Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

I would be curious about opening up a second poll: for those who carry, where on your person do you carry (e.g. AIWB, IWB 4 o'clock, IWB 6 o'clock, ankle, shoulder, pocket, open, other.)

I am mainly comfortable with 4 o'clock (but more like 5 actually) but have started playing around with AIWB...so far only around my house, unloaded. I have a good holster, external safety on my carry gun, but still can't shake the thought of that thing pointed right at my femoral artery all day. I have practiced dry firing from AIWB to simulate carrying with an empty chamber and that motion is much more smooth than doing that same thing from 4 o'clock. So empty chamber AIWB? Get over it? Stick with 4 o'clock? Still deciding which feels most right. I don't think I will ever embrace shoulder, ankle or pocket.

Just curious about others, and why they do what they do (although I realize the question is age-old)

keenanmj85 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:52 am I would be curious about opening up a second poll: for those who carry, where on your person do you carry (e.g. AIWB, IWB 4 o'clock, IWB 6 o'clock, ankle, shoulder, pocket, open, other.)

I am mainly comfortable with 4 o'clock (but more like 5 actually) but have started playing around with AIWB...so far only around my house, unloaded. I have a good holster, external safety on my carry gun, but still can't shake the thought of that thing pointed right at my femoral artery all day. I have practiced dry firing from AIWB to simulate carrying with an empty chamber and that motion is much more smooth than doing that same thing from 4 o'clock. So empty chamber AIWB? Get over it? Stick with 4 o'clock? Still deciding which feels most right. I don't think I will ever embrace shoulder, ankle or pocket.

Just curious about others, and why they do what they do (although I realize the question is age-old)
Pocket at all times.

Then either OWB or shoulder. Never much worried because I was openly carrying and honestly, it's never been an issue. The vast majority of other folk seem totally oblivious to everything going on around them anyway.

I have lots of IWB holsters but have never found one that was bearable much less comfortable. They live in the 'Box of Shame'.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

OWB leather between 3 & 5 depending on which EDC (Slim 3/ full size 5), carried condition 1 with safety on, two spare mags on offhand side. Concealed under untucked shirt/jacket/vest/pullover. Gave up on IWB as inconvenient and uncomfortable; ankle was bullshit stupid; openly use shoulder or bandolero in field some, but mostly belt holster. Never pocket nor appendix (ur femoral reason and uncomfortable as hell) or MOB. I have boxes of holsters, none of the IWB used in years. Do have some of the 501 undergarment holster shirts, but not good for Texas heat and tough on rib cage - plus getting into and off - glad no one around to google that exercise. LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I carry at all times everywhere I'm legal to carry (except in my house) every day. I pocket carry a .380 in my sleepy little village, a single stack 9mm or .45 IWB at 4 o'clock in the bigger nearby towns. I don't carry extra mags for any of them. 7-9 rounds of anything is enough for SD purposes imo.

Flip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:39 am I don't carry extra mags for any of them. 7-9 rounds of anything is enough for SD purposes imo.
I'm in the same boat. Having a gun on my belt is enough without significantly changing what I wear and I figure if I do find myself in a situation requiring mag changes there is going to be a significantly different plan going through my head than change the mag and stick around to continue to engage...but also just my humble opinion and what works best for me.

Shield 9 AIWB not chambered, no extra mag is my typical. These days, I carry every time I leave the house. If I don't have time to chamber, I shouldn't be drawing in the first place, there are other options.

If I'm traveling, I'll bring a couple extra mags and generally a full size firearm, off body.

As of last week, I pocket carry an LCP in the house during the day and a full size comes out of the safe and to bed at night. Any firearm not under my direct control resides in a safe.

I carry every day. I've tried Appendix carry, but can't do it. Haven't found a holster that's comfortable enough. I do appendix carry when in scrubs or if I'm just running out. I bought a universal holder from Versacarry that works well for that. I typically carry at 4:30 position, IWB. I own an alien gear IWB which is comfortable but lately have been using a Versacarry Orion (?) I think it's called. Very basic, minimal which makes it comfortable. I'm not home or I'd post pictures. I carry an MP2 9mm compact. Sometimes I wear an extra mag, but always have it in the car with me. I also carry a knife lately too. My pistol has 15+1 capacity, so I think 16 rounds is good for my needs. The gun is perfect for me size-wise, and probably the largest gun I would carry.

As a LEO I carried a P239 or my P229 duty weapon at the 4 o'clock, did both OWB and IWB depending on what I was wearing. Didn't often carry an extra mag, or just threw one in my pocket. These days I run a Glock 48 in a Legacy AIWB or some kydex OWB thing that rides high at the 3 o'clock. Extra mag in a NeoMag clip. Always a round in the chamber. I know some folks have trained to be able to chamber a round as they draw (here's lookin' at you, Israelis), but after that much professional training without having to rack the slide when drawing, I know I'm never going to develop that instinct.

no, but...
day before yesterday the lady and i were in wal-mart and were accosted for no reason by 5 teenagers, i'm guessing 18-16. we're both 65+. all white, no masks, one the obvious leader, rangy-lean, scraggly goatee, likely my height (6'1"), likely 30 lbs lighter. no weapons visible, but he looked like the type who would carry a blade. posturing for the younger kids i reckon, they went away after a 40-ish ex-jarhead came up.
from their commentary they've done it before in other stores.
if i'd have been carrying... i don't know. pretty sure i'd have shot him if he's pressed an attack instead of just getting in my face, strutting and waving his arms. don't want to go there.
so today i bought us each a can of pepper spray to put on our keyrings. and i wonder about the rules about that, is it brandishing to display it?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

State laws vary. Not sure that brandishing is possible for a non-lethal deterrent.

Absolutely should've contacted Walmart's security peeps after the incident and reported it. They should have video. They might be able to ID them. Someone on staff might well know 'em. If there are future incidents on their property, there's liability to consider.

It's not that a lifetime ban would be easy to enforce, so much as if they were ever apprehended making trouble on store property again, there's documentation of priors.

Always - I work from home 99%.

While I don’t like to traffic in the same type of fear as the right-wingers, I have a very diverse family in a deep red area surrounded by racist Trumpers, so we take our physical security posture seriously. I also have security cameras and 2 Schnauzers. I’m not paranoid, but I stay vigilant. My wife is very active locally for BLM, and poverty issues etc. so we have a giant target for the worse types.

The people across the road are the worst type Of die hard, gross, fascists (still flying a TRUMP 2020 flag - no American flag) and tried to dox my adopted daughters on Facebook - a very unsafe practice considering they were removed from their bio family for abuse, starvation, neglect and medical neglect. The events of last year has made people like this lose their minds and be overtly disgusting rather than hide it behind a thin veneer.

I do however, remain cordial with the neighbors on the other sides of my property - so it’s a single threat axis.

In the rare occasions I need to physically travel into work, we are allowed to keep our handgun unloaded in our car. Supposedly, we are staying in the same telework posture post COVID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well....change 1000...I USUALLY have a weapon close at hand or am carrying my 239(9mm) and usually carry at the 4:00 position. AIWB just plain scares me. No real reason just don’t like to think of a loaded weapon pointed where a bullet could and would do some horrendous damage. Chances of it happening...slim to none. Just not for me.
As far as a shoulder holster goes; I use one occasionally. Mostly on long drives on the logging roads around where I live...just more comfortable. If I stop at the gas station or store and happen to be wearing it, I don’t worry about the muzzle pointing back...as long as the weapon is holstered, snapped in place and my hand not any where close to it...ain’t going to make a boom. If I was using a cheap rig different story or if I hadn’t used one on deployment might be different too.
Long story short...OWB mostly for woods and town carry and shoulder for driving and quick in and out stops while on the road.
I also use a Serpa for hiking around with my 229. Great for damp/wet/snowy/rainy weather. I have a couple other leather for other carry.
Hope everyone stays safe.
"But who prays for satan? Who in eighteen hundred years has had the common humanity to pray for the sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain

My answer isn't in the choices given, but it's closest to "Yes, everywhere the law allows." I rarely leave the neighborhood without it, but I also don't always bother for a trip to the nearest convenience store for a six pack (and the guns go in the safe before the bottle gets opened).

I, like several here, am relatively new to EDC, having purchased such tools within the term of TFG because of fans of TFG.

The EDC piece is a P10S in 4;30 IWB. Yeah, lots of folks wouldn't notice if I carry my P10F OWB, but why push things?

I like the way featureless put it: "If I don't have time to chamber, I shouldn't be drawing in the first place, there are other options." To each your own, of course, and it's certainly a good idea to practice (I keep snap caps around for just that reason) one's draw.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Have not changed my vote yet, but things change and I have several holsters since my last response on this thread. For me, the biggest restriction is knowing ahead of time if a place I’m headed allows carry or not. I’m not big on leaving it in the car without some storage.
5E4522C4-E356-4EE2-9E28-F7D824C72291.jpeg
AE393B5C-EFB9-4852-8188-C3E389892C3E.jpeg
Heading toward the carry where legally allowed.
(PS. Re-read this thread. LoL)
Last edited by sikacz on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

highdesert wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:35 am A nice humpback revolver, classic.
I love the “ugly” little beastie! LoL. I’m slowly searching for it’s cousin, a S&W 649 in 357 magnum. I’d like to be able to have the option of some of the newer +P 38 Special rounds. Not that a regular 38 Special isn’t going to be adequate.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:23 pm I had a 6 month hiatus between permits due to moving. Back to carrying whenever I leave the property. Either a 9mm Shield or PCR.
I've enjoyed reading about peoples carry choices. It seems very much that personal preference and evaluation plays a huge role. There doesn't seem to be a single preferred gun to carry. I suspect caliber choices fluctuate the same way. I'm not a caliber stickler, I'd carry any caliber as long as I felt comfortable with the gun.

Rust wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:11 pm sikacz -
S&W has the current 638 'Rated for continuous +P Use.'
I’ve looked at it. It’s an option, I believe that’s the “Airweight” model, frame aluminum and cylinder and barrel stainless steel. I want the all steel 649 eventually, but if the right 638 comes along I might bite.
C1A2CB67-5BBA-4C5C-B6AD-3782F84A9A35.png
It’s not currently in stock. If comes in stock at Cabela’s who knows! LoL.

I do prefer the heavier ones like my 49 and the 649 steel models. They’re around 23 to 24 ounces while the “Airweight” comes in at around 16 ounces.