks in ones takes up a lot of space--it's all I'm allowed to take out the house. She knows me too well.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

In CA you can get a digial record of COVID vaccines from the state DPH to keep on your mobile and/or computer which comes with a QR code for scanning. All vaccines have to be entered into the state vaccination database and that's where they draw from. An alternative is to take pictures of each card and put it in your pictures folder on your mobile, I also have two cards now.
https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov

The wife just tested for covid for the second time, two different tests.
What is weird is I had the sniffles while in Flagstaff on Saturday last weekend, nose just running like a faucet for 12 hours. Now she sounds just like I did. I did two tests and came out negative twice.
Whats really F'd up is my son and his wife ( along with my two grandchildren) thought it would be a grand idea to do the Polar Express train in Flagstaff. Your packed in a train with a hundred kids and their parents and no one was masked up. So I prolly infected everyone if i had covid.
I'm not sure covid can just disappear from my body in three/four days and not show up on a test.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Sorry your wife has COVID, TNG, hope she recovers quickly.

We're slowly getting another surge, LA County is on the verge of requiring indoor masking, which the feds are recommending. LA County has seen an increase in hospitalizations and deaths among the elderly, the most vulnerable due to COVID. I never stopped masking when I'm in stores or the post office, I'm in that vulnerable age range and I also have asthma. Make sure everyone has had flu shots too, part of the surge is not only COVID but flu and RSV. According to reports this years flu shot is more accurate for strains in circulation than past years.

You and your family stay safe !

Lots of break thru covid in my area. Some people repeatedly. Cross street neighbor fighting for last two weeks as have her parents and brothers family.; my oldest daughter; brother/wife. Most because they have let their guard down, quit masking and gone back to 2019 normal. All fully vaxxed.
I still mask, but few others do. Even medical offices have gone back to pre covid - I'm the only one masked.

Yeah thanks Highdesert. I kept saying, this is a bad idea. And on the train everyone is singing Christmas Carols! LOL
Had I bailed out I would have certainly excommunicated from the family I'm sure of it. Even the other grand parents were there. Not a mask in sight.
So yeah this is a really bad idea considering all the sickness going around.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Medical offices and hospitals in my area still require masks. If you're not wearing one, they'll give you one, those who refuse are required to leave the facility.

TNG I'd really like to take that Polar Express ride, but I'd do it masked. I like Flagstaff but it is 7000-8000 feet high, so not a quick day trip during the winter.

Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:58 pm Sounds romantic, like the Siberian Express.
Yes quite so! You also get hijacked by outlaws that ride up on horses and board the train. Hide yer wallet.
Actually there are a couple railroads that offer scenic type cruises. Someday I plan to do another one.

The wife is on anti-viral her doc prescribed. It's hard on the kidneys that say. I'm still negative and bullet proof it seems.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:09 am
Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:58 pm Sounds romantic, like the Siberian Express.
Yes quite so! You also get hijacked by outlaws that ride up on horses and board the train. Hide yer wallet.
Actually there are a couple railroads that offer scenic type cruises. Someday I plan to do another one.

The wife is on anti-viral her doc prescribed. It's hard on the kidneys that say. I'm still negative and bullet proof it seems.
I wish her well TNG, sounds like she's on Paxlovid. Rebound is also something to be aware of with that drug. Still it seems to be the best anti-COVID drug out there according to Fauci.

The Polar Express reminded me of the Orient Express which had a famous murder, at least according to Agatha Christie. :)

I picked up my freebies from Wally last month and ordered these thru USPS yesterday. Even with extended "use by" dates, the ones I have from previous orders end this month - box said June 2022 and extended to 12/22 per web site. I'm kinda sorta in hibernation as covid has erupted in neighborhood and family with break thru cases.

Wino wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:25 am I picked up my freebies from Wally last month and ordered these thru USPS yesterday. Even with extended "use by" dates, the ones I have from previous orders end this month - box said June 2022 and extended to 12/22 per web site. I'm kinda sorta in hibernation as covid has erupted in neighborhood and family with break thru cases.
Stay safe Wino ! The fact that the feds are sending out free COVID test kits again, leads me to believe they're worried about another surge this winter. We had surges in winter 2020 and 2021 and now we have the convergence of COVID, Flu and RSV and post Thanksgiving and Christmas is when we've seen an increase in cases. China eased their restrictions due to protests and their COVID cases have increased, they are now pushing vaccines and telling their hospitals to be prepared for more patients. We're still in the most vulnerable age category and we have to protect ourselves.

My approach to "The 19" (as the surfers call it) is a bit unusual. On paper, at least, I'm high risk because I have an obscure connective tissue disorder (pericarditis + 2 blood clots, among other symptoms). However, I've also had some terrible and weird vaccine and drug reactions-- the first shingles vaccine ruined a vacation (was worse than one of my three cases of actual Shingles, though no rash), I test TB positive even though I don't have TB, and I got so sick from the IV antibiotics I took for diverticulitis in double-20 that my dog thought I was gonna die.

So I had two shots in 2021 before playing a show back east... minimal reaction, just injection site + a few aches and pains. Then had the third shot last year, right around this time of year, and I got medium-sick... no fever, but sore throat and runny nose-- for months. I was convinced I had a vaccine reaction... but when I compared my symptoms to my buddies (laryngitis for eight weeks with loss of the highest octave of my singing voice) two of them were like, "Yeah, I had that, and tested positive for Covid." Just for shits and giggles, about three weeks after shot #3, I asked my GP for a test that would measure whether the vaccine was effective for me, and the result was: I produced zero COVID antibodies, the shot did nothing... again, at least on paper. Though I probably picked up some B and T cell immunity that's harder to measure.

For work, the answer was simple: 2.5 days a week, I work online only. I go into the office 1.5 days per week, and see my psychotherapy clients briefly wearing a half-face medical-grade Darth Vader style reusable respirator, and with them wearing masks, indoors for 10 minutes. I then lock up my laptop in an aluminum briefcase, chain it to my desk, and walk and talk with them for the remaining 40 minutes of the appointment outdoors, removing masks when we are clear of other people, and staying 10 feet apart, being careful to maintain the wind at a 90-degree angle. I also have gone back east twice to play live shows-- I mask for rehearsal-- for HOURS-- but not on stage, which is outdoors. This year, I masked in the audience when it got crowded. No one else did.

Perhaps the strangest thing about all this: No one at the campus where I work-- not students, professors, or deans-- thinks this is the least bit strange. No one cares, no one treats me differently. In rehearsal, none of the other musicians treated me differently for masking, which was cool, because two of the guest players were pretty serious local blues guys.

I always mask indoors. Every time, no fuckups-- I think of it like checking to make sure the gun is unloaded before cleaning it, checking the air pressure in a scuba tank, checking the binding release on skis, etc. I even mask at my outdoor AA meeting when it's crowded. If I have a good crosswind and I've got enough distance, I'll take it off, but if it's 30 people crowded around a fire, I keep it on.

About a month ago, my wife gets sick as a dog. We isolate in the house, I sleep in the office with the dogs, but I was exposed to her for a while before her symptoms got bad. She tests negative three times, I test negative twice. Okay, so, I guess she had the flu or something, right?

Except this week she tells me her sense of smell is now jacked up. Not gone, just diminished and kind of weird. Which can happen with colds sometimes, but has never happened to her.

I have no idea what to do next. My theory is that I may be at some risk from the vaccine, but that risk is likely to be low so long as my immune system is not being hammered repeatedly by many different kinds of insults, but that's wild speculation. I think I'm going to get the bivalent booster over the winter break. We're invited to Christmas with friends and their family, but I think I'll have to pass. Sucks.

Probably, when I'm dying at 93 years old of some other damn thing, they'll tell me, 'Oh, we just figured out you're totally immune to Covid.'

I am glad you guys are taking the virus seriously. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy over the holidays!

And I've taken that Polar Express and really enjoyed it!

The holdup by the train robbers is really fun, and the actors were very good. One of them grabbed my wife's straw hat, gave her a wicked grin and said, "My mule is going to enjoy making a snack of this, lady."

Damn sunrise, that's a lot. I'd be masked up too.
I have no idea why my wife has had covid twice and I didn't catch it. We had been doing the normal stuff. She's snoring in my face,kissing showering driving together. Unexplainable.
In 2020 I found out I had Hep C.
Went on an antiviral that's used I think in conjunction with another antiviral to combat covid.
Prior to any covid vaccine I got the new shingles vax even though I had the previous single dose one. I had also been given the tetanus shot and pneumonia vax all at the same time. Huge speckled rash all over my body for six months.
When I finished my Hep C treatment and was free of the virus my rash disappeared.
Booth the covid vaxs and boosters really made me sick for a couple days not so much the bivalent.
But I've been seriously exposed to covid several times and have never gotten sick. Or tested positive.
One caveat is in January 2020 I got sick before covid symptoms were well known. Thought it was flu, coughed up blood and serious headache cold like symptoms.
I think I had covid because since then I can't taste shit.
I do suffer from what seems like sinus allergy like problems since then quite often. Sudafed is my friend.
The wife's been hacking away with cold like symptoms for days but does not test positive for covid any longer. I guess that's the Paxlovid working. No fever.
Stay safe.