Re: I had to put my best friend to sleep today

Bucolic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:04 am Sending my condolences.

As the good Dr Seuss said, “Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened “
Absolutely!! Better to have had them in our lives than not. Worth the pain, love the memories.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Thank you so much for your condolences. We were blessed to find a “hospice” vet. She came to the house in mid-August and assessed Gwen. She worked with us to manage her pain and get better traction on wood floors

She called us every two weeks and adjusted meds. Gwen got considerably better and was walking much better. Had bright eyes when she saw me.

I didn't expect her to get better, but just wanted a few more times when we were happy together

But late last week, she sorta fell apart. The brightness went out of her eyes. The vet came out to the house, put on soft music, and listened to a couple of my awful attempts at haikus. Gwen drifted off on her favorite couch curled up against my hunting vest

I’ve been preparing for the day for a while, so I’m having a good percent of smiles

And I’ve got two juvenile delinquent 8 month old lab pups to keep me company. And yell at

Thanks again for your kind words

OldBrowning wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:40 pm
SubRosa wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:40 am :weep: The painful ephemeral nature of pet's lives is something we must bear. :weep:

S u b R o s a
Dozens of dogs have owned me over the last 65 years. The loss has always been painful. I kinda go into the deal knowing it’s ephemeral. And ever so worth it
Yes, it is. Our Elfie was a rare Terv. Didn't obey commands much. Not a guard dog at all (only Belgian I've ever seen that way). She loved to play, loved her walks and could watch an entire football game with me with her head on my lap. Not a mean bone in her little body (Small for a Terv, rarely topped 40#) Sweetest dog on 4 paws. Totally useless. I really miss her.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

chas310 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:44 pm Sorry to hear. I had a English Springer that was my sidekick for 16 years and had to do the same. I swear that dog could find a pheasant from 500 yards away. We were inseparable. I miss her every day still.

Reminds me of my Brittany Spaniel. She could find a grouse 500 yards away. Unfortunately she didn’t point them after she found them. At least I’d get to hear a lot of grouse from 500 yards away
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indulge me a story about Gwen that makes me smile.

Shorthairs have some primordial urge to hunt feathers And fur. Takes forever to break them on rabbits. Could never break her on cats, though

Many years ago, Got a call from the guy next door. “Your dog is up un the roof”. She had pushed out the screen on a dormer to get closer to the cat in the next yard. Not having much regard for gravity, she jumped off said roof. Fortunately the lawn had just been watered and she didn’t kill herself. Left a pretty good imprint of her chest & slowed her down enough that the cat escaped “that time”. Cat went missing a few days later, though