New Round of Irritating TV Ads

Ok, it's "Get off my lawn!" time.
TV ads have gotten truly weirdly obnoxious.
There's 4 that really piss me off:
1) The Liberty Mutual ads with the emu. Some of their ads are funny (at least the first 40 times) like the Zoltan ads and the young, inept actor. But the emu ones aren't funny and make me NOT want to use them!
2) Allstate ads with the guy as disaster. They make my skin crawl. Only the one with Tina Fey and him pretending to be a St. Bernard puppy is funny--because of Tina Fey.
3) Not to be outdone, State Farm (and Aaron Rodgers) ads are like a really bad smell that turns your stomach.
4) Credit Sesame. Most are pretty bad, but the one of the "nice" White blonde lady being grilled by a tough Black lady and a guy with a Snidely Whiplash mustache hits every racist and sexist stereotype. I have to turn down the volume with that one.

Dishonorable Mention: The one for a brokerage--not sure if it's T.Rowe or Schwab where the OTHER broker is portrayed as a thief. Naturally he as the same first name as me. Seems my name is always the bad guy, or the nerd, or the guy who dies!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: New Round of Irritating TV Ads

You'll wish for those ads when all you see are Trump campaign ads in the fall. :)

I hate all brokerage ads. "Don't you want to be rich? Give us your money!" Damn con men. I know brokers and know how it really works.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The original Alstate Mayhem ad with the "shakey....shakey shakey shakey...." won me. The rest haven't quite measured up. I like watching them to see if they come close. Sometimes, but not usually. I'm not familiar with the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapQTM1v1Qs

ETA: It's his grin and giggle that do it for me. Particularly when he's an inanimate object. They rock. His chuckle is okay. The ones when he's a random human bad driver are very meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3gcVn1POo
Last edited by 58Hawken on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 am I watch a lot of streaming college sports, so I'm seeing adds again. Mercedes and Lexus are about the worst...they make me want to get my pitchfork and torch..
Yeah, those car ads are all over college sports. Truck ads, too. Annoying.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 am I watch a lot of streaming college sports, so I'm seeing adds again. Mercedes and Lexus are about the worst...they make me want to get my pitchfork and torch..
The ads don't get me. Mid-life crisis is making seeing Jags and BMWs on the road test my resolve between affluent and frugal. Then I look at their MPG and maintenance costs and say, "Eff that! WTH is wasting that kind of money??" I'll stick with my little Honda Fit spacepod, thank you very much. I can lay the back seat down and have plenty of room for a day at the range, including target stands.

SubRosa wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am Peloton. All Peloton ads suck an entire exercise machine.

If it that bad for you, stop by and I'll show you how to change a 14:00-20 radial truck tire...

RS
That and the "Mirror, mirror on the wall!" ads. You know that "exercise mirror"? notice how they don't tell you the price--or the monthly fee. The mirror is $1500, and the monthly is something like $40 (I think)! Buys an AWFUL lot of gym membership months!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:08 pm
SubRosa wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am Peloton. All Peloton ads suck an entire exercise machine.

If it that bad for you, stop by and I'll show you how to change a 14:00-20 radial truck tire...

RS
That and the "Mirror, mirror on the wall!" ads. You know that "exercise mirror"? notice how they don't tell you the price--or the monthly fee. The mirror is $1500, and the monthly is something like $40 (I think)! Buys an AWFUL lot of gym membership months!
All aimed at a certain group of people with too much disposable income - and possibly overweight and divorced?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:37 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:08 pm

RS
All aimed at a certain group of people with too much disposable income - and possibly overweight and divorced?
Better than cocaine or crystal meth.

I'm an advertisers worse nightmare....................I find some ads amusing, entertaining or spot on, but can never remember who sponsored. This isn't something that's happened as I've reached old age - it has been an adult lifetime occurrence. Like the woodchucks chucking wood or the one semi-barred regarding cleaning 'dirty balls' - haven't a clue right now whom placed the ads. Just don't give a flip - but they are funny.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

the simple solution would be to turn off the tv. of course i have no right to be all self-righteous, i can't seem to tear myself away from the internet, and i think it's dumbing me down.
"dave, my mind is going. i can feel it, i can feel it... daisy, daisy, give me your answer, do..."
Last edited by lurker on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Wino wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:38 pm This ad will cheer you up and for a short period, make you forget the orange ogre.
Oy vey!

Reminds me of the old riddle:
"What does a man do standing up, a woman do sitting down, and a dog does on 3 legs...and keep it clean!"

We are shifting to more on demand rather than networks. I’m including most of those on cable or AT&T Now. I can watch the same shows without the ads. On CBS all access the ads are blacked out and only there for a few seconds. You watch the show and about where they would break for an ad the screen goes blank and then the show resumes.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

KlownKannon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:06 am Is there anything that doesn't bug you?
Hmmm...Let me think....Can I get back to you on that?

Ah! Those big Hershey Milk chocolate bars with almonds, and Swing's Coffee! Oh, and good rum, tequila, brandy, and Ramazzotti Amaro. And Estwing hammers and Spiderco Seki City pocket knives.

I don't watch a lot of TV and now the ads bug me a lot, too. Podcasts make it easy to skip through ads and my browser shows empty spaces for most ads. I am now spoiled. Or, I became aware of how many ads are polluting my day every day - on cars, trucks, billboards, radio, internet, etc. I really can't stand most ads anymore.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt